Ga cyclists urged to dress brightly

Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2014 8:04 AM
Last updated 6:27 PM

ATLANTA — The Governor’s Office of Highway Safety is urging cyclists and pedestrians to wear reflective gear.

GOHS officials say there were more than 130 pedestrian fatalities in 2012 and the number accounted for about 11 percent of all traffic deaths that year. Authorities say a majority of cyclist and pedestrian fatalities on a national level happen at night. Officials say about 32 percent happen between 8 p.m. and midnight, and 24 percent happen between midnight and 4 a.m.

GOHS Director Harris Blackwood says winter is the darkest time of year and cyclists and pedestrians should wear reflective clothing to make sure they’re visible to drivers.

Officials say Georgia drivers should also remember that a relatively new law requires them to leave at least three feet of space when passing a cyclist.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/22/14 - 09:37 am
Yardstick

I guess I need to mount a yardstick on the right side of my car so I make sure I leave enough space.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/22/14 - 09:39 am
We need similar laws for those who walk in the road. Why not?

We need similar laws for those who walk in the road. Why not?

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/22/14 - 09:40 am
Joggers have rights as well. Jogger lanes on Washington Rd.

Joggers have rights as well. Jogger lanes on Washington Rd.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/22/14 - 09:41 am
Coal fired eco friendly golf carts on the highways & roads.

Coal fired eco friendly golf carts on the highways & roads.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/22/14 - 09:41 am
Why not go carts, jazzie chairs and roller skates. Democracy!!!!

Why not go carts, jazzie chairs and roller skates. Democracy!!!!

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/22/14 - 09:43 am
Sunshine and holiday brought out the juvenile golf cart drivers

Sunshine and holiday brought out the juvenile golf cart drivers

MTBer
MTBer 01/22/14 - 09:43 am
No yard stick required

Just common sense and courtesy.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/22/14 - 09:44 am
Of course their parents are juvenile as well. The nut falling..

Of course their parents are juvenile as well. The nut falling..

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 01/22/14 - 09:50 am
Cyclist

How about you have headlights, taillights and turn signals to start with. Then you need to have liability insurance, registration, tags and property taxes paid up. Now, keep up with the posted speed limits, don’t pass on the right at a stop light, don’t give the finger when warned of approaching traffic and don’t think the rest of traffic can see you and knows what you are about to do. Can’t do that? Then get off the road.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/22/14 - 11:18 am
"How about you have

"How about you have headlights, taillights and turn signals to start with."

What, and ruin the aerodynamics of their $1500 bicycle with all of that stuff hanging off of it? That would completely negate the airflow advantage they gain with those black spandex shorts and teardrop helmets.

And yes, I agree that common sense, and a tad of courtesy help. But the fact is that motor vehicle drivers do not "see" bicycles and motorcycles. It's a proven fact. Their minds are looking for cars and trucks and they just don't "see" the smaller vehicles. Just ask motorcycle riders how many times a car has pulled out in front of them even though the driver looked right at them before doing so. Yes, I am sure there are road rage incidents....but most 2 wheel vs. 4 or more wheel incidents are accidents and the bike rider is always the loser. The automobile driver is usually at fault and will probably be the one charged but the bike rider is usually the one killed or mangled. Just put that grain of salt on your energy bar before you hit the public highways. You are completely within your rights.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/22/14 - 01:14 pm
Single File

Georgia Law specifies that bike riders ride single file if there is a group. But how many times do you encounter bicyclists riding side by side on the road? In my experience, many times. I'll bet no law enforcement agent in the state has ever enforced that law by issuing a citation for riding two or more abreast.

Cameron Poe
Cameron Poe 01/22/14 - 01:27 pm
The law actually allows for

The law actually allows for riding no more than 2 abreast when on a two lane road. There was a bill being introduced which would have changed this. But the bill was amended.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/22/14 - 04:37 pm
Thanks

Thanks for the info, Cameron.

noxiousfumes
noxiousfumes 01/22/14 - 05:23 pm
As an avid bicyclist

As an avid bicyclist, I do not understand the mindset of car drivers around here. I would love to be able to ride my bike to work everyday, but I would really be taking my life in my own hands. I used to ride along the less busy roads, but some drivers seem to get a thrill by seeing how close they can come without actually hitting you. The biggest issue is that many drivers do not pay attention nor do they follow the rules of the road. Drivers run stop signs, ignore traffic signals, talk and text, refuse to yield the right of way, and that was just my drive to work this morning.

I lived in a large college town for over 10 years and never had an accident and often went bike riding without incident. After moving here, I've had 3 cars totaled through accidents that were not my fault. One ran a stop sign, one pulled out in front of me from a side street without stopping, one ran a traffic light. Although I love bike riding, I have to ride along the canal and the Greenway until I relocate to a safer biking community.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 01/22/14 - 07:35 pm
LittleLamb, you and are me

LittleLamb, you and are me are friends. 3 feet is the law. If a driver cannot give 3 feet you have to stay back and follow. That's the law. People like oldredneckman will always be around. Don't know what do about guys like this. But remember, if you can't give 3 feet and if there is a double yellow on your left, you have to drop back and follow. Sorry to have to explain the law to you, oldredneckman

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 01/22/14 - 07:51 pm
GAD

Do you want to be carried by six or judged by twelve? That is the point. When you are dead, it is over. All the law in the world will not change it, we can only change the law to keep you safe from yourself. We do not mind you killing yourself, it is the damage you do to our cars in the process.

Census: Augusta young adults struggling

A new report shows that young adults in the area today are better educated and on average, earn more money than 30 years ago, but are far more likely to be unemployed, unmarried and living with ...