“We were very, very fortunate,” Vice President Lee Bonecutter said.
The facility at 1301 New Savannah Road processes beef products and employs about 500 people, according to the Augusta Economic Development Authority. No animals were injured in the fire.
Lt. Neal Brown, who investigated the blaze, said it appears electrical problems above the ceiling started the fire. Firefighters were called about 1 a.m. and spent more than five hours at the scene containing flames and putting out hots spots.
Although damage to the roof was minimal, officials said, much of the facility will be closed for about a week while repairs are made.
Maintenance employees should report at their regularly scheduled times. All other employees should call (706) 364-5063 for updates, company officials said.