Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Hit-and-run driver kills teen

Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:36 AM
Last updated 3:47 PM

Police are looking for a hit-and-run driver after a teenage pedestrian was killed and another injured on Gordon Highway late Saturday.

Deputy Coroner Kenneth Boose pronounced Zykeith Harris, 14, of Augusta, dead early today. An autopsy will be performed in Atlanta, he said.

The second teen was taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center with serious injuries.

The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office is asking the public’s help in identifying the vehicle that struck the two youths on the 1400 block of Gordon Highway near Dan Bowles Road after 11 p.m. Saturday.

moonlighter6
moonlighter6 04/13/14 - 09:17 am
Tragic

Please drive safely and be aware of pedestrians.
My heartfelt prayers for the family and friends.

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/13/14 - 09:18 am
Why were kids this young out

Why were kids this young out at almost 12 walking the streets???? Do parents not have curfews. This could have been avoided had a parent done their job.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/13/14 - 09:29 am
For a better understanding- The OLIVE RD area

While I feel bad for the family that lost their child.
I have to also ask, why is a 14 year old out so late on a Saturday night?

Plus this is another example of pedestrian traffic crossing major roads vs faster moving vehicles in conflict.

Suggestions:
RCSO should spend some time enforcing jaywalking laws and slowing down traffic at crosswalks areas.

Lights need to be timed to allow pedestrians time to across. A few here in ARC require a fast pace to safely accomplish a crossing and are NOT ADA compliant. A few of these downtown on Broad St., only allow a 1/2 crossing between lights.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/13/14 - 09:35 am
God bless

Master Harris' soul and keep his arms around the other injured youth.

mllange
mllange 04/13/14 - 09:58 am
Before I clicked on the

Before I clicked on the comments section of this article, I thought to myself "I'll bet someone is more concerned with why this child was out so late, than with the fact that someone has killed him." Sure enough, when I clicked on it... There they were. Does the reason he was out so late contribute to someone running him over and leaving? Say we have the answer to that question, will it matter? Let's ask a more pertinent question like for example: can the witness describe the car? What type of car should we be looking out for? Condolences to the family for this tragedy.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 04/13/14 - 10:04 am
whats going on?

Two students lost their lives during the spring break....how sad. May God be with the family and friends of these two young men.

allhans
allhans 04/13/14 - 11:33 am
Did the second child die?

Did the second child die?

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/13/14 - 12:58 pm
Oh brother give me a break!

Oh brother give me a break! Of course there is sympathy for the child that died BUT had that kid been supervised by parents with sense he would not be DEAD!! There is nothing good going on on Olive Road after dark.

curly123053
curly123053 04/13/14 - 01:27 pm
Sad

While what was a young teen doing out that late a good question, it is not the primary question. I want to know why the driver did not stop after striking the two youths? This is no longer an accident we are talking about. We are dealing with a homicidal driver now. Why the youngsters were out is not going to solve this problem now. Now we need to keep the family in our prayers and pray that justice is delivered for this homicide and vehicular assault.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/13/14 - 02:55 pm
They were boys, and teenagers on spring break for pete's sake.

Being out at 11 pm doesn't mean their parents or guardians were being irresponsible, or that the boys themselves were either. Midnight was our Saturday curfew, although my brothers and I spent many weeks grounded over the years for missing our curfew when we were teenagers. Boys that age do that kind of thing and always have. It doesn't mean they're bad kids or that their parents aren't excellent parents.

Somebody ran over them and then left them to die. That is the fact that we know from this story.

like-it-is
like-it-is 04/13/14 - 03:14 pm
scoobydoo/news

Where did u see Olive Rd? I will keep these families in my prayers. So sad and hope the person that did this hit-in-run turn his self in.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/13/14 - 03:43 pm
Near Olive RD

1 light up towards Augusta near the Old Dixie Scrape yard light

GOOGLE MAP

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/13/14 - 03:43 pm
BTW: I stand in remise of myself,

for focusing on the teens being out late and crossing a dangerous intersection even under lighted conditions.

The Jack*** that fled the scene should have been 1st on my list.

One thing does not change is the greater need for Crossing area enforcement. Because too many drivers use the Crosswalk White as the stopping point on Red. Too many people in the Gordon Hwy area from Molly Pond Rd down to Dean Bridge Rd take their lives in their hands illegally crossing Gordon Hwy to save a 5 min walk by not using a Crosswalk.

In fact I Blogged last week here on this very item involving a few woman and toddlers crossing from South Gate Waffle House to a budget motel and the toddlers both left behind in the middle of oncoming traffic.

Airman
Airman 04/13/14 - 03:57 pm
Disturbing

OK lets think about, mom is home taking care of a sick child and sends the boys out to get something from the store. Judge not lest you be judged. I hit someone years back on a bicycle. I stopped to render aid, in a very bad area. A gang of men came rushing towards me with what looked like ball bats. I jumped back in the van and left, four miles later found a pay phone and called the state patrol. They requested I meet them at the scene. I refused, requested them meet me and take me to the scene. We got there and nothing but my skid marks. They took me back to my van and I went to my hotel for the rest of the week of meetings. On the third night I had a message to call the patrolman. I did and he informed me another tourist hit the bicyclist the next night. He stopped and was badly beaten and robbed. You never know, it could be fear, they may not realize what they did, so until we have all the facts do not judge anyone please

willie Lee
willie Lee 04/13/14 - 07:36 pm
Sympathies!

My Sympathies to the family.

Pops
Pops 04/13/14 - 07:47 pm
I was a lot younger than

14 when I realized that man versus car was not in man's favor.......used to see people hit on bikes and motorcycles a lot on Lumpkin Road in the 60's......even at a young age people make decisions that kill...........sometimes themselves......oh.....I'll bet the parents couldn't have guessed within 5 miles where their exemptions were at that hour.....

Pops
Pops 04/13/14 - 08:00 pm
Headline should read

"Teen Kills Self By Stepping Out In Front Of Car".......

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/13/14 - 08:05 pm
The most misquoted verse in the BIBLE

Judging Others

1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.

2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?

5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Verse 5 gives us the true meaning of this teaching.
Jesus is teaching against hypocrisy, not judgment!

oldfella
oldfella 04/13/14 - 08:25 pm
Hear about the Detroit beating?

Last week in Detroit a man was beaten by a mob (now he's in a medically induced coma) when he struck a kid and tried to help the kid - and the kid was barely injured. Imagine what a mob would do if the driver killed him! True, Augusta is not Detroit. But like Airman told about, hanging around is suicidal. Not saying this is the case, but if it were I would not be surprised.

Adam Bomb
Adam Bomb 04/14/14 - 06:28 am
Autopsy done in Atlanta

Why do we have to pay for a trip to Atlanta and back when there is a fully operational autopsy lab at the Webster Detention Center on Phinizy road? Some palms must have been greased to let Atlanta get the autopsy business while other Counties must drag bodies back and forth to Atlanta. Doesn't anybody care. Deke doesn't seem to. He won't even talk about it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/14/14 - 06:54 am
airman--you reminded me of something

In the Atlanta area--mainly Buckhead this is happening..

A nice expensive car is sitting at stop sign late at night usually....a car comes from behind & taps the first car....when the first car driver gets out to inspect the damage, he is attacked by thugs with guns....they take money--keys--car--all valuables from 1st driver...in other words---mugged in your own backyard...police say to call 911, but that seldom happens til the damage has been done.

Airman
Airman 04/14/14 - 07:15 am
seenitb4

Yes being in the ATL Metro I hear of this frequently. My incident was in the 80's coming back from Savannah to Hilton head. An old bicycle and mannequin was used.
I stay in the Burbs after dark mostly, I live in Fayette County where crime is very low

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/14/14 - 07:21 am
Airman

It is low NOW...but have you noticed the uptick in crime in Gwinnett? We are now the most diverse county in the state....things are changing & we are adding more police....we now pay extra in hoa fees to have this neighborhood patroled.....Columbia county is dreaming if they don't plan for the very same thing. imho