SC boy, 2, accidentally shoots self

Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:04 PM
Last updated 6:54 PM

GREENVILLE, S.C. — A 2-year-old Greenville County boy has been hospitalized after authorities say he accidentally shot himself with his father’s gun.

Deputies say the boy and his father were visiting grandparents on in Berea on Saturday afternoon when the boy reached into his dad’s pocket and grabbed a pistol, which fired.

Police say the boy was shot in the upper body. Relatives put pressure on the wound and called 911, and the boy was taken to the hospital for surgery.

Authorities are investigating. The boy’s name hasn’t been released.

Comments (14)

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 04/21/13 - 12:31 pm

Honestly, I can only feel

Honestly, I can only feel so bad for the two year old and the parents. I'm certain the father had it in his pocket for safe keeping. I know first hand how fast a child can do something so dangerous with us right next to them. My prayers for the child and family. God please let this child be okay.

corgimom
19146
corgimom 04/21/13 - 12:53 pm

I feel bad for the little

I feel bad for the little boy, not for the father. Next time, the baby will be dead.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/22/13 - 11:29 am

How does a toddler do that if the safety is on?

And if the safety wasn't on (or, alternatively, the trigger too stiff for a tot), how could this dad have convinced anyone he has enough brains to own a gun? Nobody with the sense God gave a hammer puts a loaded gun in his pocket without having the safety firmly in the locked position, or otherwise not able to be fired unintentionally.

This dad is possibly fortunate his son didn't kill him instead of shooting himself.

JENNPAT
JENNPAT 04/21/13 - 02:37 pm

Why did the Father have the gun

I was just wondering why the father had a gun in his pocket.That is kind of strange.And if he had a permit for this gun.I pray this little boy willl well soon i will be praying for him and his family

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/21/13 - 03:51 pm

Who in

today's society carrys a gun in their pocket to visit relatives? God help the little boy!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/21/13 - 06:14 pm

Fiat, my Glock 27 does not

Fiat, my Glock 27 does not have a lockable safety. It is built into the trigger; you don't pull it, the pin can't engage.

allhans
21921
allhans 04/21/13 - 07:55 pm

How did a two year get a gun

How did a two year get a gun from a pocket? Did the Dad just stand there ...

fedex227
fedex227 04/21/13 - 08:57 pm

"Did the Dad just stand there ..."

Probably. Or maybe he thought it was cute ... "look pa, he's goin' fer m'gun."

Too bad there's not an I.Q. test for owning a weapon.

fedex227
fedex227 04/21/13 - 08:43 pm

"This dad is possibly fortunate his son didn't kill him ...

instead of shooting himself."

Fortunate? Fortunate?!?

KSL
KSL 04/21/13 - 09:25 pm

My revolver does not have a

My revolver does not have a safety, but that is one heck of a strong 2 year old who can pull that trigger.

Better question. Why does someone think he needs to be armed and ready while visiting his child's grandparents? I never felt that need!!

KSL
KSL 04/21/13 - 09:31 pm

This story smells worse than

This story smells worse than rotten potatoes.

Georgialina
Georgialina 04/21/13 - 10:31 pm

KSL is right

This story really dose not pass the "smell test" At a minimum trigger pull poundage should have been too strong for a 2 year old to pull. On the other hand, the brain power of the dad should have been stronger than to just stand there and let the 2 year old get the gun out of his pocket. Did he think about maybe, I don't know, stopping the toddler BEFORE he put his hand in the same pocked that held a loaded firearm???

KSL
KSL 04/22/13 - 12:48 am

Corgi, you are better than

Corgi, you are better than that. The next time, he won't be a baby, in this case.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/22/13 - 08:18 am

I Think What Is Missing In This Tragic Accident Is ---

the make and model of the weapon the 2 year old was able to retrieve from his fathers pocket....then and only then can I make a comment.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/22/13 - 08:19 am

JENNPAT, "I was just

JENNPAT, "I was just wondering why the father had a gun in his pocket."

Because as of today, it's still legal. Do you have car insurance? If so, does that mean you WANT to wreck your car? Of course not. People carry firearms in the hopes that they won't need them, but with the knowledge that they COULD need them. Think of it as insurance. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/22/13 - 10:41 am

Thank you Angela. That so

Thank you Angela. That so many would question with apparent incredulity is very telling. Do people have no pride in the fact they live in a free society? Do they have no idea why they have the freedoms they enjoy?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/22/13 - 10:46 am

I carry a gun EVERYWHERE I

I carry a gun EVERYWHERE I go, where it is legal to do so......Some may ask "what are you afraid of?" My answer.....nothing.

Augusta pensioners eye benefit increase

With an eye on the millions remaining in the city's oldest pension funds - its 1945 and 1949 plans - a handful of retired city and county employees are reviving a push to increase their monthly ...