Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man killed in crash on McDade Road

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:34 PM
Last updated 10:25 PM

An Augusta man is dead after he cut a corner on his motorcycle and struck a car Tuesday, authorities say.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Ervin A. Gay, 44, died after he crossed into the opposite lane on a curve in the 1800 block of McDade Road and struck the front end of a Ford Mustang headed in the opposite direction, according to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office release.

He was pronounced dead at the scene by Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen at 6:50 p.m. Blunt force trauma is listed as the cause of death.

Gay was traveling too fast for conditions, the release stated.

No autopsy will be scheduled, but a toxicology will be performed to test for drugs and alcohol, Bowen said.

Butterman
Butterman 04/15/14 - 08:53 pm
Deadly

I am not surprised by this. McDade Rd is very dangerous with lots of blind spots and curves. Traffic goes much too fast on that road

iaaffg
iaaffg 04/16/14 - 05:33 am
the road isn't dangerous.

the road isn't dangerous. roads are inanimate objects, built by error-prone humans, so you'd be more correct in saying dangerous humans built a badly-designed road. the humans driving the roads are at error whenever an accident occurs. the road merely sits there, it doesn't rise up and start dancing, it doesn't decide to suddenly veer off in another direction just for the heck of it. road: inanimate object. humans: animate objects, subject to bad decisions, error-making, impatience, driving while under influence, showing off for friends, in a hurry and can't slow down, too important to obey the speed limits, talking on phones, playing with electronic devices while driving, etc etc etc. quit calling roads dangerous. put the blame where it lays: on humans.

WAG
WAG 04/16/14 - 06:28 am
OMG do ya really think it is

OMG do ya really think it is the time to lay blame. A life is gone way too soon! Praying for family!

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/16/14 - 06:39 am
1st of all my Condolences to the Gay Family for their loss.

Regarding McDade Rd.
I have traveled McDade Rd for off and on over 42 years.
Both the dirt and now less fun paved version.
There are additional reasons involved besides the road in this case.

georgiapeach9848
georgiapeach9848 04/16/14 - 07:17 am
RIP Ervin Gay

I knew this man, he was a very kind, loving person. My prayer go out to the family. McDade Rd. is a very dangerous road. This is a very sad time for his family and friends and to put a comment up like iaaffg did is very heartless.

Butterman
Butterman 04/16/14 - 08:40 am
Blind spots

I know exactly where this wreck happened and it is a dangerous spot on that road. It has been for years, especially for motorcycles. The combination of blind spots and speeding traffic is a recipe for disaster. Get some rumble strips or mirrors installed at the blind spots.. or better yet, get some cops out there patrolling on a regular basis to write tickets to the many speeders.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/16/14 - 09:33 am
gapeach, I am sorry for the

gapeach, I am sorry for the lost of your friend but I didn't see anything wrong with iaaffg's comment. All he/she stated was a road isn't responsible for anything......If drivers (of any road) slowed down, paid attention, and drive defensively, most accidents could be avoided. And WAG, I see where no one has blamed this young man for anything.

People hurting have a tendency to read what they think someone is saying instead of actually reading what that person has said.

rebellious
rebellious 04/16/14 - 10:08 am
Slow Down

on these motorcycles, for your own safety! There is one who comes by my house daily. There is a quarter mile straight stretch of highway, and the driver must reach speeds in excess of 100 mph as he passes my house. I pause, hold my breath, and listen to the high pitch whine waiting for that moment when it suddenly stops. This driver has been fortunate, but I dread the day the engine sound ends. When it does, it will be no one's fault but the driver.

Kettle donations rise in 2014