Athens cop confiscates elderly driver's license

Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014 8:36 AM
Last updated 7:27 PM

ATHENS, Ga. -- An Athens-Clarke County police officer on Monday confiscated the license of an 85-year-old Athens woman after he stopped her for driving erratically on the Athens Perimeter.

The woman caught the officer’s attention because she was driving in the passing lane at about 25 mph, police said.

Her car continued to weave and veer onto the grassy median for several miles even with the officer following with his cruiser’s emergency lights and siren turned on, according to police.

After she finally stopped, the woman told the officer that she was trying to find her doctor’s office on the opposite side of the county, police said.

She asked the officer what time it was and was relieved that it was earlier than she thought because it meant she could still make her appointment, police said.

The officer decided to confiscate the woman’s license because she posed a possible threat to herself and others, police said. He wrote in an incident report that he planned to contact the Department of Driver Services to request that the woman be reevaluated for her ability to safely drive.

The officer contacted the woman’s daughter, who the officer said seemed appreciative of his actions.

Comments (15)

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/08/14 - 10:11 am

this deputy needs to come over to Bobby Jones for a feast......

this deputy needs to come over to Bobby Jones for a feast......

David Parker
David Parker 01/08/14 - 10:23 am

Little lady wanted to get to

Little lady wanted to get to her Dr appointment. If you live long enough, it'll happen to you. SOunds like the officer did the right thing and prevented potential danger. WORD

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/08/14 - 10:40 am

Having recently gone through this same issue

with a father-in-Law and 4 accidents in 14 month. I agree extra attention and care needs to be applied at BOTH ends of the Driver Age Spectrum.

But getting the keys from an Aging parent, that strongly feels
a Car and Driver License is Freedom, is not easy,.
In fact it is out right mental fight with the parent hiding keys and wallets was ZERO Help. They always seem to find a spare set of keys and sooner or later we had to produce ("find") the wallet for doctor visits and it starts all over.

The GA DMV can't, despite requests from the children and a VA Doctor statement, ask a person to come in for a retest.

There needs to be a process for doctors & adult children to protect their parents and others.

DMV also needs to quit issuing 8 years licenses to anyone
older than age 62.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/08/14 - 11:03 am

Comprehensive re-test is the

Comprehensive re-test is the answer. If we can test pilots with simulators to operate a 777, surely we can do the same with drivers. Have training available at their expense, but re-test as much as they like until they pass.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 01/08/14 - 11:52 am

Contract to drive

When you get on a public highway in the US you are entering a contract to do so. That contract states certain conditions you and the government agree to. You do not have a “right” to use the highway, you have a contract. Some States have gotten lazy in upholding their part of the bargain, especially in verifying the ability of people to operate on public roads. Parallel parking once when you first start to drive and then an eye exam once every eight to ten years is no where near what we need. You can not just test based on age, so we all have to be tested. We all need to have a more realistic test, maybe in simulators, at least once every two years, with you and your car being inspected and tested.

whocarestoday
whocarestoday 01/08/14 - 01:54 pm

Dementia

She probably suffers from dementia. These types of incidents are going to become more and more common in the coming years. Glad that no one was hurt and pray that this incident leads her family to make sure she is safe in the future.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/14 - 03:24 pm

Geezer Vote

The geezer vote won't allow extra difficult testing. Physical impairment such as eyes going bad, seizure disorders and other things can happen at any age although as you age it's more likely. But many drivers in their 60s and 70s drive perfectly well.

Graymare
1974
Graymare 01/08/14 - 05:59 pm

Nocnoc, when you turn 62 will

Nocnoc, when you turn 62 will you be turning your license in to the DMV? Turn it in at 62? Will you be driving all of us senior citizens to work everyday or will you be putting food on our tables and paying our bills? I am 62 and my husband is 65 with perfect driving records. I'm sure when it is time we will stay off the road. Heck, let's just take away one more thing from citizens. Let's take the licenses away at 50 or 55. That's old, isn't it?
Sounds like the poor 85 year old lady has some medical issues.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 01/08/14 - 07:00 pm

By the headline of this

By the headline of this article I thought that the driver's license itself was old. But then again, how can an inantimate object be elderly?

SJL1204
SJL1204 01/08/14 - 07:43 pm

Getting lost

Getting lost while driving is usually the first sign that a family member has Alzheimer's . The sufferers are very good about about hiding other issues. I agree with NocNoc, it is nearly impossible to have a license revoked.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/08/14 - 08:37 pm

My mother is 82 and drives

My mother is 82 and drives just fine. I would have no issue with her being tested every 4 years, as well as every other driver, including myself. It would be worth an extra cost and aggravation to ensure we had competent drivers of all ages behind the wheel.

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 01/08/14 - 10:08 pm

I'm surprised the States have

I'm surprised the States have not come up with retesting to generate money. They have just about come up with every way. Now look for that in a year or so because someone gave them the idea. I guess they're too busy finding ways to raise our taxes.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/08/14 - 11:51 pm

I'm not sure that more

I'm not sure that more frequent testing is the answer. It might catch some vision problems, but most of these types of incidents are dementia or medical problems and can have a very short time frame onset. One day dad is okay and passes his driver's test and next week he is going to the mailbox with no pants on. But there does need to be some kind of system/process for family members to intervene and get driving privileges revoked.

KSL
KSL 01/09/14 - 02:19 am

My mother is 90 years old and

My mother is 90 years old and still drives in the daytime. But then she has always been a remarkable person. She is not on any type of medication. She did have to have her gall bladder removed when she was in her 80's.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/09/14 - 08:28 am

Good one GAD.....yesterday I

Good one GAD.....yesterday I shot an elephant wearing my pajamas. Got to love the misplaced modifier.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 01/09/14 - 08:55 am

Grateful to the officer

One day at the grocery store, I saw an elderly man looking panicked, I asked him if he was alright and he said he didn't know where he was. He gave me his wallet and the family had put all his contact info in it - and I called his daughter and she came for him. That is when you call it quits - must be very frightening to be alone and lost.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/09/14 - 09:39 am

hahah IAD

I know your mother & let us just say....it would take 3 of you to take her license away....hahahah..

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/09/14 - 10:14 am

I stand by my earlier comment

I am 58 and I stand by the statement of more frequent testing at older ages.

I agree driving is certainly important to us older individuals, but lets face it there is a legitimate concern, as older drivers we pose a significant injury risk to ourselves and to other drivers.

We all know what old age does to the body, so I won't bore or sadden anyone with the reality of being old. The Insurance Company know it also.

So I feel 3 Year Licenses and ability testing should be the norm after 62 or 65.A process for ADULT children, police and doctors request the person (for cause) be retested no more than twice in a given license period.

There are 2 problems that I see everyday heading out to the stores.
People yapping on Cellphones and as a result inattentive to their driving and Gray Wolves doing 25 to 30 in the fast lanes on Highways.

Some Facts
Recent studies (2007 & 2009) find that overall, drivers 60+ are 16% more likely than other adult drivers to cause an accident.

In a 2009 report, Fatal crashes involving 60+ <75 driver were 14% higher than the rest of the driving population. After 75 the numbers sky rockets.

If you are pedestrian at a intersection, you are more likely to be hit and/or killed by a 60+ Senior citizen driver.

2025 Census & AARP estimates of drivers 65+ vary. But the numbers range from 19% to 25% of the driving population, up from 15% in 2001. This number will only increase the number of accidents caused by Older Drivers.

The study also found that older drivers that drive less, drive slower than other drivers still have more accidents.

Something to Think about
After age 59 the likelihood that any older Driver will die in accident exceeds the injury/survivability rate. By 75+ it is
400%+.

60+ Older drivers are more likely to be involved in a accident:
in Spring/Summer months,
on a week day,
between 2 to 3pm,
and on a road posted 45 or > mph.

So Plan Accordingly....

Regents approve tuition hikes

DAHLONEGA, Ga. - Tuition is going up for Georgia students at all 31 state colleges and universities under a budget plan approved Tuesday by the state Board of Regents, including the largest ...