SC pupil left on bus 6 hours

Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:12 AM
Last updated 9:31 PM

PELION, S.C. — Lexington County officials are investigating after it appears an elementary school student was left on a school bus for six hours.

Lexington District One spokeswoman Mary Beth Hill says the child was found on the bus around 1:30 p.m. Monday at Pelion High School.

Hill says it appears the student was left on the bus after the morning route was completed around 7:30 a.m. The bus driver and an aide have been suspended while the incident is reviewed.

The child was found when the driver returned to prepare for the afternoon route.

The child was taken to the elementary school and was checked by the school nurse. The child’s mother was called and she met with officials and picked up the child.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/20/14 - 06:22 am
One sweep through bus

I thought the driver did this each & every time the bus was parked..

Pops
Pops 03/20/14 - 06:58 am
I don't understand

doesn't this kid know what to do when the bus gets to the school in the morning? I mean, the school year is almost over for heavens sake. Could the kid have been hiding in the floor under a seat to possibly avoid going to class on that day?

myfather15
myfather15 03/20/14 - 07:00 am
They are supposed too; that's

They are supposed too; that's probably why they're suspended.

myfather15
myfather15 03/20/14 - 07:02 am
Pops

Possibly asleep when they unloaded, but just a guess. I know when I was young, I used to snooze on the bus!! I also slept fairly hard, so I didn't wake up so easy.

my.voice
my.voice 03/20/14 - 07:22 am
I bet mama aint happy.

I bet mama aint happy.

Pops
Pops 03/20/14 - 07:57 am
I still think the kid

is responsible. He was not trapped on that bus. Could have gotten off anytime he wanted to. I contend he hid to avoid going to class for some reason.
The worst part of this is that the mother will probably sue the school system and get a settlement.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/20/14 - 08:11 am
Dread

I'm with Pops. He could have been afraid of taking a big exam that day. Or perhaps some bullies promised to beat him up if he showed up. But mama will keep the details hidden while she rails against the school system to get her 15 minutes of fame.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 03/20/14 - 08:13 am
Just Get to the Bottom of This

Hopefully cooler heads will prevail. I can believe all of these possible scenarios. If mom does try to "get something for nothing", then we will immediately know what kind of person mom is. If we are lucky, what plays out, will be reported.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/20/14 - 08:31 am
Pops and Little Lamb, where

Pops and Little Lamb, where does it say that the child is a boy? The article does not mention the age, as well. The age is important. Depending on the age, the child bears some responsibility.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/20/14 - 09:05 am
For whatever reason, it is

For whatever reason, it is the responsibility of the driver to check each seat, pick up any trash and secure every window before leaving the bus (or at least it was when I drove....but then that was 37 years ago when they had student drivers).

Is it possible this child was a special needs child because I don't know too many children who would stay on a school bus for 6 hours without wandering around looking for someone (unless it was the intent to ditch class)

v4vendetta
v4vendetta 03/20/14 - 09:06 am
Back in the day

C'mon really... Back in the day would such a story have ever made the news? The fact that this has made the paper, of course now there'll be legal action....couldn't the kid figure out to get off the bus? I would have used the emergency exit if need be for fear the stigma of being forever rememberred as the kid who was left on the bus, and couldn't get out....I remember when I was a kid, boy got off the bus, (prior to the bus stop signals) got hit by a car, crossing the street, picked himself up... Shook it off... Waved off the cars, said I'm alright (it was quite a remarkable thing to see and was just glad nothing horrific happened as I watched this unfold)... And that was that, end of story, except for a few bruises and soreness... That's 'old school.'

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/20/14 - 10:16 am
Elementary age might have not know how to open the door and

get off/out of the bus. Wonder if the door was locked? I remember awhile ago it was common to see the buses parked with the doors standing open. Don't know what the parked bus door position is.

corgimom
corgimom 03/20/14 - 11:24 am
GAD, it's an elementary

GAD, it's an elementary school child.

And that's old enough to put the window down and holler- if they wanted to be found.

corgimom
corgimom 03/20/14 - 11:25 am
And that must be a very

And that must be a very strange elementary school in Pelion that doesn't call when a student is absent- that's what they do now- just because of things like this

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/20/14 - 01:22 pm
Another case being reported

Another case being reported in Wilkes Co, GA. A 5 year old left on the school bus but different in that the child got off the bus and wandered around crying and screaming. Someone found him and he was taken to the school before the first bell rang at 8:15am. His mother stated she would not have know about the incident unless her son had not have told her about it.

Eivdently the child did not get off at the school, the driver parked the bus and went inside to hand in paperwork before doing a walk through on the bus and the child got off the bus and was walking around when the driver came back to inspect the bus. Issue is the department of transportation did not contact the mother or the school.

Two situations that could have turned out so much worse than they did.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 03/20/14 - 02:55 pm
I've never had the school

I've never had the school call when one of my children were absent. I'd expect they'd call if there is a history of significant absences, yes, but here and there? Not that I've experienced. Maybe some counties do.

I'd think ultimately the bus driver would be responsible regardless if the kid was ditching school, fell asleep, etc. They are responsible for securing the bus, and that usually entails a walk through. It'll be interesting to hear the rest of the story...

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/20/14 - 03:57 pm
Did I hear the kid was only 5?

It would have to be a pretty self-motivated and confident kindergartener to climb down off a bus in a strange place and go looking for someone on his/her own, assuming, of course, that s/he could even get the door open in the first place.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/20/14 - 04:30 pm
Fiat, the child in Wilkes

Fiat, the child in Wilkes County was 5, I'm not sure how old the elementary student in Pelion, that was on the bus for 6 hours, was.

corgimom
corgimom 03/20/14 - 07:11 pm
RHSC, most schools do now.

RHSC, most schools do now.

Either the office or the teacher calls.

NAHS did, when my son went there, and he had nearly perfect attendance.

Many schools now have automated systems, that when the absence gets entered into the computer, it automatically generates the call.

Too many older kids go to school, get dropped off or get off the bus, and go right out the back door.

And when it comes to little ones, if it can go wrong, it will go wrong. Most schools do for safety reasons. My granddaughters' school in CA does.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 03/21/14 - 08:32 am
@Corgi

I definitely think it's a good thing if they call - it helps reinforce the attendance policy and can nip "skippers" in the bud. Of course, that's assuming the parents give a rip.

My youngest is a senior this year, and has been out 5 days due to illness - not a call yet. I will say that parents that avail themselves to iParent (where it's available) they can see if their child is a "skipper". ;)