Soldier sues over SC arrest

CHARLESTON, S.C. — A decorated soldier is suing North Charleston police alleging that his civil rights were violated when he was hit with a stun gun at a traffic stop.

The Post and Courier of Charleston reports the trial of the complaint brought by 28-year-old Brian Knite Yates of Ladson was to have begun this week. It’s been delayed because Yates is overseas with the National Guard.

Yates is black and contends he was illegally arrested in 2008, an allegation the city denies.

An incident report says Yates was pulled over because of loud music. It says Yates was stunned because he turned as though he was returning to his car.

The arresting officer was white. During the past year the NAACP has accused local police of profiling and targeting black drivers.

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/13/12 - 12:22 pm
Right.

Yes, people of certain designated races should always be immune from arrest. Nothing else matters, just the race of the arrested person. Sheeeesh.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/13/12 - 01:24 pm
Maybe

Maybe he was turning toward his car in order to turn the music down so he could hear the officer's questions.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/13/12 - 01:26 pm
Peaceful

North Charleston must be crime free.

In Columbia County we have the grass po-po.

In North Charleston they've got music critics for cops.

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/13/12 - 01:38 pm
Don't be stupid....

If you get pulled over just do what you are told.......if you feel you are not being treated unfairly then file a complaint with the court after the fact. So many people (not sure about this case) get pulled over and want to act arrogant and act the fool instead of just dealing with it like an adult. Then they want to try to sue because they have been hit by a stun gun or thrown to the ground.

toppergem
toppergem 09/13/12 - 02:22 pm
Arrogance goes both ways...

Police can be just as arrogant as the people they stop. It cuts both ways! Some times the police approach individuals like they have a chip on their shoulder too. So let's hope NOBODY is stupid. If you see things are rapidly going down hill...everybody needs to back up, take a deep breath and chill. My advise to all involved is know everything nd everyon is not worth fighting.

billcass
billcass 09/13/12 - 02:56 pm
DWB

I know nothing about the facts of this case, but anyone who doesn't believe that African American males are pulled over for no reason with greater regularity than white males is deluding themselves. I drive a sports car with tinted windows. I was pulled over near Statesboro recently, even though I was going the speed limit. When the cop asked "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I wanted to say "Because you thought I was black?" He looked stunned when he saw a middle aged white guy, so he let me go. If I were a young African American male, I doubt the result would have been the same.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 09/13/12 - 03:57 pm
billcass, I don't get the

billcass, I don't get the correlation between his looking stunned and his asking you the question. I also think you're doing exactly what you're accusing the cop of doing....you're being racist by implying that he is a racist because he pulled you over! Yeah...you see how that works? And, yes, you can be a racist toward another white person.
Saw a funny picture the other day (probably won't do it justice here!) of an oriental man saying that he was proud of being oriental...white guy smiled and said "Good for you, man!"...then a black man saying that he was proud of being black..white guy smiled and said "That's great!"..then a hispanic man saying he was proud of being hispanic..white guy smiled and gave him 2 thumbs up and said "Good for you, man!". At the end, the white guy says he was proud of being white, and the oriental, black, and hispanic men all looked at him unsmiling and with a scowl! The moral of that is that it's ok for others to feel proud of their ethnicity but white people who are proud are racist!!
If there's not enough evidence to prove that the cop was being racist, then the case should be thrown out! The black guy in question should have NEVER turned away from the officer in a way that made the officer think he was leaving. The soldier should've known better.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/13/12 - 05:02 pm
Let's see,

blacks have been given the civil rights act of 1964- the voting rights act of 1965- affirmative action. Let's give them a free pass on all traffic stops. Those sorry Southern White people are are always getting in the way of those poor innocent blacks who commit traffic violations and crimes.

billcass
billcass 09/13/12 - 05:19 pm
JMO

I can only tell you this: I was there. My windows were tinted, and when I rolled down the window, the look of surprise on his face was obvious. Could I be wrong? Maybe. But I don't think so. I have been driving this same car for 8 years, pulled onto many a military installation, and been pulled over more times than I care to admit for speeding. Nobody has ever mentioned my window tinting. Until that day. Did this soldier act improperly? We don't know. All I am saying is that all too often race plays a factor in who gets pulled over and who doesn't.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/13/12 - 05:31 pm
BillCass, I don't get it.

BillCass, I don't get it. White people don't have tinted windows and drive the type car you drive? Are we missing something?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 09/13/12 - 06:42 pm
Don't take just take bill's

Don't take just take bill's anecdotal word for it. Read the empirical literature. He is spot on.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/13/12 - 10:51 pm
@billcass

You are lucky you didn't get pulled over in Richmond County. Our officers have these intensity meters that tell them just how tinted the windows are. If they are too dark, you can get a ticket just for having dark windows. Luckily for you, Statesboro hasn't caught up yet with the tinted window scam.

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/13/12 - 11:04 pm
Black people ARE stereotyped

Black people ARE stereotyped and arrested more often than others. I don't know why people are in denial about that. And yes, sometimes the cops DO have a chip on their shoulder.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 09/13/12 - 11:32 pm
Thumbs up, patty. You are so

Thumbs up, patty. You are so right

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/13/12 - 11:45 pm
Yeah palmetto, again,

Yeah palmetto, again, first-hand experience.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/14/12 - 08:11 am
Patty P, I don't doubt that.

Patty P, I don't doubt that. It's just that Bill Cass didn't put up a good example. LL shows us how foolish the whole idea of tinted windows is however. I guess THEY never heard of people with problems being in sunlight.

Tullie
Tullie 09/14/12 - 09:00 am
Window Tinting

I have my car windows professionally tinted within Ga law. You feel a whole lot more comfortable in the car. Makes a big difference, especially on long trips.

Any driver or passenger with a medical condition that would require any material or glazing to be applied that would violate Georgia law, must have an exemption issued by the Georgia Department of Motor Vehicles.
That takes care of that, they can have darker tint and just keep the paperwork in the car to show the officer in case they are stopped.

Tullie
Tullie 09/14/12 - 09:07 am
As far as Yates

As far as Yates and this article.

The officer did the right thing. He should never have turned. The officer did not know what he was going to do.

brokecollagestudent80
brokecollagestudent80 09/16/12 - 05:44 am
As fas as Yates so if he

As fas as Yates

so if he turned around in a circle and the cop stunned him, would it be right. Really? Why would he run from the cop? LOL this cop is funny.

Tullie
Tullie 09/16/12 - 12:21 pm
brokecollagestudent80

What?

First of all..you need to learn how to spell college.

The officer is not funny. None of this is funny.

People run from from law enforcement officers all the time for a variety of reasons. Even worse they turn to reach for a gun, knife, or no telling what.

You do what an officer tells you to do..plain and simple. Makes it a whole lot easier on everyone.