Sharpshooters may thin Ga. deer herd

Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:06 AM
Last updated 9:30 PM

JEKYLL ISLAND, Ga. — A coastal Georgia conservation and development authority is considering bringing in sharpshooters to address an overpopulation of white tailed deer.

Conservation director of the Jekyll Island Authority Ben Carswell tells the Brunswick News he’s creating a control plan that could include hiring sharpshooters to cull the island’s deer herd.

A committee studying the overpopulation is waiting to hear results of a feasibility study from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

Carswell says he’s expecting to hear back from federal officials by the end of the month. The committee studying the issue has also discussed controlled hunting, controlling reproduction and reintroducing natural predators — like bobcats — to thin out the herd.

scooter2762
scooter2762 03/20/14 - 07:38 am
I think the headline needs to

I think the headline needs to be corrected.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/20/14 - 08:14 am
S-2762 - ditto & additonal comments

If they really want to thin out the herd and save some $$$$?
Then have a Lottery sell tickets, set up shooting stands and allow GA sportsmen to take aim.

But why kill the deer, just to kill it and waste the meat?
That's like Trophy Rack Hunting, where the hunter shoots the best looking rack, cuts the head off and dumps the body.....which I am strongly against.

If the animals must be culled, then let it feed a family for a few months.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/20/14 - 08:39 am
The high density increases

The high density increases the risk of disease and it reduces the genetic fitness from inbreeding.

myfather15
myfather15 03/20/14 - 09:34 am
Hey, Hey!! I'm a

Hey, Hey!! I'm a sharpshooter!! I qualified "Master" in the Marines and have shot perfect scores numerous times in LE qualifications!! I'll volunteer!! That's meat in the freezer!!

myfather15
myfather15 03/20/14 - 09:40 am
nocnoc

I'm with you on that!! No animal should be harvested without using the meat. The meat can be donated to feed hungry families. I'm not as familiar with game laws, but I believe Rangers can charge someone for not retrieving their game and harvesting the meat; as they should. But it would probably be hard to prove, if not caught in the act; which would also be very hard to do!! They would have to be there right when a person shoots the deer.

I'm a hunter, but it's a disgusting thought that someone would shoot any animal for nothing but sport; not harvesting the meat. The meat is nutritious and many people would LOVE to have the meat in their freezer!!

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/20/14 - 11:33 am
Did I miss something?

I don't think the article mentioned the disposal of the meat. Giving the meat to some entity would seem like the only choice.

Is hunting allowed on Jekyll Island during normal seasons? Don't know, might be too populated but bow hunting would not be so dangerous. Also, I like the idea of the Bobcat. Have watched them from a deer stand and they are the epitome of stealth. You see them but you don't ever hear them.

Paine president resigns

George C. Bradley resigned as president of the embattled Paine College on Tuesday as the institution continues efforts to maintain its accreditation after several years of financial mismanagement ...