Georgia's 'Sponge Bob' controversy

Monday, Sept. 30, 2013 8:20 AM
Last updated 7:28 PM

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Savannah’s film office director has been suspended over complaints regarding the upcoming production of “SpongeBob 2 The Movie.”

A city memo accuses Film Services Director Jay Self of failing to properly plan and manage arrangements for filming of the movie. It cites complaints about Self’s role from local businesses, the state of Georgia and the Savannah Economic Development Authority.

The Sept. 23 memo, from Self’s boss Joseph Shearouse, was obtained by WTOC-TV. The memo also states that Self was told in August that his job was in jeopardy.

Self is appealing the suspension, which is expected be reviewed this week by City Manager Stephanie Cutter.

The Savannah Morning News reports that storefronts along Broughton Street were recently painted to resemble a seaside community in preparation for filming through November.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/30/13 - 08:36 am
Story Flow

The last paragraph does not fit with the rest of this story.

It would have been better if the story detailed a few of the complaints. Since we are not told a single complaint, we can draw no conclusions.

And what about this "suspension" — was it with pay or without pay? How long is the term of the suspension?

bdouglas
bdouglas 09/30/13 - 09:33 am
my.voice
my.voice 09/30/13 - 11:41 am
"Savannah’s film office

"Savannah’s film office director has been suspended over complaints regarding the upcoming production of “SpongeBob 2 The Movie.”"

Who complained?.....Patrick?

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 09/30/13 - 12:39 pm
Smells Fishy...

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. But all kidding aside, this does NOT seem to me to be all on the up and up. And yes, there appears not enough information being provided, for a truly understandable story to be derived.

bdouglas
bdouglas 10/01/13 - 06:59 pm
@Marinerman1 Much more

@Marinerman1 Much more coherent and helpful story at the link I provided....which someone gave a thumbs down for personal reasons, I can only assume.