Falcons' Turner faces charges of DUI, speeding hours after win against Denver

Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2012 10:39 AM
Last updated 6:28 PM

ATLANTA — Atlanta Falcons running back Michael Turner was jailed on charges of drunken driving and speeding early Tuesday, just hours after he scored a touchdown in the team’s win over the Denver Broncos.

Turner  Georgia Newspaper Partnership
Georgia Newspaper Partnership
Turner

Turner, 30, of Suwanee, Ga., was booked into the Gwinnett County jail in metro Atlanta just after 5 a.m. Turner spent barely two hours behind bars before he was released on $2,179 bond, jail records showed.

A Gwinnett County police officer pulled over Turner’s black Audi R8 on Interstate 85 northeast of Atlanta after clocking the car at 97 mph — 32 mph over the speed limit, said Cpl. Edwin Ritter, a police spokesman.

“The officer made contact with the driver who identified himself as 30-year-old Michael Turner of the Atlanta Falcons,” Ritter said in a news release. “The officer could smell an odor of alcoholic beverage coming from the driver and proceeded to conduct a DUI investigation.”

Ritter said the officer arrested Turner after a field sobriety test. The police incident report was not immediately available.

Hours before his arrest, Turner and the Falcons celebrated a 27-21 home victory over Payton Manning and the Denver Broncos.

“We are aware of the situation involving Michael and are in the process of gathering more information,” the Falcons said in a statement. “Because this is now a legal matter, the club will have no further comment at this time.”

Turner scored the Falcons’ first touchdown after jumping over a pileup of Atlanta and Denver linemen in the first quarter. It was Turner’s 51st touchdown for the Falcons, a franchise record.

Turner, who played at Northern Illinois during his college career, joined the Falcons in 2008 after four seasons with the San Diego Chargers. Last year, he rushed for 1,340 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Jake
Jake 09/18/12 - 11:47 am
Burner

That speeding ticket is the fastest thing he did because it sure was not running with the football. Is it just me or does he seem to be running in slow motion nowadays. Anyway, great win for the Falcons last night.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 09/18/12 - 12:47 pm
Did he get trashed before or

Did he get trashed before or after the game?

Bubbalicious
Bubbalicious 09/18/12 - 01:07 pm
Duh

If I were a millionaire like Turner I would just pay someone to drive me home if I was out and decided to drink. It would be cheaper than the $2179 bond and fine(s) from his employer.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/18/12 - 01:20 pm
"I would just pay someone to

"I would just pay someone to drive me home if I was out and decided to drink"

I expect he will after this since he is likely to lose his license for a year.

I wager too that kids 16 and over would line up by the thousand to drive him around for FREE just because he is a local sports jock.

Insider Information
Insider Information 09/18/12 - 01:36 pm
He's got dollars, but no

He's got dollars, but no sense.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/18/12 - 05:22 pm
As in

the case of Derek Lowe, an activist judge and/or jury will convict him of aggravated jaywalking. Money talks while the rest of us walk. I don't resent money but I do resent "athletes" recieving preferential treatment from high school all the way through the pros. Their the lindsay lohans of liberal society.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/19/12 - 03:35 am
I agree Jake

After Ryan hands off to him he looks like he's walking to the line of scrimmage.

JRC2024
JRC2024 09/19/12 - 08:07 am
30 years old and still no

30 years old and still no sense.