Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Little league gun prompts alarm

Friday, April 25, 2014 9:17 AM
Last updated 6:17 PM

CUMMING, Ga. — A man carrying a gun in a holster prompted parents at a children’s baseball game to halt play and round up the children behind a dugout, but authorities say no crime was committed.

Parents and others at the Forsyth County park north of Atlanta flooded the 911 center with 22 calls about the man Tuesday evening.

Forsyth County sheriff’s deputies questioned the man, and found that he had a valid gun permit. Authorities said that since the man made no verbal threats or gestures, they couldn’t arrest him.

Sheriff Duane Piper said the man had the right to carry the gun, but called his conduct inappropriate.

corgimom
corgimom 04/25/14 - 09:26 am
Who in the HELLO takes a gun

Who in the HELLO takes a gun to a Little League game, with kids?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/25/14 - 09:42 am
Someone that wants to protect

Someone that wants to protect himself and/or his family or anyone else under his care carries a weapon; but he should keep it concealed in public places. There is no point in alarming people unnecessarily. I know a lot of people that are permitted to carry, but they do not want anyone to know it. One good reason for this: it is a strategic advantage to have the element of surprise if you or your loved ones are threatened with bodily harm.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/25/14 - 09:43 am
This is the part that bothers me:

"Parent Karen Rabb tells WSB-TV the man was asking people if they saw his gun, saying there’s nothing anyone could do about it."

Sounds like he was looking to stir trouble.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/25/14 - 10:09 am
If he was really

If he was really spontaneously asking people if they saw his gun and saying there's nothing anyone could do about it, then I suspect he shouldn't be carrying one. If someone noticed his gun before it was in plain view and brought it to everyone's attention and THEN he said that nothing could be done about it, someone is spinning the facts to create a problem where there was none.

docroc
docroc 04/25/14 - 10:38 am
Guns at Little League

A Little League game is a perfect place for a bad guy with a gun to kill many innocent people. Thank goofness that a good guy with a gun was there to protect them. Bad guys with a gun are everywhere. Get used to it, it will never change. Also, get used to having good guys with a gun there to protect you. A gun in a holster is not an evil thing.

Pops
Pops 04/25/14 - 10:39 am
What I would worry about

are the people at high school games, walking around the mall, hanging around the CBD.......with a gun in their pants.....oh....convicted felons with no permit......the kind of over-reaction by parents is turning a whole generation of kids into whimpering little fuzzballs.....

LLArms
LLArms 04/25/14 - 11:25 am
Corgimom

If my kid is at the field playing you can damn well bet I would armed. As a fellow corgi owner your comment is very disappointing and short sighted. Extremely.

gargoyle
gargoyle 04/25/14 - 02:43 pm
That would be called

That would be called Brandishing ,kind of like indecency a little league game is not the time nor place .Keep it covered up.

dwb619
dwb619 04/25/14 - 04:13 pm
4 years

I had mine on me for the four years our grandchildren were playing.
Rode from the house to ball field in golf cart with a load of neighborhood young'uns.
And you know what?
NOBODY ever knew I was packing!

corgimom
corgimom 04/25/14 - 08:17 pm
LLArms, when is the last time

LLArms, when is the last time that you felt threatened at a Little League game?

Um, never?

And doesn't anybody there have cell phones to call 911 if there's a problem?

Because what happens if the gun owner accidentally misses and shoots somebody, like a child?

corgimom
corgimom 04/25/14 - 08:19 pm
All of you are so paranoid,

All of you are so paranoid, and want to carry a gun for "protection".

I lived in a low-income housing project for 3 years, and I didn't have a gun. And if I can do that, and do just fine, that should tell people something.

Because the place was full of drug dealers and criminals, all of whom were armed. Except me.

And I survived just fine.

Airman
Airman 04/25/14 - 08:42 pm
corgimom

good for you and your survival in the low income, drug dealing neighborhood. You were lucky . If a person wants to get a permit and carry a weapon more power to them. We have laws and freedom in this country so that we may defend ourselves. I have a pistol with me everywhere I go, which includes traveling to Augusta many times for my childs soccer games and tournaments. I had only one opportunity to show it when I was threatened with bodily harm by a parent of the opposing team. He was trying to convince me to go to the parking lot so he could kick my [filtered word], i would not entertain his request so he shoved me to the ground, and when he came at me and saw my equalizer he backed off. Not only did he back off he called 911. They came and checked me credentials and asked why I pulled my gun, he forgot to tell them. Long story short he took a ride to the lockup because I pressed charges. I got many emails from the other teams parents thanking me for putting that quote "jackass" in his place. Would I have shot him? Yes, because of his strength and size I would have been beat to death.

corgimom
corgimom 04/25/14 - 11:03 pm
No, I wasn't "lucky", I

No, I wasn't "lucky", I didn't do stupid stuff- like get involved in disputes over ridiculous things.

However, you were willing to kill another human being because of an encounter at a child's soccer game. A child's soccer game, REALLY?

What would possibly go on at a soccer game that would warrant that? And what was YOUR part in the dispute, because it takes two? Were you just standing there peacefully, minding your own business, when from out of nowhere, he just came up to you and threatened you? Somehow, I don't think so.

As I said earlier, when my father told me that when you kill another human being, regardless of the circumstances, it changes you forever.

I believed him, he was awarded the Silver Star and Bronze Star in Korea, and I knew that he knew what he was talking about.

How sad it is to think that a human being would be murdered, and a family destroyed, over something that happened at a child's soccer game. How sad is it to think that many children would be witness to murder, that would traumatize them forever, because two grown men want to argue over foolishness.

And how sad it is to think that you were more than willing to do it.

corgimom
corgimom 04/26/14 - 12:06 am
But you know, Airman, my son

But you know, Airman, my son played soccer for one season. He enjoyed it, the kids were great, the coach was a good guy.

But after one season, we said, "Never again"- and it was because of the parents. Grown folk, usually men, that wanted to get involved in stupid disputes over a children's soccer game. It was disgusting. The behavior of the adults was appalling. They would scream at the refs, scream at the kids, scream at each other.

And we said that we didn't want our child in that atmosphere, with adults behaving in such a fashion; and it was a shame that overgrown children couldn't control themselves, and ruin soccer for a bunch of kids, that were just having fun.

And we know other parents that feel the same way and had the same experiences that we did.

Your story is a classic example of why we wouldn't allow our son to play on a soccer team ever again.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/26/14 - 07:28 am
At a ball game

I would rather have concealed carry at the game...why showcase your gun in front of crowds.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/26/14 - 07:59 am
Overreacting parents

Probably Yankees who were transferred down here and had a hissy fit when they saw an actual weapon. Georgia law says he was well within his rights, and good for him.

Airman
Airman 04/26/14 - 10:50 am
corgi your answer

I was the teams manager, it was a traveling team. Three months earlier I had to ask the man to curb his language, the F word constantanly. He was unhappy and threatened me. When he did one of the parents from the team tried to calm him down. He punched her and was quickly subdued by other parents. Within 5 minutes his son was given a red card(removed from the game). Dad stormed on the field and cursed the ref. He was ejected from the park. He would not leave and the ref called the stopped the game and called the police. He now has more charges on his record. Fast forward to when we traveled to Augusta. I did not see him coming but when I did and recognized him, and thought what he did to the female and what he was trying to do to me I used my rights as a law abiding citizen to protect myself. Had I done anything to provoke this I am sure someone would have told the LEO that showed up. Now you have the facts, dont be so quick to be judgmental. I deceided to check on this guy and found out he was sentenced to 14 months one year later for assault with a deadly weapon, and yes it was at a youth sports event. I love the Internet

Airman
Airman 04/26/14 - 10:58 am
corgimom

I can appreciate what you say about the parents. I kept mine in line by posting a field marshall at each game, they knew the rules and consequences. My son played from age 4. He was on a National ?Travel team in high school and his high school team went to the state championship all four years he played, won only once. He went on to play college ball and will graduate this year. He is going to a major university and my expense is under 20,000$ for four years.