Aiken County crash kills 15-year-old

Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:31 PM
Last updated 9:05 PM

A 15-year-old Silver Bluff High School student has died at Georgia Regents Medical Center.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said Kumar G. Falconer was the rear-seat passenger in a 1999 Jeep driven by his brother when it crashed Tuesday morning on Dragstrip Road near Jackson. He was pronounced dead the next day.

Carlton said the driver lost control of the vehicle, which hit an embankment and overturned several times, ejecting Kumar, the only person not wearing a seat belt.

Excessive speed appears to have been a factor in the crash, Carlton said. It was the fifth fatal crash in Aiken County this year.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 04/03/14 - 11:44 am
So Tragic

You wish you could turn back the clock, and have him buckle up like the rest of them. Thoughts and prayers to the family. Kumar's brother will have to live with this for the rest of his life ! So sorry...

Mike Rosier
Mike Rosier 04/03/14 - 02:17 pm
SBHS Crash ..

One of the very few (if any) negatives of attending Silver Bluff High School is the fact that students'faculty must travel dangerous roads to get there .. Both Highway 278 and Dragstrip Road can be deadly .. my brother was involved in a terrible crash on 278 when he was a freshman at SBHS .. prayers go out to this grief-stricken family ..

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/03/14 - 03:28 pm
God bless

Master Falconer's soul.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/03/14 - 03:38 pm
Everything

Mike Rosier posted:

Both Highway 278 and Dragstrip Road can be deadly.

Just about any road can be deadly.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/03/14 - 04:26 pm
I understand his post. It

I understand his post. It seems those roads have more than average crashes.

Mike Rosier
Mike Rosier 04/03/14 - 05:37 pm
Little Lamb ..

What you say is true, of course, but I believe if you were to conduct research on those roadways with surrounding roads you would see my point .. much of that is due likely to all the additional traffic on the roads, but I think the facts would still bear out my point ..

corgimom
corgimom 04/03/14 - 08:26 pm
All of Aiken County is filled

All of Aiken County is filled with dangerous roads, they are nothing more than paved wagon tracks.

KSL
KSL 04/03/14 - 08:56 pm
The key thing was "excessive

The key thing was "excessive speed." And the lack of a seat belt.

KSL
KSL 04/03/14 - 08:57 pm
And failure to maintain

And failure to maintain control of the vehicle.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/04/14 - 06:40 am
Point

The wise KSL got the point. It is not usually the road which is deadly; it's the driving behavior.

curly123053
curly123053 04/04/14 - 06:47 am
Drive Safe !!

The roads do not cause the accidents. The accidents are caused by careless driving 99% of the time. Driving according to the conditions of the road will prevent the majority of accidents all across the CSRA.
After years of working EMS I used to wince, and still do, when news stories are blaming the weather and everything else for accidents. Drive according to the road conditions folks. I have worked many crashes along 278 in Aiken and Barnwell Counties with EMS. The speed limits are there for a purpose, just like the no passing zones. Drivers violating those two areas were the reason for a lot of the wrecks I worked out there.

curly123053
curly123053 04/04/14 - 06:50 am
And yes, Drag Strip Rd can be

And yes, Drag Strip Rd can be dangerous, unless you are not driving at or below the posted speed limit. It is curvy and hilly, but when the speed limit is adhered to it is no problem. I been down it many times.

South Carolina
South Carolina 04/04/14 - 04:38 pm
I'm sure the family & driver

I'm sure the family & driver (brother) will ALWAYS remember what all factored in Kumar's death. Excessive speed & no seat belt may had led to his death and I'm sure the brother is grieving in the worst way imaginable. Unfortunately, it happened and a young boy is gone. My son was friends with Kumar and he is heartbroken over his death. I feel for the family and will continue to pray for them.

curly123053
curly123053 04/04/14 - 05:11 pm
Sad

I hate it too. My prayers are with the family and friends and fellow students of Kumar. Many of the youth at my church went to Silver Bluff and they are all heart broken. I hate it when this happens and just hope a lesson can be learned from this tragedy. I remember Kumar from the high school football season since I attended many Silver Bluff games. His absence will be noticed.