Ga. couple delivers own baby in back of speeding ambulance

Thursday, Oct. 10, 2013 7:26 AM
Last updated 7:29 PM

ACWORTH, Ga. — A Georgia couple had to deliver their baby themselves in the back of an ambulance rolling down Interstate 285.

New mom Tinsley Stephens tells WSB-TV that she started driving from Acworth to Northside Hospital herself early Sunday when it became clear the baby was coming.

A few minutes down the road, she knew she wouldn’t make it.

Her husband Danny, a paramedic, was at work and so she drove to his ambulance station. An EMT started driving, and she and her husband worked to deliver the baby.

The baby’s umbilical cord was wrapped twice around his neck. Danny Tinsley cut the cord to stop the baby from choking, then handed his wife a clamp so she could stop her own bleeding.

The newborn, Owen Stephens, is doing fine.

Watermedic
Watermedic 10/10/13 - 07:49 am
All in a days work!!!

Awesome job Mom and Dad!!

ragingbull
ragingbull 10/10/13 - 08:50 am
What a heartwarming story.

What a heartwarming story.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/10/13 - 09:10 am
Can't resist

Just waiting for the headline
Couple delivers own baby due to the (SEQUESTER or SHUTDOWN).

Followed the usual ....how _____ have had to cut back on NON_Essential personal.

deestafford
deestafford 10/10/13 - 09:50 am
This is going to be a special child.

I wonder if the name will reflect the circumstances of birth.

nocnoc
nocnoc 10/10/13 - 10:27 am
All kidding aside...

Great job all around.

ragingbull
ragingbull 10/10/13 - 11:43 am
What I am wondering, and all

What I am wondering, and all kidding aside, with the pain and other complications of child birth, how was she able to clamp her bleeding? She has just went through nine months of a bulging stomach carrying this child, and given her condition how was she supposed to reach down and stop her own bleeding?

Darby
Darby 10/10/13 - 11:48 am
I'm thinking the old pioneer spirit is still alive

and well in this country in spite of intense efforts to convert us to socialism.

I'm of the belief that if you dropped this family into a prairie schooner about 200 years ago, they might just fit right in.

Darby
Darby 10/10/13 - 11:51 am
That was...

...funny nocnoc.

my.voice
my.voice 10/10/13 - 12:29 pm
Brings new meaning to "I

Brings new meaning to "I BROUGHT YOU IN THIS WORLD AND I WILL TAKE YOU OUT!"

Good job Mom and Dad........and Baby!