Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Bomb squad called out to Augusta grocery about backpack

Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:47 AM
Last updated 6:48 PM

A Saturday bomb squad investigation at the Kroger on 15th street determined that a suspicious backpack left near propane tanks contained nothing dangerous.

Map View

Javascript is required to view this map.

According to a news release from the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office, both the bomb squad and fire department were called when someone noticed the bookbag.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/28/13 - 10:12 am
Things like that probably

Things like that probably happen all over the country these days.

pelumaad
pelumaad 04/28/13 - 10:43 am
Riverman

Yep....irrational fear everywhere....

Ego556
Ego556 04/28/13 - 11:11 am
a suspicious item left near

a suspicious item left near propane tanks is hardly an irrational fear. it's called being vigilant.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 04/28/13 - 11:20 am
Ego556...my thoughts exactly!

Ego556...my thoughts exactly!

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/28/13 - 12:35 pm
dangerous world

we have to live in and it pays to be safe than to have to be sorry

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 04/28/13 - 07:31 pm
I just wish the media would

I just wish the media would stop reporting stuff like this...attention seekers get just what they want when the media reports this.

Darby
Darby 04/28/13 - 08:30 pm
"Yep....irrational fear everywhere...."

I don't know. Given the unmitigated success to the bombers in Boston, it might not be a bad idea for everyone to be just a little more alert for the foreseeable future.

I'll be attending my granddaughter's graduation from NYU next month. The thing's gonna be in Yankee Stadium. Backpacks are not allowed. All the same, I'll look around before taking my seat.

But then I've been doing that since I learned the hard way in Viet-Nam.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/29/13 - 05:42 am
BUDDY, CAN YOU SPARE SOME POINTS? OKAY, THANKS!!

Went to Regal Cinema this weekend and was surprised when they let in a 20-something guy wearing a black backpack, no search.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/29/13 - 06:18 am
Looking at it from a Terrorists

It does raise the question, what practical and logical extra steps will taken next year for our annual International high profile event?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/29/13 - 08:15 am
Ain't It Just Great

to be living in this Beautiful America like we did back in the 40's and 50's!

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 04/29/13 - 09:35 am
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Gone is the world I grew up in where kids could stay out all day and play without the parents having to worry....where disagreements at school ended in fisticuffs instead of shootings...where abandoned backpacks didn't bring a fear of another bombing.

It's a shame we have to live with a "heightened awareness" of what's going on around us - to look for potential threats and take necessary action to prevent and diffuse them. That's the world we now live in - I don't think it's irrational fear - it's reality.

Darby
Darby 04/29/13 - 12:11 pm
"Looking at it from a Terrorists

perspective, not enough people, not a national event location, no high profile politicians etc..."

If I were one of them, that would be a prime target. Think what it would do to the theater and motion picture industry. Who would be willing to go and sit in the dark, not knowing....

I'm sure it would help DVD sales, but beyond that it could be devastating to a large segment of our economy.

And make no mistake, our economy is the primary target.

Mother tries to conceal newborn's birth

Cierra Y'Kesia Simms, 22, initially told Richmond County Sheriff's deputies about 7 a.m. Wednesday that she had discovered the baby on the ground behind the Masonic Temple on Wrightsboro Road, ...