Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Couple faces child cruelty charges

Friday, Dec. 6, 2013 11:35 AM
Last updated 7:58 PM

A Grovetown couple is facing child cruelty charges in connection with the brutal beating of their 10-year-old son.

Back | Next
Petersen
Petersen

Sheriff’s deputies were called to Euchee Creek Elementary School on Wednesday after the boy complained to school officials that his stepfather beat him with an electrical cord for failing to bring home his homework.

The school nurse examined the child and found lacerations on his arms, legs, back and buttocks. The boy was taken to Georgia Regents Medical Center for treatment.

Sheriff’s officers charged his stepfather, Wilford E. Petersen Jr., 57, and mother, Shavoya T. Davis, 25, of 5429 Wrightsboro Road, with cruelty to children. They were being held Friday without bond at the Columbia County Detention Center. The boy was turned over to the Department of Family and Children Services.

jimmymac
jimmymac 12/06/13 - 11:46 am
SICK

This sicko step-parent should have the same thing happen to him. Tie him up and beat the daylights out of him and then maybe he'll see what such behavior feels like.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 12/06/13 - 12:36 pm
Lock them up

and throw away the key! He was not spanked....he was beaten...he had to have been hit pretty hard to receive lacerations. So sad.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 12/06/13 - 12:38 pm
Is that really a step-father?

The step-father has a different name than the mother. I would be willing to bet that he is a deadbeat live-in boyfriend. The children always suffer when "parents" shack up.

Farmboy
Farmboy 12/06/13 - 12:40 pm
Just my opinion..

There is no punishment harsh enough for people that do this to children.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 12/06/13 - 01:17 pm
As I Posted On Jail Report's FB Page

We can only hope that PJS will bestow an early, eternal dirt nap to both of these pieces of yak-squeeze. Quickly, but not too quickly, if you know what I mean. Child, Animal, or Elder abuse should be a Capital Offense. There is NO excuse for these animal's behavior. AND DFACS had better not EVER return this child to them.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/06/13 - 03:22 pm
Medical Treatment

Sure, the boy needed medical treatment. But a prompt care facility in Columbia County could have taken care of it. They didn't need to take him to Grooo Medical Center.

JustLilMe
JustLilMe 12/06/13 - 03:32 pm
Little Lamb- probably easier

Little Lamb- probably easier for the legal reasons to have GRU involved in the beginning. They have far too much experience with this sort of thing :(

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/06/13 - 05:04 pm
LL

Trust me he was hurt - it hurts me to know you out there don't know what teachers have to do - you gripe about unions - these teachers are on the front lines trying to save children - it would be so easy to teach them the basics - some of these children are dying and their only resource is the school to get feed, loved, and appreciated. Their worthless parents don't care -

smiling2behappy01
smiling2behappy01 12/06/13 - 05:10 pm
Where is their justice for this 10 year old Boy ? Where is it ?

What really makes me sad that the suspect's Wilford E. Petersen's mother trying to use the mental card, Oh my son came from a broken home and an from an abusive home, crock of bull . Oh Boo ! Hoo ! What the state of Georgia needs to do is beat and whip Mr. Wilford E. Petersen just like he did to that 10 year old boy & Then hang Wilford by the neck till dead ! Then the justice will be served, cause then he wont hurt anyone else .

corgimom
corgimom 12/06/13 - 05:49 pm
The same thing was done to

The same thing was done to him as a child. My mother did it to us, too, because it was done to her. Back in the old days, it wasn't a crime, it wasn't frowned upon. My uncle was beaten so badly by my grandfather that he couldn't go to school for 2 weeks- and that was not unusual back in 1935.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/06/13 - 06:12 pm
CMom

And so, your statement is pointless unless you do this to your own - most of us do not beat our children no matter the up bringing we had

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/06/13 - 07:28 pm
Exactly! The cycle of abuse

Exactly! The cycle of abuse HAS to be broken! If it takes the law to initiate that breakage, or that change, then so be it. I DO NOT CARE what rationale is used by the abuser and his defenders, the abuser DOES KNOW what is right and wrong, and that it should not be done! We call it a "moral compass" and it guides you to know what is right and wrong.

triscuit
triscuit 12/06/13 - 10:51 pm
So "mom" is 25, with a 10

So "mom" is 25, with a 10 year old son? Do the math. "Dad" is 57...more than twice her age? Poor child.

Pops
Pops 12/07/13 - 05:34 pm
He could be

the real father.......

my.voice
my.voice 12/08/13 - 10:57 am
An electrical cord? Really

An electrical cord? Really dude? Bully taking out HIS frustration on a child. I hope you get what you've got coming.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 12/09/13 - 10:45 pm
I am so relieved to see

I am so relieved to see people responding like LillyfromtheMills and Just My Opinion. It always discourages me when other people say their parents beat them as if it was some kind of reason or excuse for their behavior. Like Just My Opinion said, the cycle of abuse has to stop. I don't care if whole generations did it; it's wrong. It is irrelevant to THIS child if you and your ancestors were beaten for generations, except that you MAKE IT SO. I don't care if you're a well-thought of and well-heeled member of the community; if you slap your teenage child on her mouth in a church lobby, it's still wrong. If you are dining out in public and your teenager mouths off at you and you slap her in the face, it's still wrong, even if your parents once did it to you. Make it stop with you.

Crowd turns out for Sanders memorial

ATLANTA -- A large crowd filled a downtown Atlanta church Saturday for the memorial service for Carl Sanders, an Augusta native who had served as governor in the height of the Civil Rights Movement.