Ga. man killed during target practice

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:54 AM
Last updated 6:41 PM

BRUNSWICK, Ga. -- A Glynn County man was killed Monday as he and a friend were target shooting north of Brunswick, police said.

Gary Drury, 65, of Brunswick, told police he and his friend William Joseph Crooms went to 44 Camp Road to target practice, Glynn County Police Capt. Marissa Tindale said in a release.

Drury said he began to shoot his Remington 270 rifle at a target on the property and was unaware that Crooms had walked into woods behind the target, Tindale said.

Unable to locate Crooms later, Drury said he began to search the property and found him in the woods some distance behind the target, Tindale said.

Glynn County police responded to the scene about 6 p.m., and the 66-year-old Crooms was pronounced dead at the scene at 7:09 p.m. of a single gunshot wound.

His body has been sent to a Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab in Savannah for an autopsy.

No charges have been filed.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/12/14 - 09:19 am
Berm

Putting the target in front of an earthen berm would be more responsible than merely putting a paper target up in front of some woods.

It would be interesting to know who owns the property where the death took place.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/12/14 - 09:37 am
What are the odds?

Something does not ring right here.

What are the odds of
A single bullet missing a target, threading its way through a wooded area, the victim just happening to be in the wrong place and the right time, with the victim knowing that gun fire was occurring in front of him. Then add to it the shooter accomplishing a 1 shot 1 kill scenario given the above.

I might could buy the alibi that he was shooting iron sights and mistook the victim as a deer and decided to shot it out of season.

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/12/14 - 11:01 am
This NEVER has to happen!

Elementary gun safety!! I was taught this by my daddy, and the NRA when I took its target shooting classes, and again in the Army. In a situation like this you stay together.

csrareader
csrareader 03/12/14 - 11:12 am
Basic firearms safety. This

Basic firearms safety. This should never have happened.

1. Treat every firearm as if it is loaded, always.
2. Never point a firearm at anything you're not willing to destroy.
2. Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until your sights are on target.
4. Be sure of your target and aware of what's behind your target, always.

Simply following number 4 would have prevented another senseless tragedy.

Basic

jimmymac
jimmymac 03/12/14 - 12:38 pm
FISHY

Something is fishy. What kind of idiot would walk in the woods when someone else is firing a high powered rifle. Cops need to dig deeper because this just doesn't make sense.

my.voice
my.voice 03/12/14 - 12:48 pm
This one doesnt sound right.

This one doesnt sound right.

myfather15
myfather15 03/12/14 - 01:42 pm
I'm with nocnoc and my.voice

Something doesn't sound right about this!! Or this shooter is one of the biggest idiots I've ever heard of!!

When you go with someone "target practicing" which I've done thousands of times, you never just blindly walk through the woods AND you know where your friends are at BEFORE you start shooting rounds!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/12/14 - 02:02 pm
"AND you know where your

"AND you know where your friends are at BEFORE you start shooting rounds!!"

This says it all!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/12/14 - 04:08 pm
I agree with the suspicious.

I agree with the suspicious. I cannot believe anyone with an I.Q. above room temp would fire a round without knowing where his partner was.

KSL
KSL 03/13/14 - 04:18 am
That would not be happening

That would not be happening at 2 very nice places for target practice I go to.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.