Ga. prison guard fatally stabbed

Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012 10:44 AM
Last updated 6:56 PM

MACON, Ga. — Authorities say they are investigating the fatal stabbing of a correctional officer at Telfair State Prison by an inmate.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation Agent Todd Lowery said the attack Thursday killed 46-year-old Larry Stell. Lowery told The Macon Telegraph  that the attack happened in a dormitory where 80 inmates were held.

Stell's body was taken to an Atlanta crime laboratory for an autopsy.

Further details on the killing were not immediately available.

Lowery said the inmate suspected in the killing has been transferred to another prison and will be held there until he's charged in the case.

jackrussell
jackrussell 10/13/12 - 12:38 pm
I sure hope the state goes

I sure hope the state goes for the death penalty. I mean, the guy's already in prison, so what if he gets more time? Sadly, he'd probably be out in 20 or less anyway.

My prayers go out to the family and friends of the slain officer.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 10/13/12 - 03:56 pm
Brave men and women

There's a series currently running on the Nat Geo channel called "Hard Time" or something similar. It traces the day to day lives of prisoners and guards in various correctional institutions around the country, including Georgia. One thing is abundantly clear; the men and women who work in these facilities risk their lives constantly amidst the violent thugs who are incarcerated therein. It's not a job I would want and I hold in high esteem those men and women who perform this difficult but so necessary task, every day.

May God rest this man's soul and give peace to his family

MTBer
MTBer 10/13/12 - 06:06 pm
This hurts...again

I work in a Federal Prison, and have been an employee of Federal/State systems for nearing 20 years now. When you walk into work every single day and hear the doors close behind you, where you work becomes rather stark. The fact of you going home that day is not a given, as Larry Stell's family knows all too well. The fact that we have not been seen as worthy of any raise for three years now is even more of a slap in the face...

freeradical
freeradical 10/13/12 - 08:28 pm
More news reports about

More news reports about prisoners being shot dead are what is needed.

This is the second report in the last 4months I have read of guards

being stabbed.

Can't remember the last news report of a prisoner being shot dead.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 10/14/12 - 12:35 am
The last thing I thought of

The last thing I thought of was a pay raise when I read this story.

KSL
KSL 10/14/12 - 03:28 am
I am sick and tired of people

I am sick and tired of people whining about not getting a raise. My spouse lost a 6 figure contract with no unemployment safety net.

daphne3520
daphne3520 10/14/12 - 07:44 am
Well, you'e can flame me to no end, but....

there ARE some cops, prison guards and others that let a little authority go to their heads and they become downright arrogant AND abusive. Maybe this "hack," was one of those? MAYBE????

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/14/12 - 08:50 am
As long

as liberals claim prisoners are people who can be salvaged, we will have this unfortunate type of incident. One in five hundred may learn from their mistakes. The rest just become more cunning animals. God bless Mr. Stell's soul and his family.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/14/12 - 05:19 pm
I tend to agree KSL. People

I tend to agree KSL. People should be happy they have a job in this fiasco economy. Most government employees have no idea how hard it is in the private sector to make a living wage today. Thanks to this presidency.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/14/12 - 06:28 pm
As I've said before, I watch

As I've said before, I watch a lot of the "lock-up" shows and it amazes me at the cavalier attitude so many prisoners have; especially those with long sentences. They get charges for infractions that put them in ad-seg for periods of time, but that doesn't seem to impact their outlook. Maybe we should have a point system and if you keep screwing up you are permanently placed in 24/7 lockup for the rest of your term. If you kill, you get the needle.

Court rules in probation case

ATLANTA -- The Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision this morning concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor ...