Dr. 'Curly' Watson dies at 102

Augusta Chronicle file
Dr. W.G. "Curly" Watson in 2007 interview
Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012 7:28 AM
Last updated 10:40 AM

Dr. W.G. “Curly” Watson, 102, has died.

Watson had practiced at Uni­ver­sity Hospital for more than 60 years, and he is estimated to have delivered 15,000 babies there over about 50 years. He had been hospitalized after a fall at his home.

A hospital spokeswoman confirmed this morning that Watson passed away early today.

In a career that included decades of teaching medical students and residents at his alma mater, the Medical College of Georgia, Watson routinely tried to avoid honors and banquets. He allowed University to name its Women’s Center after him and allowed the hospital to throw him a 100th birthday party, which was crowded with people he had delivered and their families. Last year, MCG gave him its Presidential Lifetime Achieve­ment Award.

Last year, he quit scheduling patient appointments to slow down a little, but he still came into the office and the hospital to see patients and consult.

He was the oldest living graduate of The Citadel, where he graduated in 1931.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/24/12 - 07:32 am
History lost

A man of a different century that accomplished much and stayed out of the lime light while doing it.

Such great people are far and in between.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/24/12 - 07:33 am
So sad

Rest in peace curly....you deserve a rest.....you are a very special person & I'm crying now just like I did in the hospital ...

mejustnutts
mejustnutts 10/24/12 - 07:40 am
Dr. Curly Watson

Dr. Watson delivered both of my children well into his 70's. I wouldn't have anyone else but him. I grieve for such a great gentleman who always had a gentle manner and a kind touch. Men like him a few and far between. My sincere condolences to his wife, children, grandchildren and the rest of his family. He is dancing in heaven right now.

Cynical old woman
Cynical old woman 10/24/12 - 07:46 am
God bless his family

What a great man who led by example.

stillamazed
stillamazed 10/24/12 - 07:46 am
Very Sad News

What a nice man and an inspiration to us all.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/24/12 - 08:06 am
God bless

Dr. Watson's soul.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 10/24/12 - 08:14 am
I didn't know

Dr. Watson, but a lifetime of service to to his community deserves a round of applause and a very special "thank you." Rest In Peace, good Doctor.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 10/24/12 - 08:42 am
B4

I understand your sadness - and now to celebrate his life - can't even imagine the thousands of families and lives he touched in such a loving way - talk about a legacy!

beboisme
beboisme 10/24/12 - 08:48 am
Good bye Dr. Watson, until we

Good bye Dr. Watson, until we meet again in that sweet by and by.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/24/12 - 09:41 am
I'm sorry

I am not from Augusta and I did not know Dr. Watson but my heart goes out to the thousands apon thousands of lives he touched.
Augustan's should feel lucky that God allowed such a great man to walk the Earth for such a long time. Augusta has lost an incredible human being but Heaven has gained a beautiful soul.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 10/24/12 - 10:20 am
In Memory

I'm going to have a bloody mary and shrimp for breakfast :) and give Dr. Watson a toast!

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/24/12 - 10:35 am
Thank you Dr. Watson

Our lose is heaven's gain. A true southern gentleman who can never be replaced. A true hero. He cared about people. Thank you Dr Watson for our three beautiful healthy children. Now grown. All born in room B421 (Barrett Wing) at the old UH. I have the number tag from that door. Thank you for caring for my wife for some three decades. You came to our home for her first post delivery checkup. Our son's bill was $90, including prenatal visits, delivery and the clip.

May the Lord keep and comfort the Watson Family.

Edward1968
Edward1968 10/24/12 - 10:50 am
May he rest in peace

I hope all current and future physicians will follow Dr. Watson's example of what a doctor should be.

saltine
saltine 10/24/12 - 11:28 am
Dr.Watson

I remember my first visit to see him.OMG his hands looked
H U G E!!!!!,
until I woke up from delieving my first child, he had one hand ,rubbing my arm and the other one ,holding my hand.
he then told me ,I made him fell like a grand-pa. Loved him like a grand-pa.

nash63
nash63 10/24/12 - 11:37 am
Dr. Watson

Dr. Watson was a kind, gentle, giving man who touched thousands upon thousands of people in his lifetime. From delivering babies to serving on committees at Grace United Methodist Church to community service to just about every good thing you can name, he did it with grace, humility, honor, and integrity. He was still at work when my dad was dying and stopped by the room to check on us and to wish us well. He was 84 at the time, and was still active right up to the past few days. We should all be so fortunate to live right up to the end, doing just what we want to do. My heart goes out to his family and to all of the people dear to him. He was a wonderful example of a good and Godly man. May he rest in peace.

afadel
afadel 10/24/12 - 01:33 pm
RIP Dr. Watson

Dr. Watson has always been a friend to our family. Our condolences to his family.

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.