Tiger paw painted at USC stadium

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:39 AM
Last updated 6:31 PM

COLUMBIA — Clemson and South Carolina don’t meet on the football field until the end of November.

But someone is getting an early start on the rivalry by painting a Tiger Paw on the field at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia.

The paw also was painted on one of the train cars known as “Cockabooses” parked next to the stadium, along with the phrase “Go Tigers.”

South Carolina officials say they are investigating the vandalism.

The teams meet in Columbia this year on Nov. 30. South Carolina has won the last four games.

my.voice
my.voice 04/17/13 - 10:52 am
This all started when some SC

This all started when some SC students dropped off a load of chickens at Clemson.......... and wouldn't you know it........ those guys made an egg farm!

David Parker
David Parker 04/17/13 - 11:30 am
As long as it's not too

As long as it's not too destructive and permanent, I'm good with it. No tree-killin or pouring poison on the plants though. This doesn't involve them.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/18/13 - 09:20 am
This isn't vandalism (mostly)

It's rivalry. Except painting the Cockaboose. That was vandalism.

Quit acting like a bunch of whining weenies and come up with something even more clever to hand Clemson. Without the vandalism part.

Better yet, stomp the everliving fudge out of Clemson in November.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/17/13 - 11:59 am
Super Glue

Those Lakeside High girls who super-glued the locks should have done something like this.

The Lakeside girls were identified from the surveillance cameras they have all over our primary and secondary schools these days. Do they have something like that over at Williams-Brice?

KSL
KSL 04/17/13 - 10:28 pm
Those cockabooses are

Those cockabooses are privately owned or leased and are quite expensive. I don't go along with school pranks that are directed at private individuals or businesses.

KSL
KSL 04/17/13 - 09:37 pm
So Fiat, my good friend, it

So Fiat, my good friend, it is vandalism.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/17/13 - 09:34 pm
Pretty Funny

The payback will be interesting.

KSL
KSL 04/17/13 - 09:41 pm
justthefacts

You are a big UGA fan. I am certain you would not find it amusing to return to your car after a game with a rival and find your car spray painted with the rival's colors or emblem.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/17/13 - 09:44 pm

I was referring to the field, which will grow out.

KSL
KSL 04/17/13 - 09:53 pm
So you just read the

So you just read the headline, not the article. I understand. I just got around to reading the article. I thought the same thing, that they had painted the grass.

For those who want proof of what I said, here is a link.

KSL
KSL 04/17/13 - 10:25 pm
I hope the SC officials

I hope the SC officials investigating are SLED, or at the local police. This crime ranks up there with when my son was there an auto theft ring was operating on campus during exams when schedules were different. His car was stolen, but the standard transmission clutch was so sensitive (exactly why I made him get his driver's license in it) that the idiot thief stalled it in traffic near the stadium. He didn't dare re-hotwire it in that much public, so he abandoned it. Campus police found it and called the police, who called me, since it was one of my cars.

jmo
jmo 04/18/13 - 03:30 am
LL

I thought that it was Greenbrier High girls that used the super glue.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/18/13 - 07:48 am
JMO

You may be right. It all meshes into a blur in my mind.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/18/13 - 09:31 am
Is it possible the cockaboose info was added later?

The article was updated at 6:31 pm, which was loooong after I posted my comment. I did read the article but don't remember anything about the cockaboose.

I edited my original comment because I also believe painting the cockaboose to be vandalism. Letting the grass grow a week or two and then cutting the paw print off doesn't seem such a big deal in terms of expense or elbow grease--kind of on a par with the KAs painting the SAE lion every so often.

KSL
KSL 04/18/13 - 10:19 am
Probably, Fiat. As I said, I

Probably, Fiat. As I said, I didn't read the article until just before I posted. I didn't check the original time of the article and updates versus posts. My bad. Son was on the USC football team when the cockabooses were sold. We were somewhere and saw a very old and dilapidated caboose and my husband remarked, "Maybe we can afford that one."

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.