Man killed changing tire on I-285

Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013 7:43 AM
Last updated 6:56 PM

ATLANTA — Police say a man struck and killed by a car along Interstate 285 was changing his tire along the freeway.

Fulton County police Cpl. Kay Lester said he had pulled over in the shoulder of the freeway near the Cascade Road exit around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. Police say the driver who hit the man stopped. It's unclear whether that motorist will face charges.

The man who was killed was later identified as 54-year-old Dwight Moody of Covington.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports since August, there have been three similar accidents.

A brother and sister were killed Aug. 26 as they changed a tire near on I-75 in Morrow.

Last month, a man was killed on I-20 in DeKalb County when he stopped to help someone with a flat tire.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/04/13 - 10:14 am
Driving in Atlanta

Please be careful....this happens too much.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/04/13 - 10:46 am
There is

so much texting and cellphone usage while driving here in the Atlanta metro area. I don't mean to imply this was the cause of this horrific scene, but everytime I drive 575 or 75, I almost get hit by distracted drivers using the phone or texting. God bless the souls of those who passed.

ragingbull
ragingbull 12/04/13 - 01:18 pm
He should have went on up to

He should have went on up to the exit and pulled onto the shoulder of the exit ramp. He may have torn up the tire in the process but he would have been considerably safer. I would rather have to pay for a new tire than risk life and limb. This should be a lesson to all. Traffic is way to heavy and dangerous on 285.

nocnoc
nocnoc 12/04/13 - 01:28 pm
A good example of a BAD solution

Atlanta needed more lanes just before the 96 Olympics so they re-stripped the lanes narrower, and cut back down and in some cases eliminated the Breakdown Lanes in areas to accomplish their quick cheap minded goal.

SIB4 can tell you of the increase in Side swipe accidents, breakdown lane injuries and more on I-285, I-85 and others.

Why do I bring this up?
Here in ARC I-520 (BJ) is undergoing a widening from Gordon Hwy to
Hwy 56 loop. Currently GA DOT has re-striped the lanes and also
using the Breakdown Lane as a traffic lane.

Be Careful,

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/05/13 - 08:41 am
Issue

Yes, the lanes are narrow, but the main issue is speed. Too many cars, in too tight a space, going way too fast.