Naked baby found wandering downtown Athens

Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014 5:03 PM
Last updated 7:07 PM

ATHENS, Ga. -- A 1-year-old boy was found walking naked on a road in west Athens after a baby-sitter abandoned him and his infant twin sisters on New Year’s Eve, according to an Athens-Clarke County police incident report released Thursday.

The incident is under investigation by a detective assigned to the Family Protection Center.

Lt. Mark Magnuson, commanding officer of FPC detectives, said the investigator was not working Thursday afternoon, but her most recent supplemental report did not indicate that the baby-sitter had been located or interviewed.

The baby-sitter faces charges of cruelty to children and reckless abandonment, he said.

The incident came to light at about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday when a woman walking her dog on Baxter Drive saw the naked child walking in the road.

After calling 911, the woman notified neighbors who provided blankets and a diaper for the child, police said.

When officers arrived they went door-to-door at University Garden Apartments trying to find the boy’s home until they came upon an open door, said Sgt. Jay Ragsdale.

Officers quickly determined they had found the right home because unattended 6-month-old twin girls were inside, Ragsdale said.

“It was pretty shocking,” the officer said.

Officers searched the apartment and found documents that identified a woman as the leaseholder. Dispatchers at the 911/Communication Center were able to find possible phone numbers for the woman, according to Ragsdale.

When police called the woman they confirmed that she was the children’s mother. She was working at her job while the baby-sitter was supposed to be watching her children, police said.

Ragsdale said he did not know how long the children had been left unattended, but it was long enough for the infant twins to have soiled their diapers. Police officers cleaned the children and gave them fresh diapers.

According to the police incident report, the mother told officers she made several calls that night to the baby-sitter that went unanswered and the baby-sitter did not respond to text messages.

An officer picked up the mother at her job and drove her to be reunited with her children at Athens Regional Medical Center, where they were checked out by medical staff.

“They were brought to the hospital just to make sure they were OK, and they were,” Magnuson said.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/02/14 - 05:13 pm
That babysitter deserves jail

That babysitter deserves jail time if she doesn't have an EXCELLENT excuse, and I can't think of one beyond her being kidnapped!
Good grief! This story definitely needs a follow-up!

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 01/02/14 - 05:36 pm
Unanswered Calls

I am tryiing not to be critical but if I had a 1 year old and twin 6 month old babies and I made several calls that the sitter did not answer and she did not respond to text messages I would be headed home. Also it is impossible to have 6 month old babies and a 12 month old. It is my predictiion this story is going to have several interesting twist to it. Glad the children are safe. How do they know babysitter was not abducted or forced to leave the home?

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/02/14 - 05:55 pm
Guess who won't be applying for a job at kindercare

This person if guilty, needs to spend some serious time in jail.

But given the fact they can't locate her has me wondering about a lot info concerning this case.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/02/14 - 05:56 pm
IBeDogGone, the article said

IBeDogGone, the article said 1 year old, not 12 month old.

1 year old can be from 12 months old to 23 months old, which could result in one child being 1 year old and having siblings 6 months old.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/02/14 - 06:52 pm
The "babysitter"

should be tried for negligent homicide. Upon her incarceration, she should be forced to wear a placard stating that she abandoned three helpless children, a one year old and twin 6 month old babies. Those women behind bars aren't the best of people but I'm certain they would "handle" this piece of trash with kid gloves.

KSL
KSL 01/03/14 - 11:02 am
A one year old is one year

A one year old is one year old. A one year old plus 6 months is not a one year old. Huge differences take place in learning.

And dear friend autumn, I would never call a one year old plus 11 months a 1 year old.

Dixieman
Dixieman 01/02/14 - 08:32 pm
ICL is correct

about the age thing. You are one year old from the day you turn one until the day before your second birthday.
What an appalling story!

corgimom
corgimom 01/02/14 - 09:23 pm
A baby that is 1 year and 11

A baby that is 1 year and 11 months old is one year old.

allhans
allhans 01/03/14 - 02:36 am
Three babies under the age of

Three babies under the age of 2 would be a lot for any person to handle. I hope the mother has some family support.

copdad
copdad 01/03/14 - 04:35 am
naked child found alone in Athens

I know I am old fashioned but where was the father?

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/03/14 - 07:42 am
Actually a child is 1 year

Actually a child is 1 year old if he/she is 12 months to 23 months old.

KSL, what would you call a child 18 months old? She/he is not yet 2 years old. A child 23 months old may be in our minds a 2 year old but technically they are still 1 year old. If a teenager is 16 year 11 months they are still 16 and legally still considered a juvenile.

cp
cp 01/03/14 - 09:04 am
Babysitter?

I wonder if anyone has considered the possibility that there was no babysitter. Maybe this is going to be a case of Mother decided work was more important that taking care of the children.

copdad
copdad 01/03/14 - 09:20 am
Naked child found on street in Athens

The last post might be on to something!

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 01/03/14 - 09:23 am
@cp

anything's possible, but that could be verified by her outgoing calls / texts. What's curious is no mention of the officers trying to locate the babysitter...surely the mother had the name / contact info. I guess we'll just have to wait for more info.

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 01/03/14 - 10:28 am
SORRY I STARTED THE AGE ISSUE

Yes, I agree a child can be 23 months and be 1 year old. My point is there are too many unanswered questions. This smells as if there could be a rat somewhere in the mix.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/03/14 - 11:25 am
1. Typically, babies are aged

1. Typically, babies are aged by months, not years.

2. The door was open. If this child was closer to 1 than 2, could he/she have opened the door? My gut says the door was left open, which suggests there really is more to this story.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 01/03/14 - 12:57 pm
a 1 yr old and 2 6 month

a 1 yr old and 2 6 month olds?!?!?!?!? and no mention of the "baby's daddies" him well just 3 more poor children of the 70% born to single parent households...on the right path to poverty, jail, and for the poor little twin girls single pregnency because children imitate what they see and what they see is an irresponsible mammy who cant say no to the boys

KSL
KSL 01/03/14 - 02:06 pm
You people get hung up on the

You people get hung up on the wrong thing. At one neither of my boys would walk. At 14 months they started walking up a storm. Late walking is extra good for development, and it worked out so for my 2. Which I wanted to be 4, but since we were paying for food, shelter, clothing, health care, transportation, and private education, as well as taxes for defense and the freeloaders, there was not much money left. I did manage to put a little aside, as people are told to do. Well, some
people.

Note, I did not mention vacations, did I? We travel to see family or work related. South America, Europe, will be going to New Zealand, and perhaps to Australia for a wedding.

KSL
KSL 01/03/14 - 02:18 pm
We measured our children by

We measured our children by maturity, not age. But that really isn't the point is it, never mind that at that age, there is a huge difference in a 1 year, 1 day old and a 1 year, 11 month and 29 day old. More so than a 13 year old and a 14 year old. But that isn't the point, is it?

KSL
KSL 01/03/14 - 02:25 pm
Y'all, who attacked me for

Y'all, who attacked me for pointing out the difference between a one year old and an almost 2 year old should be ashamed. I am not the culprit in this incident. The baby sitter is. And y'all get hung up on semantics.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...