Athens man arrested for beating teen boy showering with stepdaughter

Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:21 AM
Last updated 6:13 PM

ATHENS, Ga. -- Police said they arrested a man for assaulting a teen who he caught showering with his stepdaughter.

Police charged Clinton Antonio Ward, 49, with battery, and first- and third-degree cruelty to children for the Tuesday assault at the man’s home on Creekstone Drive.

Ward’s arrest came after his own 911 call to report that teens were in his apartment, according to police.

When officers arrived they spoke with Ward’s 16-year-old stepdaughter, who said Ward was not home when she and her boyfriend, also 16, went into the shower, police said.

When the teens got out of the shower they found Ward sitting on a couch in the living room, at which time he pushed aside his stepdaughter and shoved her naked boyfriend into a wall, where he began punching him in the face and chest, according to police.

Ward gave a similar story, saying that when he got home he heard his stepdaughter in the bathroom talking and then heard a male’s voice, but thought the teen might be speaking to someone on speaker phone, police said.

He told officers he waited in the living room and grabbed the teen when he emerged from the bathroom, telling him to gather his belongings and get out, police said. Ward also admitted to punching the teen.

The boyfriend’s mother was contacted and told officers she wanted charges brought against Ward, police said.

Police said that in addition to battery, Ward was charged with first-degree cruelty to children for “maliciously causing a child under the age of 18 cruel, excessive or mental pain.” The lesser cruelty charge was for allowing his stepdaughter to witness the assault, according to police.

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 03/27/14 - 10:29 am
All I Can Say........

Is wow! I guess dad could have handled this differently, however, the teenager is lucky it didn't end like the last episode of this, just last week I believe, where the teen was killed.

my.voice
my.voice 03/27/14 - 10:31 am
"The boyfriend’s mother was

"The boyfriend’s mother was contacted and told officers she wanted charges brought against Ward"

Had this been my mama, she'd have given me far worse than the daddy did.

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 03/27/14 - 10:40 am
Who's side is the law on?

Dad is charged for protecting her? What the heck! I would have provably beat the kid up too.

Itsallnew11
Itsallnew11 03/27/14 - 10:45 am
The boys mother should

have beat the tar out of him and thanked the girls father for doing the same. Mine would have had another one coming when he got home. Heck he probably would have gotten one the way home. The daughter would be getting a hefty punishment too because he wasn't the only one in the wrong.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/27/14 - 10:55 am
Settle Down

Hopefully, some wise police sergeant or chief will convince the boy's mother to drop the charges.

corgimom
corgimom 03/27/14 - 11:03 am
This is what's wrong today,

This is what's wrong today, the dummy parent that takes up for their child when they do wrong.

I would've said, "You got what you deserved, you had no business doing what you were doing."

jimmymac
jimmymac 03/27/14 - 11:15 am
PUNISHMENT

The lack of parental judgment is why were having so many problems with kids today. My dad would have beat the crap out of anyone in the shower with my sister. The boy deserved what he got and his mom is an idiot for sticking up for him. She should have thanked the man and gave the punk another whipping. The girl should have gotten her rear end whipped as well.

JusSayin81
JusSayin81 03/27/14 - 11:24 am
Agree and Disagree

I agree and disagree with the posts above. Yes, they both deserved to be punished since they are clearly not grown but the father had no right to put his hands on someone else's child. The boy's mother had every right to punish him but the girl's dad...not so much!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/27/14 - 11:50 am
JusSayin...the boy is no

JusSayin...the boy is no longer a "child" when he is 16 and, presumably, engaging in sexual relations. He's bold enough to do it when the parents aren't home, and then he is brazen enough to take a shower with the "hussy" girl? Yes, he was in the right place and at the right time for a major butt-whooping. And let's not forget about the girl! She deserves some definite punishment, more readily administered by the mother...IF the mother had any sense!

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/27/14 - 12:25 pm
"but the father had no right

"but the father had no right to put his hands on someone else's child."

I'm sure the law says he had no legal right.....but he had EVERY moral right.

leebraxjr
leebraxjr 03/27/14 - 12:42 pm
Rights of Protection

I will not comment on the girl in this case. I will comment on the boy's parents. Based on the parents actions it really shows the reality between reality and TV. When the boy's family decided to press charges they did not realize apparently that the dad can press charges against the kid for rape, consent does not matter in this case, Trespassing, endangerment. Also the parents must not realize that once this case is through, if even goes to court, they can be charged in a Civil suit.
This whole story is really sad because when things get out of control like the boy and girl taking a shower, the parents need to act a a unit instead of making a complete mess of a problem that could easily be handled.

leebraxjr
leebraxjr 03/27/14 - 12:50 pm
Parent had no right putting his hands on

This man had every right to put his hands on this child. First, the boy should not have been in the house. Second, the man had every right to defend his home.
For the life of me will someone please explain the attitudes of the time out cards parents are issued to give to their children. As much as a parent claims they will do anything to protect their kids, has anyone asked what will you do to help your children to grow and respect of others? I wish no harm to anyone, but I will say this, who amongst you can stand to have a rock thrown at your Glass House?

JusSayin81
JusSayin81 03/27/14 - 01:12 pm
I figured I would get slack for previous statement

I also have a 16 year old boy and I know for a fact that at 16, you aren't grown. You are still a child and I also know that in the state of GA, you are "legel" to have consensual sex at the riping age of 16. I didn't say the "grown kids" in this situation didn't deserve to be punished. All I said was the man should not have put his hands on someone else's child. I know that if any parent hit my child, I would have rage beyond control. I would punish him myself. I agree they both deserve the proper punishment but come on leebraxjr, "defend his home?" From who...a 16 year old boy? That has nothing to do with the issue at hand. I didn't read anywhere in this article where he fealt his house was threatened. And dichotomy, you are right, he had his moral right but it still wasn't his place to put his hands on someone else's "child."

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/27/14 - 01:24 pm
If I or any morally correct father are on the jury

DADDY WALKS/
with a recommendation the 16 brat be charged some thing.

While I would send the daughter on an extended summer trip to some distant aunts house, minus a smart phone and internet.

I am sure there are some liberals that would encourage her to express herself and purchase her a years supply of Birth control. All while calling her an budding female coming into her adulthood.

BTW: there too many budding adults raising multiple kids with no sperm donor around.

Cynical old woman
Cynical old woman 03/27/14 - 01:29 pm
Ridiculous

That the mom would press charges. If it were my daughter I'd give him a reward! A great step-father in my opinion.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/27/14 - 01:31 pm
If "someone else's child" was putting his hands all over my

child, I would do everything necessary to ensure that it stopped and never, ever happened again. That kid would be lucky to walk out of my house on his own after violating the sanctity of my home and the physical person of my child, even if she "consented".

I'm pretty sure he would never again find himself in possession of an appendage able to be used for his pleasure in my house or around my daughter. I would hope just the sight of her would have him shrinking away from her in every way possible.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 03/27/14 - 01:40 pm
I would have put his naked

I would have put his naked butt out on the front lawn THEN called the law - oh wait, that may have caused "excessive mental anguish or pain". Heck, I may have put her carcass out there too...knuckleheads.

Cool heads usually do not prevail when you come upon a situation like this, that's for sure!

JusSayin81
JusSayin81 03/27/14 - 01:46 pm
Why is it...

that I am not hearing anyone talk about the punishment of the girl? I never said he wasn't a great step-dad. I am raising a daugther as well and I am sure at some point, you step outside your mind in situations like this. I don't know what I would do if it did happen but this was a two way street and it seems all the blame is being put on the boy. That is very interesting seeing as how BOTH of them were naked, walking out of the shower, etc. If I ever heard a male voice while my daughter was in the shower, or a female voice while my son was, I wouldn't just sit on the couch. I would investigate. Regardless, this is about your opinion and my opinion and they will continually be different. I am looking at it from a mom's point of view. The bottom line, they both deserve punishment but they deserve it from their own parents. My kids also have a step father and he is a great one. I also know that in my house, where charges could be pressed, he would not put his hands on another child. When these kids become 18, legally grown, and they put themselves in a man's position, then do what is necessary. 16 is still the age of a child...period!!!!

JusSayin81
JusSayin81 03/27/14 - 01:49 pm
Furthermore

Fiat_Lux, I would do everything I could to keep "another child's" hands off of my daughter as well....EVERYTHING LEGAL!!!!

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/27/14 - 02:04 pm
How many people on here

want to give this guy a medal? (Click the green thumbs up in the top right corner if you do)
I would have done the same.
The sad thing is that up until about 10 or 15 years ago the police would have arrested the boyfriend and that would have been all. The good old days.

foxsilong
foxsilong 03/27/14 - 02:29 pm
Consent age 16 yes but please bring it somewhere else

At age 16, you obviously can make decision to have sex with whoever you want, but you can be 100 years old and you still can't trespass someone else's property.
You are allowed to do anything as you please but don't let it be in my property. If you're inside my property when I am not made aware, you will get hit.

john
john 03/27/14 - 02:51 pm
wow

id be in jail too. Hurt the first one, word will spread. And if it was me, my mom would have....well. She wouldnt have been pressing charges.

burninater
burninater 03/27/14 - 02:58 pm
Punishment for disrespecting

Punishment for disrespecting reasonable household rules is entirely reasonable.

But physical assault and battery? Red headed is right, it can be difficult to keep a cool head -- but that ability is what keeps us from being savages.

Another person's failings are no excuse for us to cater to animalistic rage. How deeply narcissistic is it to think that another person's disrespect is a reasonable excuse to physically beat them?

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 03/27/14 - 03:08 pm
First things first

I am looking at this from a legal perspective, and not a moralistic or vigilante perspective.

The step-father is wrong. Period. He violated the law by striking the boy. Unless there is more to the story (that wasn't reported), the step-father struck the 16 year-old in an unprovoked attack.

For the benefit of leebraxjy, your statement "the dad can press charges against the kid for rape, consent does not matter in this case" is incorrect. As the story is reported, no rape occurred. No sex actually occurred. No where in the story does it say that the two were engaged in a sexual act. We can infer, but those are NOT the facts. The young man was not trespassing if he was invited into the house by the female, IF she had a legal right to be there. Sixteen is the legal age of consent. I could see bringing "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor" charges against both, but I don't think those charges would stick.

Using physical violence against someone who is not threatening you is grounds for an arrest. I don't care if anyone feels someone else deserved the beating or not. What the step-father did was illegal ad the police were correct in bringing the charges. Now it's up to a court to decide his guilt.

myfather15
myfather15 03/27/14 - 03:18 pm
JusSayin81

"but the father had no right to put his hands on someone else's child."

Ding dong, you're wrong!! When that 16 year old went into the man's HOME, without permission; he gave the stepfather that right!! I have three daughters, I had better not catch a young man in my house or I WILL go to jail myself!!

People like this is EXACTLY what is wrong with the world!! First of all, I fooled around as a teenager, but I would NEVER have went to my girlfriends house to do it. Not only would my mother NOT pressed charges on the step-father; but after the beating he gave me, she would have beat me too!!! Then probably took me back over there so step-daddy could have one more round of my backside!!

And people wonder why our children are so bold today?? So unafraid of consequence!!! It's because of mother's like in this story and attitudes of people like you!!

I'm glad I wasn't the police on this call, because I wouldn't have arrested step-dad!!

myfather15
myfather15 03/27/14 - 03:23 pm
"The step-father is wrong.

"The step-father is wrong. Period. He violated the law by striking the boy."

So, you're telling me that I have absolutely NO RIGHT, to protect my home against people coming in that are NOT invited???

Well, since I have 3 young daughters; I guess it will be a free for all at my house in a few years!!!

As more and more time goes by, I really start disliking this world we live in, more and more!! People are making wrong into right and right into wrong!!! This little PUNK, deserves whatever butt whoppin he took!!! He is lucky to be alive!! You don't go into someone elses house uninvited!!! NO, this is NOT the teen girls house, it's her parents house!! The boy KNEW he was doing wrong in TWO different ways!!! Going into the home and having sex with the daughter!!

Having sex with her, I'm not so upset about, because she was willing and we were ALL teenagers once!! I had many girlfriends in high school and yes we had sex, but NEVER in her parents home!! I knew exactly what their daddies would do to me if caught; so we found different places!!

myfather15
myfather15 03/27/14 - 03:27 pm
16 years old is NOT a child!!

16 years old is NOT a child!! Maybe in YOUR eyes, but he is only one year from being recognized as an adult legally!! It's not a child, it's a teenager!! I've been to MANY calls where teenagers actually beat up their father!! A 16 year old is not uncapable of defending himself!! It's not like he was beating a 9 year old boy!!

DoggieMom
DoggieMom 03/27/14 - 03:28 pm
Stand Your Ground

If this happened in Florida, the step/dad could have shot the male teen , just protecting his home. All perfectly legal! Kid is lucky to be alive! Go shower somewhere else.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 03/27/14 - 03:31 pm
myfather15

You are a law enforcement officer, correct? Where in the story does it say he didn't have permission. He was apparently invited into the home by the daughter. I'm not saying that neither needs to be disciplined, but the step-father crossed the line. Why didn't he beat the tar out of the girl? They were BOTH naked, and BOTH in the shower. The story does not indicate that he entered the house without permission. You know good and well that he can't lay in wait and attack someone who is not threatening him. Had the story said he confronted the young man, and the young man bucked up, then it is a different story. The story does not indicate that he felt threatened.

myfather15
myfather15 03/27/14 - 03:31 pm
burninator

Going into someone else's home, uninvited by the OWNER, is a little more than simple disrespect!!

Like I said, attitudes like this are the reason we have 200 teenagers in Louisville running the streets and causing chaos!! Attitudes like this are the reason we have the "knock out game". It's pathetic!!!

Election Updates

ATLANTA -- Tuesday's Georgia superintendent primary runoff elections are likely to see small turnout and predictable results, said University of Georgia professor and author Charles Bullock.