Ga. cop fatally shot at Waffle House

GRIFFIN, Ga. -- A 43-year-old police officer and father of seven was shot and killed Saturday morning while working an off-duty security job in full uniform.

Authorities say three suspects are in custody in connection with the shooting death of Officer Kevin Jordan, who had been with the Griffin Police Department for four years.

The altercation began when two men and a woman who were allegedly causing a disturbance at a Waffle House on U.S. 19 were asked to leave the restaurant about 2:30 a.m. Saturday, police said. A fight broke out after Jordan got them outside and tried to handcuff the woman, authorities said.

“As he was on the ground trying to cuff her,” Griffin police Officer Mike Richardson told Channel 2 Action News, “one of the males who was with her apparently brandished a firearm and shot (Jordan) three times in the back.”

The bullets went through Jordan’s bulletproof vest. He was rushed to Spalding Regional Medical Center for treatment but did not survive, authorities said.

Jordan’s brother, who had come to the Waffle House to meet with his brother, was in the parking lot when the gunfire erupted, Channel 2 reported. The brother, a civilian, had a permit to carry to a gun, and shot the alleged gunman, according to the television station.

The suspect, identified as 30-year-old Michael Bowman of Griffin, was taken to Atlanta Medical Center, Channel 2 reported. His condition was not immediately available.

Two other suspects, 23-year-old Tyler Taylor and 28-year-old Chantell Mixon, are being held on unknown charges.

The GBI is investigating the incident.

The Mick
The Mick 05/31/14 - 04:42 pm
Condolences to this officer's

Condolences to this officer's family. God bless his law abiding, CWP carrying brother who neutralized the threat. If anybody deserves a quick death penalty verdict, it is a piece of trash who shot a man IN THE BACK 3 times. Way to go tough guy! Sorry the brother could not carry out your penalty there.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/31/14 - 05:04 pm
Totally agree with Mick's

Totally agree with Mick's post! Well said!

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/31/14 - 05:10 pm
My condolences to the Jordan family and all of the members of

the Griffin Police Department especially the Chief who is a 30 year plus friend!

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/31/14 - 06:45 pm
Conceal Weapon Permitted user Detains Cop Killers

Sweet Son has best said it
My condolences to the Jordan family and all of the members of the Griffin Police Department.

If there is a Trust fund set up we will donate.

Just post the information for donations.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/31/14 - 06:57 pm
Gotta ask an obvious

Gotta ask an obvious question...how did the bullets pierce the bullet-proof vest?? Did the bullets go through an unprotected portion of the vest, or was it because the shots may have been at very close range? Anyone have any idea? I think it's VERY disturbing that our officers are out there, trying to protect US, and their equipment might fail them.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 05/31/14 - 07:20 pm
God bless

officer Jordan's soul and God damn bowman, taylor and mixon to eternal hell.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/31/14 - 08:33 pm
And though it doesn't matter

And though it doesn't matter now, I wonder if that thug had a permitted weapon?

Like Noc says, this officer had 7 children and I will donate if someone comes up with a means to do so.

corgimom
corgimom 05/31/14 - 09:44 pm
noc noc and Itsa, Michael

noc noc and Itsa, Michael Bowman, the shooter, is a veteran of the US Army and the Georgia National Guard.

Sort of blows the hole in the theory that the gunman was a thug, doesn't it?

But I bet the PTSD flashback card will be played. And who knows, maybe it's true.

I personally think that alcohol and/or drugs were involved, too, that's what's usually involved at a Waffle House at 2:30 am on a weekend night.

Wonder what CG would have to say about this?

Darby
Darby 06/01/14 - 12:12 am
Had it been my

brother, I doubt that I'd have stopped firing until the hammer fell on an empty chamber.

Don't know that for certain but suspect that's how it would have gone down.

willie Lee
willie Lee 06/01/14 - 12:12 am
Truth

Maybe the cop went a little to far in his attempt?
You do have the right to defend yourself for a illegal arrest.

Airman
Airman 06/01/14 - 07:29 am
Corgi

Where did you get the info on the thug and yes at least alcohol was involved. Copied from AJC: He told the television station that Bowman, Chantell Mixon and Tyler Taylor were drunk when they came to the Waffle House at 1702 North Expressway.
Quote from the officers brother " “I don’t want to be bitter,” Raymond Jordan told Channel 2 Action News. “But the only regret I have is that I didn’t kill him.”

Airman
Airman 06/01/14 - 07:31 am
Donations

A link should be posted today and I will provide on this site also this quote from the Griffin Police, “We are deeply saddened by these events and send our condolences to the family of Officer Jordan,” the department said in a statement. “We request that you keep the Jordan family in your prayers and thoughts as well as our local law enforcement community. Officer Jordan will be greatly missed.”

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 06/01/14 - 08:18 am
elephant

Who shoots a black cop in the back multiple times?

A crazy white man...who probably had a permit to carry as well. The good guy is dead and the bad guy is alive...

1 NRA 0 Society

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 06/01/14 - 08:28 am
the problem

Drunk people with guns...leaglly.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/01/14 - 08:30 am
stats

"Who shoots a black cop in the back multiple times?" Statistically speaking it would have been another black man. But, not in this case.

myfather15
myfather15 06/01/14 - 08:56 am
Corgimom

"Sort of blows the hole in the theory that the gunman was a thug, doesn't it?"

Not necessarily!! I've arrested numerous soliders and other military personnel for drugs and other offenses related to violent crimes. I also served in the Marine Corps with individuals who were court martialled and discharged for criminal activity.

Also, I recently attended a training class on gang activity which indicated that gang's are actually recruiting their members, who don't have criminal historys, to join the military to get the training. It's actually MUCH more prevalent that you might realize. They designate certain teens within their organization to NOT be involved in drugs or other criminal activity; therefore they can enlist in the military. The training is very useful to gangs today.

Now, that doesn't have anything to do with this incident in particular; I'm just saying don't rush to rule out something.

myfather15
myfather15 06/01/14 - 09:10 am
Internationallyunknown

Your comments are disgusting, vile and repugnant!! This is a tragedy and your comments can do nothing postive for the situation!!

It's also illegal to discharge a firearm while intoxicated, so your "leaglly" comment doesn't quite fit!! Did you know that it's also illegal to be disorderly, fight with the police and then murder someone? They didn't follow those law either, now did they?

Never put it past a liberal to take a tragic situation and politicize it!! Bottom line is this guy and the entire group he was with are low life scum!! In today's liberal society, I doubt they will even go for the death penalty, but this scum deserves nothing less than death!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/01/14 - 10:01 am
Thanks myfather, I am tired

Thanks myfather, I am tired of responding to such nonsense. Anyone who would kill an officer in cold blood most certainly is a thug. Too bad the brother didn't put one in his sorry brain.

The Mick
The Mick 06/01/14 - 03:33 pm
I didn't even know the

I didn't even know the officer was black internationallyunkown. I knew the shooter was white because I saw a pic of him. Now that I have all the facts, see my comment above. My position has not changed. But way to make this about race ang gun control. That is after all the focus. Not the tragic loss of life. But at least the shooter will get free health care in prison...just wanted to be sure we tied healthcare into.

Darby
Darby 06/01/14 - 06:07 pm
"Sort of blows the hole in the theory

that the gunman was a thug, doesn't it?"

The military is and has pretty much always been a cross section of American society.

The big difference is that when thugs and criminals are exposed they are rarely tolerated. I had to court-martial one of my best NCO's because he had a nasty habit of beating his wife.

He threw away a fifteen year career because he behaved like an animal.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 06/02/14 - 12:45 am
myfather and others

...that feeling you have after you find out that the suspects were hurling racial slurs.

Yea, that feeling.

myfather15
myfather15 06/03/14 - 04:42 pm
internationallyunknown

I have absolutely no doubt these people are racists!! Now, please explain to me what that has to do with concealed carry permits and the NRA!!

This thread is pretty old, but I will check back to see your answer; or you can just run and hide as usual.