Don't shoot off guns tonight, feds warn

Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013 7:56 AM
Last updated 6:32 PM

Federal authorities are reminding Georgians not to ring in the New Year with celebratory gunfire.

ATF says it could also lead to state or federal charges if the person who fires the gun is prohibited from possessing the weapon for any reason.

ATF supports state and local law enforcement agencies investigating suspected random celebratory shooting by carrying out ballistics testing on shell casings recovered from the scene.

ATF urges anyone who sees a person misusing a firearm to contact local police immediately or to call ATF.

David Parker
David Parker 12/31/13 - 08:19 am
see no evil, speak no evil,

see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/31/13 - 08:22 am
we are a third world country. it is acceptable and newsworthy

we see it all the time on cable news. children and adults

corgimom
corgimom 12/31/13 - 08:26 am
"The Atlanta office of the

"The Atlanta office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said in a news release that celebratory gunfire is irresponsible and dangerous."

Ya think? But the dummies that need to see this don't read the newspaper.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/31/13 - 09:20 am
Truth but lottery odds of it happening

Having lived near Ft. Bragg and near East St. Louis
I have seen this new years display a lot. BUT in all the these massive displays of Private owned fire power. The news and papers never listed a wounded injury or death at either location????

All that aside
Read http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2011/03/watch_...

for additional data.

NOTE: A bullet fired at 45 degrees is more likely in a Urban setting to kill someone, than any bullet fired straight up at 90 degrees anywhere.

bdouglas
bdouglas 12/31/13 - 09:15 am
I believe if I'm on my own

I believe if I'm on my own private property I can shoot whenever I please, New Year's Eve or not.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/31/13 - 09:25 am
Bdouglas, I was thinking

Bdouglas, I was thinking that, too. Of course if you can't legally have a weapon, it's illegal. But what's the purpose of the feds saying you can't shoot on New Years Eve if you do it safely on your own property? Not mentioning names, but some of our commenters have parties and it usually includes everybody firing their weapons at targets to see who is the best shot. Shooting guns as a celebration is as old as America.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 12/31/13 - 09:39 am
Shooting guns on private property

It depends on where the property is located. I think they are more concerned about reckless people who fire guns in the air when they are in residential areas and others are around.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-103 Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway or street

A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when, without legal justification, he discharges a gun or pistol on or within 50 yards of a public highway or street.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-134. Discharging firearm while under the influence of alcohol or drugs

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm while:

(1) Under the influence of alcohol or any drug or any combination of alcohol and any drug to the extent that it is unsafe for the person to discharge such firearm except in the defense of life, health, and property;

(2) The person's alcohol concentration is 0.08 grams or more at any time while discharging such firearm or within three hours after such discharge of such firearm from alcohol consumed before such discharge ended; or

(3) Subject to the provisions of subsection (b) of this Code section, there is any amount of marijuana or a controlled substance, as defined in Code Section 16-13-21, present in the person's blood or urine, or both, including the metabolites and derivatives of each or both without regard to whether or not any alcohol is present in the person's breath or blood.

(b) The fact that any person charged with violating this Code section is or has been legally entitled to use a drug shall not constitute a defense against any charge of violating this Code section; provided, however, that such person shall not be in violation of this Code section unless such person is rendered incapable of possessing or discharging a firearm safely as a result of using a drug other than alcohol which such person is legally entitled to use.

(c) Any person convicted of violating subsection (a) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/31/13 - 09:45 am
Fatboyhog, I get all that,

Fatboyhog, I get all that, but here is what bothers me, it's the feds telling people in Georgia what to do. I have enough land (in SC actually) where I can meet all the requirements of distance so I can legally fire. The part about not consuming alcohol and shooting seems reasonable, but if I'm in the middle of my 130 acres firing, I don't expect law enforcement to show up without a warrant. There's no probable cause to investigate people shooting on their own land.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 12/31/13 - 09:58 am
130 acres

If you are in the middle of the forest, I don't think that anyone is going to be calling 911. I don't necessarily have an issue with the Feds issuing what is basically a PSA. They won't be handling the issues that the officers are routinely called to. They want the big dogs. I do think that it's a sad commentary when people have to be reminded that shooting off guns like they are fireworks is dangerous, though.

David Parker
David Parker 12/31/13 - 10:46 am
Even sadder

Feds' unecessary involvement in every angle of an individual's daily routine.

happychimer
19503
happychimer 12/31/13 - 01:32 pm
So people don't want the feds

So people don't want the feds telling Georgia what to do. Huh? I don't get it. What about federal laws? What about the constitution? I certainly want somebody telling us what to do. People have been injured and killed from people firing guns in the air. A neighbor fired in the air and almost hit another neighbor's truck and a person. That could have started a war between neighbors.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/31/13 - 02:21 pm
Happy, what does the

Happy, what does the Constitution say about guns?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/31/13 - 02:45 pm
Let Look At Statistics!

How many are injured from Fireworks compared to being injured from a falling bullet?????????? (The great minds and actions of liberals)

The Burn center has already reported some already firework injuries and it's not even midnight yet.

But I completely agree, that shooting guns in the air, that there sure ain't too swift!!

Sweet son
Sweet son 12/31/13 - 03:27 pm
The whole thing is a hoot by ATF and moreover the fact that

'our' paper chose to print the story! Our world is just getting out of control and it is so sad my friends!

harley_52
harley_52 12/31/13 - 06:15 pm
Most Cities...

...have local ordinances against firing weapons within the city limits. Outside those limits, particularly on your own property, I don't believe there's anything they can do unless you are obviously endangering other folks' lives and they can prove it.

LCC0256
LCC0256 12/31/13 - 07:20 pm
The elephant in the living room is..

because of the continuing erosion of our freedoms granted by GOD and written down brilliantly by our countries founding fathers (and mothers) (and not a politician or bureaucrat)...Federal Police organizations like the "Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms" are armed, are mandated by fiat administrative law and are self righteous in their approach to lording more and more over the citizenry. The fact is we will soon have to take arms up against those same Federal Police Agencies if we are to maintain our freedom as SPELLED CLEARLY OUT in our founding documents...either that or be enslaved to enjoying only those "freedoms" which the federal bureaucracy deems pertinent and germane...never in our history have so large a percentage of our freedoms been eroded so drastically in so short a period of time as have the past 40 years...

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/31/13 - 11:33 pm
Jesus guys..

All they are doing is telling Bubba and Leroy not to get drunk and shoot off their guns in the air lest the warrants that need serving on them may come with the investigating officer.. convicted felons with them are what they are talking about..

willie Lee
willie Lee 12/31/13 - 11:48 pm
Hey Feds!

Stick it in your ear!

crackertroy
crackertroy 01/01/14 - 12:33 am
bullet just came through my roof

Seriously, a bullet just came through my bedroom ceiling. Cops on the way now. Funny I just happen to remember seeing this headline earlier today. DON'T SHOOT YOUR GUNS TO CELEBRATE NEW YEARS

crackertroy
crackertroy 01/01/14 - 12:34 am
Only a few feet from hitting

Only a few feet from hitting me and my wife in bed. Bullet ended up underneath the bed.

nocnoc
nocnoc 01/01/14 - 09:16 am
6+AM and the world did not end due to Fireworks and Guns.

Having failed in its attack to destroy Downtown just over 6 hours ago the South Side welcomed in the New Year in its usual fashion. LOUD, Colorful and somewhat illegal.

Last night, like 1000's of others. I listen to 1000's of rounds of gun fire and explosions, out here on the South Side. For a fleeting second I thought the rebellion to break away from the Northside (Downtowners) had finally started.

All Semi-joking aside.
The South Side must be pretty safety mined people. Because, after inspecting my house, vehicles, dog, and etc around 4am, using my Lowe's purchased Defiant Mega-Beam. I have yet to find 1 indicator of damage, out of those 1000's of rounds ammo fire in my close proximity. So I wish to thank The South Siders for purchasing BLANKS and using their practice ammo for just for last night out of respect for the safety of my family and others.

Listening to the decibel displays of joy,
I could only think that we have another year behind us and we are now only a few months away from taking America back from the Socialists in the next hopefully free and open election.

But, some joking aside,
I was also extremely impressed and proud of the number of obviously resourceful South Siders and their Old School knowledge in Do-It-Yourself Fireworks. Such resourcefulness obviously is being handed down generation to generation.

SOME INTERESTING FACTS & STATISTICAL ESTIMATES
Considering ARC & CC & Aiken Co. as a whole.
We likely discharged over 10+ million fireworks and discharged 5,000 to 10,000+ rounds of Ammo. In the USA as a whole it is estimated over 10+ BILLION fireworks were used yesterday and into this morning. Estimates range from 2 MILLION to 3+ Millions Ammo rounds were fired in the USA over the last 24 hours for NEW YEARS. Note: not counting other uses (crime) which were found to be included in "official" statistics and few years ago, "accidentally". No major southern paper, I had I could find, as of 5:30am listed a New Years related gun fire injury or death.

De-Villainizing Fireworks and Guns
Given between 100 and 150 million US people celebrated last night, we likely did have some accidents. If Statistic hold to be true like in past years, 40% of all fireworks injuries will be UNDERAGE <14 y/o kids. An many of these kids were NOT being properly supervised, if we follow statistical patterns.

Seriously think about it for a second.
What parent gives a 5 year old a 1000 degree flaming/burning rod and say here go play? But, that is what a sparkler is.

Some Honest Comparisons:
According to the CPSC's Injury Surveillance Report, fireworks are responsible for only 9 out of 100,000 emergency room treatments from children aged 5-14.

Compare this with pens/pencils, which cause 35/100K, skateboards, which cause 126/100K, and bicycles, which cause 847/100K! The average child is four times more likely to visit the emergency room from a writing utensil injury than they are from fireworks!

However, to those declining in numbers injured people I extend my bests wishes for a speedy recovery.

Remember,

The 4th or July, is the peoples day of Independence from a tyrannical government, as such how we celebrate it should not be a Government controlled either.

Just be mindful of the kids, the house and Neighborhood.

But no matter how you slice it.
BUBBA Had His Game On Last Night.

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...