Reese Witherspoon charged with disorderly conduct

Monday, April 22, 2013 12:09 AM
Last updated 7:30 AM

ATLANTA — Oscar-winning actress Reese Witherspoon was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge after a state trooper said she wouldn’t stay in the car while her husband was given a field sobriety test in Atlanta.

Back | Next
This combination of undated photo provided by the City of Atlanta Department of Corrections shows Reese Witherspoon, left, her husband James Toth. The Oscar-winning actress was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge after a state trooper said she wouldn't stay in the car while Toth was given a field sobriety test in Atlanta. (AP Photo/City of Atlanta Department of Corrections)  Uncredited
Uncredited

Witherspoon was released from jail after the Friday morning arrest and was in New York Sunday night for the premiere of her new film “Mud.” She posed for cameras on the red carpet but did not stop to talk to reporters.

The trooper noticed the car driven by her husband wasn’t staying in its lane early Friday morning, so a traffic stop was initiated. Her husband, James Toth, had droopy eyelids, watery, bloodshot eyes, and his breath smelled strongly of alcohol, according to the report.

Toth told the trooper he’d had a drink, which Witherspoon said was consumed at a restaurant two hours before the traffic stop, the trooper writes.

Before the field sobriety test began, the 37-year-old Witherspoon got out of the car, was told to get back in and obeyed, the report said. After the “Walk the Line” star got out a second time, the trooper said he warned her that she would be arrested if she left the car again.

As the test continued, “Mrs. Witherspoon began to hang out the window and say that she did not believe that I was a real police officer. I told Mrs. Witherspoon to sit on her butt and be quiet,” Trooper First Class J. Pyland writes.

Toth, 42, was then placed under arrest. He was charged with driving under the influence and failure to maintain the lane.

At that point, the report says, Witherspoon got out and asked the trooper what was going on. After being told to return to the car, she “stated that she was a ‘US Citizen’ and that she was allowed to ‘stand on American ground,’” the report states.

The trooper then began to arrest Witherspoon. The report says Witherspoon was resistant at first but was calmed down by her husband.

“Do you know my name?” Witherspoon is quoted as asking the trooper. She also said: “You’re about to find out who I am” and “You’re about to be on national news,” according to the report.

Toth and Witherspoon were then taken to jail.

A message left at the office of Witherspoon’s publicist, Meredith O’Sullivan Wasson, wasn’t immediately returned Sunday.

News of the arrest broke shortly before Witherspoon arrived on the “Mud” red carpet.

“I can’t say anything because I don’t know,” said director Jeff Nichols. “ I literally — the first guy on the press line to say something was the first time I heard about it so I gotta go figure it out.”

Matthew McConaughey, who plays the lead role in “Mud” and is represented by Toth, said “I’m not going to comment on that because it’s too fresh.”

__

AP reporter Lauri Neff contributed to this report from New York.

Comments (11)

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/22/13 - 12:28 am

"Do you know my name"

I was going to say "mud", but after reading the article I see she's working on a film titled Mud.

How poetic. It doesn't get any better than this.

corgimom
19259
corgimom 04/22/13 - 07:29 am

Jim Toth is a medical

Jim Toth is a medical miracle, he can drink one drink 2 hours beforehand and have a BAL of .13. *snort*

That must've been SOME DRINK.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/22/13 - 07:47 am

Hollywierd.

That's all that needs to be said.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/22/13 - 07:52 am

I think the answer is MUD!

So funny that movie stars think their name means a free card out of trouble....

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/22/13 - 08:11 am

Reality

"So funny that movie stars think their name means a free card out of trouble...." So often is the case.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/22/13 - 09:17 am

Her problem was

I guess Hubby goes to jail for a DUI.
An surprise she gets lots of free press and plugs for a New Movie.
I am sure the 2 are not related.

Besides being a millionaires 100's of times over, she has now has grown an ego to match. Also she needs to remember she is NOT royalty no matter how pampered a life she lives.

To the GA. Smokey.... as Dixieman mite say..... a BILLION AT-A-BOYS for doing your job.

my.voice
my.voice 04/22/13 - 09:47 am

Wait! I know this one! Are

Wait! I know this one! Are you Kobe Bryant?

my.voice
my.voice 04/22/13 - 10:22 am

Her little hollow

Her little hollow apology:

"Out of respect for the ongoing legal situation, I cannot comment on everything that is being reported right now. But I do want to say I clearly had one drink too many and I am deeply embarrassed about the things I said. It was definitely a scary situation and I was frightened for my husband, but that was no excuse. I was disrespectful to the officer who was just doing his job. The words I used that night definitely do not reflect who I am. I have nothing but respect for the police and I am very sorry for my behavior."

You're still justifying your behavior, mam. Admit it, you were ticked off that drunk driving laws even apply to "stars" and their spouses.

Not that it will make a difference but I wont see another movie with you in it, I'm just not important enough.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 04/22/13 - 11:10 am

Window into the world of Hollyweird....

With just a few words, Witherspoon gives us a nice little insight into the self-important, self-absorbed world of the Hollywood....*gag*....."star". Ms Witherspoon is exempt from the laws which apply to mere mortals such as you and me or at least thinks she should be. Say "hello" to America's royalty. The privileged crowd.

This should help some of you understand why these folk take to their soap-boxes at election time and tell us how we should vote for their favorite liberal. They're superior to us little people.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/22/13 - 12:05 pm

Yes Reese, we know your name.

Yes Reese, we know your name. But the Chronicle apparently won't let me say it.

Farmboy
Farmboy 04/22/13 - 12:17 pm

Cut the girl some slack..

She is not the 1st person that has ever done anything like that. Maybe she really is sorry. Just because someone is rich and famous does not mean that they are not human..

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 04/22/13 - 12:22 pm

Yes, We Know Who You Are

You are some drunk woman, hanging out of the window while your husband is busted for DUI. Clearly, he must've been the closest to sober, between the two of you. Not good...And it also shows that alcohol is NOT your friend. You're not a happy drunk...

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 04/22/13 - 12:54 pm

Too bad she couldn't use her mug shot

from "Sweet Home Alabama"..it was MUCH more flattering than this one..

Jake
Jake 04/22/13 - 02:29 pm

Sobriety Test

I wonder if the officer made her husband "Walk The Line"?
If she had interfered with the arrest and been sent to jail then I am sure they would have been able to determine if she was "Legally Blonde" when putting on an orange jumpsuit.

grinder48
grinder48 04/22/13 - 02:52 pm

Apology

I've read in other sources that she apologized and acknowledged her error. I'm sure practically all of us who've taken a snort or two can easily imagine screwing up and saying something stupid. All you can do when you have is to say, "I'm sorry, I was wrong", which she did.

New chair gets vet off-road to fish

Army veteran Henry Kent's new Action Trackchair has attachments for fishing, with a holder for his fishing pole and a built-in tackle box, but others can be outfitted with gunracks for hunting.