Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Boy, 8, in critical condition after being struck near school bus

Monday, Dec. 9, 2013 7:46 AM
Last updated 11:59 PM

An 8-year-old boy is in critical condition after being struck by a minivan that failed to stop for a school bus’s flashing lights, authorities aid.

Back | Next
Traffic backed up on Belair Road after a child was struck while getting on a school bus this morning.  BIANCA CAIN JOHNSON/STAFF
BIANCA CAIN JOHNSON/STAFF

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

The Sue Reynolds Elementary pupil was crossing the westbound lane of the 3800 block of Belair Road about 7:10 a.m. to board bus No. 72 when a 2007 Chrysler Town & Country driven by Scott William Hancock, 20, of Augusta, hit him. Police and witnesses said the bus arms, stop sign and flashing lights were working. Conditions were cloudy.

Deputies closed the two-lane road for more than a hour as they documented the crash and spoke to witnesses.

Another bus was taken to the scene to pick up children who had already boarded bus No. 72.

Hancock has been charged with failure to stop for a school bus while loading or unloading. Further charges are pending, police said.

The victim was taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center.

WHAT THE LAW SAYS

Georgia law requires drivers to stop when meeting or overtaking a stopped school bus that has its red lights flashing and stop arm extended when loading and unloading passengers.

All vehicles traveling in both directions must stop on a two-lane road or a multi-lane road that is paved all the way across without a barrier or median. When a school bus is stopped on a divided highway with a dirt, grass or barrier median, vehicles traveling behind the bus must stop. Drivers traveling in the opposite direction must use caution.

Violation of the law carries a fine of $300 for the first offense, $750 for the second offense and $1,000 for the third and every subsequent offense in a five-year period.

SCHOOL BUS SAFETY

Be alert and watch for children during morning hours when children walk to and wait at school bus stops.

Begin to slow down and look for students when you see a bus with yellow flashing lights.

Never speed up to beat a school bus.

Stop when you see the flashing red lights and stop arm in use.

Remain stopped until all students have loaded the bus or all unloading students have cleared 12 feet of the roadway. Resume driving only after the red lights and stop arm have been deactivated.

Do not pass other vehicles or make U-turns in school zones or at crosswalks.

Source: Georgia Department of Education

Tots
Tots 12/09/13 - 10:44 am
Many prayers being said for

Many prayers being said for this child and all involved..

allhans
allhans 12/09/13 - 01:30 pm
So sorry for the child and

So sorry for the child and all concerned.
When will drivers learn that you always
STOP for school buses.
Tragedies such as this
CAN be avoided.

happychimer
happychimer 12/09/13 - 01:57 pm
That area goes to Sue

That area goes to Sue Reynolds.

getitright84
getitright84 12/09/13 - 02:35 pm
Common Sense

There is not a place in the world that important to be that would warrant anyone to go around a school bus. There are no red lights or stop signs at this area. One could deduce that children were being picked up for school at that hour regardless of being aware of the lights or not. Praying this baby makes it home to his family.

rocklandwriter
rocklandwriter 12/09/13 - 02:49 pm
No Excuse!

When you see a school bus; no excuse to EVER hit a child getting on or off of that bus. A school bus ALWAYS means children; so you expect for one to come running out from some direction. I see no excuse for this person to have hit this child; prayers to his family. There should be numerous charges pressed on the person driving the van; negligence for certain; endangering the life of a child; failure to stop etc... but also; he should have to face this family, face to face, and look at them as he states his pathetic reason for being in such a hurry as to endanger the safety of theirs or any other child. This could have and should have been avoided; God bless this child and family.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/09/13 - 03:11 pm
Such an unnecessary tragedy.

Such an unnecessary tragedy. My prayers for this child.

corgimom
corgimom 12/09/13 - 04:05 pm
Whenever I see a school bus,

Whenever I see a school bus, stopped or not, I know that I'm driving on a bus route, and I become hypervigilant. I cannot conceive of anybody not stopping for a bus at that time of the day; my prayers for that child and his family, and also for those traumatized children and bus driver, that is a bus driver's worst nightmare.

crockpot2001
crockpot2001 12/09/13 - 04:23 pm
Drivers....

My heart goes out to this child, the bus driver, and the other kids who saw this. I don't want to exploit this unfortunate incident in ANY way however, I hope people will see car drivers (I am one) are not paying attention. Keep that in mind until....wait for it....it's a law abiding cyclist that gets hit. All the sudden it's the bicyclists or motorcyclists fault with no recollection of sad cases like this one.

DonH
DonH 12/09/13 - 04:35 pm
Fog Road Conditions Today

Here is an example of why drivers need to slow down when road conditions are bad. In the north, it's sleet and snow; in the south, it's fog and heavy rain. There seems to always be someone who forgets. Patchy fog can fool drivers into driving the normal speed limit until it is too late to stop safely. I hope this young driver did not deliberately pass this stopped school bus. Maybe the question about school busses was not on his written license exam?

nytransplantinga
nytransplantinga 12/09/13 - 04:35 pm

I feel awful for this little boy, he got up this morning probably excited that Christmas is almost here and he will be off school. His parents sent him off never imagining this could ever happen. The children on the bus saw their friend get hurt by some careless moron. I've only lived in the area for about 6 months now, but in this time here I've seen some of the worst and most inconsiderate driving out of anywhere in the country (former military). Everyone will get where they need to be even if you extend a few courtesies on the road. Letting people switch lanes instead of speeding up to cut them off, or blocking a road even when your light is red. Not using turn signals. I worry every time my wife goes somewhere with our four year old son, please let this tragedy wake people up. If you're a safe driver make sure your friends and family are driving safe as well. It's better to be late a few minutes than late forever.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 12/09/13 - 05:04 pm
Even WITH The Fog

Fog just makes everything seem bigger -- like flashing red lights maybe. There is not enough information in the story to determine HOW the child was struck, just that he was. We need to know more about what the mini-van driver was doing. I'm sure he feels anguish and grief about what he did. Prayers to the child and his family as he recovers.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 12/09/13 - 05:23 pm
What possible excuse is there

What possible excuse is there to ignore the rules regarding a stopped bus? You KNOW that there is a child getting off the bus and you should be using the greatest of caution until the bus turns off its lights and begins rolling.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/09/13 - 05:33 pm
"There is not a place in the

"There is not a place in the world that important to be that would warrant anyone to go around a school bus"

I'm sure this young man would agree with you. I wasn't there when it occurred but I would guess he was going the opposite direction and not going around this bus. Most likely he wasn't paying attention and went passed the bus with his warning arm out and the child could have walked across the street in front of him to get on the bus. I'm sure foggy conditions did not help matters and although this young man is still at fault, I'm sure he didn't get up this morning saying....let me see if I can hit a child this morning.

"I cannot conceive of anybody not stopping for a bus at that time of the day"

I can, if they aren't paying attention.

corgimom
corgimom 12/09/13 - 06:05 pm
WRDW reported that the family

WRDW reported that the family of the little boy said he has been placed on life support; this just tears at my heart. I desperately hope that baby recovers.

getitright84
getitright84 12/09/13 - 10:37 pm
To ICL

You are still going in the path of a child if you are passing. If one sees a vehicle that resembles a bus at that hour in the morning proceed with caution and do not barrel past the vehicle that transports our future and a lot of our hearts. So for Christ's love understand that! This baby is on life support with numerous issues you know nothing about. Let me see you be this diplomatic and open minded when it's your child, grandchild, neighbor's child you bond with!

happychimer
happychimer 12/09/13 - 10:36 pm
He has also been charged with

He has also been charged with reckless driving. There is no excuse for not stopping for a school bus. none. the young man did not make a mistake. He refused to stop, and he needs to pay for what he did.

happychimer
happychimer 12/09/13 - 10:40 pm
The fog this morning was not

The fog this morning was not so bad as to keep him from seeing the bus. My husband drove by there a few minutes before it happened. He said he could see way up the road, so fog was not a factor.

KSL
KSL 12/10/13 - 01:28 am
Please understand that the

Please understand that the amount of fog in an area can differ greatly at short distances. I left my office this morning @ 11:00 to relocate to another area. The fog was right at the worst I have seen. Downtown Aiken had no visible fog only 3 miles away.

KSL
KSL 12/10/13 - 01:31 am
And conditions can change

And conditions can change quickly.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/10/13 - 09:23 am
Not too long ago

I remember when people wanted Scott Dean hung without a trial also.

happychimer
happychimer 12/10/13 - 11:23 am
He has also been charged with

He has also been charged with reckless driving.I noticed that the van he was driving has a handicap tag.

happychimer
happychimer 12/10/13 - 11:25 am
I expected people to defend

I expected people to defend the reckless driver who mowed down that 8 year old innocent child, and I was right! If it were your child or grandchild, you would be singing a different tune.