Ga. sheriff takes office despite indictment

Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013 7:31 AM
Last updated 6:40 PM

JONESBORO, Ga. — A Georgia sheriff has taken office with the start of the new year, despite facing a felony indictment.

Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill took office on New Year’s Day, reclaiming the office he lost in 2008.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that he almost immediately dispatched deputies to set up roadblocks early Tuesday to catch drunken New Year’s drivers.

The Georgia Sheriff’s Association has called for Gov. Nathan Deal to start proceedings for suspending Hill, but recent history shows Georgia governors typically don’t get involved in such cases.

Hill has been indicted on 32 felony charges stemming from a prior term he served as sheriff from 2005 to 2008. He maintains that the charges are politically motivated.

Despite the legal troubles, Hill won a comeback bid in the November elections.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/02/13 - 08:39 am
Unbelievable

He has cost Clayton county mucho $$$ with law suits...& here we go again.....a very poor county with 0 leadership...the school tanked a few years ago.....this is our future with the voting system......people with ANY common sense are leaving in droves.....
Sometimes you just say HAVE AT IT..I'M OUTTA HERE!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/02/13 - 09:02 am
Conyers area was and will be again,

the biggest speed trap section of I-20 in GA.

If he stays in office.

Dan White 01/02/13 - 10:58 am
I-20 speed trap

Worst speed trap is Taliaferro County. The improvished county uses speeding fines to stay afloat and pay their bills. One deputy has radar on top of the bridge. The other one is the pursuer.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/02/13 - 12:56 pm
I will say the Toliver and

I will say the Toliver and Greene county boys abide by the GSP rules and don't pull you over for <10 over. Not so with SCHP, I've been pulled for 4 over and warned. All that said, I've never gotten a ticket I didn't EARN. Knock on wood, it has been many years.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/02/13 - 12:58 pm
Back to the Clayton Co story

Richmond County in the future.......

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 01/02/13 - 04:38 pm
GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 01/02/13 - 04:40 pm
Speeding is a misdemeanor in

Speeding is a misdemeanor in georgia. Check it out. It is the only state

Young Fred
Young Fred 01/02/13 - 05:15 pm
What am I missing? This

What am I missing?

This article makes no sense. There is no “flow”, no logical “steps” from A to B.

As a matter of fact, it appears “they’ve”….

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/02/13 - 07:29 pm
itsanotherday1...Can I Add

Richmond County in the future......(if White and out of county)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/02/13 - 07:31 pm
myfather15

better expect a lot of crap when you stop this one!

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 01/02/13 - 08:49 pm
Indictment

Innicent till convicted, I say, after all we have voted in much worse, Nationaly.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 01/02/13 - 10:15 pm
With 32 felony counts against

With 32 felony counts against a sitting Sheriff, why would the Justice Department not get involved?

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 01/02/13 - 10:20 pm
I've never had a problem in

I've never had a problem in Conyers, Taliferro or Toliver, but I'm a regular customer in Greene County. I've traveled the Greensboro Road so many times, we're on a first name basis.

GiantsAllDay

Boudreaux 01/03/13 - 08:45 am
Toliver?

Where's Toliver county?

Jane18
Jane18 01/03/13 - 10:03 am
Toliver??

Boudreaux, think maybe that is Taliaferro Cty.?

Jane18
Jane18 01/03/13 - 10:05 am
Sheriff of Clayton Cty.

The same mindset of people that voted for the president, are the same ones that voted for this accused lawbreaking sheriff!

URA votes to issue bonds for Municipal Building renovation

Augusta's Urban Redevelopment Agency agreed Thursday to issue nearly $27 million in revenue bonds to raise up to $28.5 million in cash for ongoing renovations and a new information technology ...