Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Georgia deputy kills man at 911 call

Monday, March 17, 2014 7:25 AM
Last updated 6:34 PM

CUMMING, Ga. — Authorities say a sheriff’s deputy in north Georgia shot and killed a man while responding to a 911 call.

WSB-TV reports few details were immediately available about the shooting early today in Forsyth County, about 40 miles northeast of Atlanta.

The Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office said the shooting occurred at about midnight and involved a deputy who had been dispatched to a home by 911 operators.

Authorities did not immediately say why a deputy was sent to the home or what circumstances led to shots being fired.

Authorities say the man killed was in his 50s. His name was not immediately released.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is looking into the case, which is typical in shootings involving law-enforcement officers.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/17/14 - 07:45 am
AJC "Forsyth sheriff’s

AJC
"Forsyth sheriff’s spokesman Doug Rainwater said deputies just after midnight responded to a routine 911 call from a home in the 7900 block of Nicholson Road in northwest Forsyth County.

A man at the residence threatened deputies with a firearm and was shot,” Rainwater said in an e-mail. “He died at the scene.”
...
---------------------------------
This is the way it is should be, if it is as reported.

I for 1, am tired of LEO's getting shot trying to reason with ARMED Hostile people that take clearly aggressive steps to harm others with a firearm.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/17/14 - 08:29 am
This happened just a few days

This happened just a few days ago in Oklahoma. Police beat a man to death in front of his wife and daughter. They punched him until he was dead. The police are supposed to protect us but who protects us from the police? This video will make you sad and angry at the same time.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/17/14 - 10:03 am
GAD

I agree with you more often than not about LE excesses; but not sure I get enough info from this video to be critical. If the man became combative as they claim, then subduing him is necessary. My guess is that he had a heart attack with the exertion.

myfather15
myfather15 03/17/14 - 10:34 am
Itsanotherday

Fruitless, to attempt to explain with rational logic, to those who possess none!!

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/17/14 - 10:53 am
Time will tell if there is

Time will tell if there is something to the story. But you need to read the articles and not just look at the video. But there are some good cops out there. I wish more of them were like this guy:

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/17/14 - 11:48 am
Shoot now and ask questions later and go home at the end of the

shift! Good job nocnoc! Too many officers are killed or injured trying to be 'politically correct.' I really felt sorry for the York County, SC deputy who accidentally shot the elderly gentleman who pulled out what looked like a long gun and it was his cane. Could have gone either way and the deputy was terribly emotionally distraught at what had happened.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 03/17/14 - 12:04 pm
No Problem With This

As I have said before, anyone who draws down on a member of Law Enforcement deserves an eternal dirt nap - crazy or not - there is not enough time to psychoanalyze. The GBI will do their thing, and the Deputy got to go home to his family. Good reporting job 'nocnoc'... : - )

corgimom
corgimom 03/17/14 - 06:35 pm
Every police officer deserves

Every police officer deserves to go home at the end of their shift safe and sound. And every police officer is entitled to defend themselves if they think their lives are threatened.

And when somebody has a gun, and won't drop it, any reasonable person would think that the gunman is going to shoot them, otherwise they'd drop the gun.

willie Lee
willie Lee 03/17/14 - 08:41 pm
Distraught??

The elderly man pulled his cane and was shot dead, the Edgefield County man of two weeks ago never went over 70 MPH and was killed by a 24 year old rookie whose own partner exclaimed, "why did you shoot", the OK. man was killed by five goons because of a family dispute, a young man was shot in Richmond County because of loud music...and other cops will investigate and say, "no problem".....some people still say we have no issues with our law enforcement of today and some will defend them regardless of their actions. Wait till it comes home to roost and see if your story stays the same.

rational thought trumps emotion
rational thought trumps emotion 03/17/14 - 08:49 pm

The police went home safely, as it should be. As for GAD, useless trying to explain anything to those who could care less about reality. Thank goodness there are far more Good Cops than bad ones (like 95% to 5% or less).

Don't want to be tazed, follow the lawful instructions of the officer.

Don't want to be shot, show your hands when told to do so, don't display any weapon of any kind when confronted by the police.

Court is for your discussion, argument, etc. not on the streets where a mere second and the officer is dead. Police watch videos often of how their fellow officers are killed and they are trained to shoot to stop the threat, period.

Monday morning quarterbacks are generally clueless and most of their opinions are worthless but this is America and we are all entitled to our opinion; thanks to our military and our police for helping to keep it that way.

rebellious
20656
rebellious 03/18/14 - 12:25 am
GAD

There are none so blind as those who will not see....

I have never had a police officer come to my house on a domestic 911 call, which i suspect will be ferreted out this was. i am in my 50's. I have never even had reason to be fearful of Law Enforcement. But I never jogged in a neighborhood with a hoody, nor challenged a neighborhood watchman.

Heck, I have been pulled over on a traffic stop, opened the door and pointed to my weapon in the door panel, and told to get back in the car!

Weapon still within reach. I was more nervous than the Officer, I think, cause I didn't want an accident to happen.

So, there has to be more to be reported here.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/18/14 - 12:02 am
I'll continue to follow the

I'll continue to follow the Oklahoma story and see how it plays out. The police is refusing to release the second video to the family's lawyer. I guess they need time to edit it. I know it's silly to think that the police would tamper with evidence or lie in a report. In the meantime take a look at TODAY's news from Atlanta. This is Clayton county's cop of the year. Remember augusta's cop of the year? COY is like making the cover of sports illustrated. It is a career buster.

Darby
Darby 03/18/14 - 12:20 am
" i live for his/her postings."

I agree, NocNoc does good work and I enjoy his postings also. On the other hand, if I "lived" for them, I'd begin to question my reasoning.

Just sayin'.

rebellious
20656
rebellious 03/18/14 - 12:32 am
Noc Noc

Is a great American. Heck I needed some ammo, called, and it was given to me by the Nocster. Same offered up a superb weapon for the loaning, if I needed it. Helped me dispatch a varmint, remains never to be found. Nuff said about that. Just don't doubt the Nockster. Real Deal, kinda like Colonel Oliver North, knows the drill. And that's one body that will never be found. So heed the advice from Noc Noc, cause I have been in the belly of the beast. Just saying. Aint no salt and sawdust, pure sugar and shonuff there.

rebellious
20656
rebellious 03/18/14 - 12:36 am
Also

never take Dichotomy or Cobalt or Seenit lightly. No paper tigers there. Just saying. None are underwear clad kids behind a keyboard. Again, just saying.

Call me "The Witness"

rebellious
20656
rebellious 03/18/14 - 12:39 am
Varmint

was a Beaver, by the way! But he never knew what hit him.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/18/14 - 07:32 am
Thanks everyone

for the kind words.

Since we have been in a pre-deployment mode for weeks, we have finally vaulted, at various North Ga. Family locations the hard to replace stuff.

We currently have on hand what we call a 3-5 day Zombie Attack supply.☺

BTW:
RIP - Mr. Beaver

Darby
Darby 03/18/14 - 05:07 pm
"Helped me dispatch a varmint, remains

never to be found."

So, Rebellious, you pulled a James Hoffa on your pesky beaver did you?

I've a similar problem. I have a humongous possum that invades my back yard on a regular basis. I have all sorts of weapons that could be used to dispatch him (He raids the food I leave out for our adopted outside "rescue" cats.), but fear the possibility of a ricochet with most of them.

The only weapon I have that I'd feel safe using is a 22 cal single shot. I've been looking for some 22 shorts (Thinking that at thirty or forty feet, the round might not even exit the varmints skull.) but right now, can't find any at Wal-Mart or any other place I've looked. Might just have to use the long rifle of which I have an abundance.

At this point, the possum hasn't attacked the cats, it's still a threat. I thought about a trap, but suspect that all I'd catch would be one of the cats. Any advice from the gallery?