Scott Peebles endorses Richard Roundtree for Richmond County sheriff

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 9:32 AM
Last updated 4:54 PM

Former Richmond County sheriff’s candidate Capt. Scott Peebles has declared his support for the man who defeated him in the Democratic primary runoff.

Back | Next
Scott Peebles declared his support for Richard Roundtree on Friday. Roundtree defeated Peebles by 447 votes in the Democratic primary runoff for Richmond County sheriff.  ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/FILE
ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/FILE

In a statement issued Friday morning, Peebles said he would be casting his vote for school public safety Lt. Richard Roundtree because the two have similar ideas and philosophies about what the next sheriff needs to do.

“By comparing our campaign platforms, it’s easy to see why I’ve chosen to support Richard Roundtree,” Peebles’ statement said. “Our fundamental ideas regarding the direction of law enforcement are nearly identical. From Community Oriented Policing to a Citizens Advisory Board, Richard and I have a very similar vision, and I look forward to seeing that vision realized.”

Peebles said that since the Aug. 21 runoff, in which Roundtree defeated him by 447 votes, he has been “inundated with calls from supporters who have asked who I’m now supporting in the race for Richmond County Sheriff.”

Peebles said he encouraged other voters to do their own research and decide for themselves whom they should support.

“This is all I will have to say publicly about the race for Sheriff,” the statement said. “No further statements or interviews will be conducted and no further comment will be made.”

Roundtree issued his own statement thanking his former opponent.

“Although the campaign was tough, Scott and I have always worked well together,” the statement said. “As your Sheriff, he and I will continue our efforts to keep our city safe and engage in proactive law enforcement strategies.”

Roundtree said the endorsement was a “step towards healing this community” and urged his supporters to offer their thanks to Peebles and to work toward building a safer community.

When reached by phone, Sheriff Ronnie Strength said he had “nothing to say” about Peebles’ endorsement. Republican candidate Freddie Sanders, who has been endorsed by Strength, said he didn’t expect Peebles’ endorsement to have any effect on the election.

“I just find it strange that they fought with (Roundtree) tooth and nail and tried to get all the Republicans to cross over and vote, and now he has endorsed him,” he said.

Sanders said he had reached out to Peebles after the runoff to encourage him to stay with the sheriff’s office, but he did not make any promises nor did he ask for an endorsement from Peebles.

He said it’s just another example of the adage “politics makes strange bedfellows,” and he holds no ill will toward anyone.

“If Richard wins, good for them, and if he doesn’t then Scott’s fine with me,” he said.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/12 - 11:34 am
Rational Thoughts, heck, I

Rational Thoughts, heck, I thought you, Peebles and officers who supported him were so upset at the election you all were half way to Appling to joing the Columbia County Sheriff's Office. By the way, you shouldn't call him "Richard" anymore if you plan to keep working there.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/12 - 11:36 am
The last thing I heard about

The last thing I heard about Peebles and his supporters is a less than happy post-election party with lots of tears and anger directed at Tree.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/31/12 - 12:16 pm
Poor Scott; can't risk

Poor Scott; can't risk getting fired. Something is definitely wrong with this system. You'll see more of them following suit and all out of fear of losing their jobs.

Richmond County Republicans do not give up. Turn out and cast your votes for Freddie Sanders.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 08/31/12 - 07:00 pm
Was this really necessary ?

Not really because anyone that voted for Peebles, Sanders or Roundtree has already made up their minds. Of the Silas 2400+ votes, many will vote their mind also, knowing the issues this election can cause for Richmond Co.

But what this does tell me is Scott Peebles made this decision knowing full well it would impact any future hope of a political career in Richmond Co. But he did it for Richmond Co. .

MY CORRECTED COMMENTS FOLLOW
I DO NOT AGREE WITH HIM.

Anyone that voted me up please vote me down now that I have read the full updated story and not the 1st posting.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/31/12 - 01:15 pm
Unbelievable that people are

Unbelievable that people are assuming that the motivation behind Peebles' endorsement has anything to do with "protecting his job." He certainly would be a hyprocite to support the other candidate since Roundtree's platform is nearly identical to his. Sanders is the complete flip....if you can even find one...at least a well-articulated one. Sander wants to be sheriff because he's tough on crime...and that's about the only mission he has.

triscuit
triscuit 08/31/12 - 01:27 pm
Sanders tough on crime, you say?

What's wrong with that? Shouldn't every sheriff be that way?

TuffGong
TuffGong 08/31/12 - 01:44 pm
Wow!!

very suprised by this endorsement! i figured Peebles would have just not public endorsed anybody, and see this a another obstacle for Mr. Sanders to overcome...i've heard talk of many Peebles supporters reaching out to Mr. Sanders after Peebles lost...will those people change directions and support their man's endorsement? I've already heard Lewis Blanchard is on board to support Roundtree so this race is def shaping up to be an interesting one. I'm still supporting the most qualified candidate even though people feel like all he's gonna do is push papers and not lead the county in the right direction...but I have faith he will!! Mr. Sanders isn't gonna lead Richmond County in the wrong direction...he loves this County and Department too much to not represent the people the way they deserve. Mr. Sanders get your hiking boots on, your gonna have fight with every inch to reach the mountain top!

PhiloPublius
PhiloPublius 08/31/12 - 01:44 pm
Poor Austin Rhodes, his whole

Poor Austin Rhodes, his whole universe is falling apart in front of his eyes :-(

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/31/12 - 01:48 pm
Oh, I forgot. Another

Oh, I forgot. Another Sanders' talking point is that he grew up in Augusta and loves Augusta that's why he is qualified to be sheriff.
What are your plan, strategies, and goals, Mr. Sanders??

dickworth1
dickworth1 08/31/12 - 02:17 pm
freddie is the man

I intend to vote for freddie and encourage all my friends to do the same. There comes a time when you have to really say to yourself,
the democratic party has done nothing to solve problems and they
keep creating them, so I am voting Republican.

willie7
willie7 08/31/12 - 02:56 pm
Tree will win big because

Tree will win big because many people who didn't support him previously , are joining his team. He also will collect some big dollars too.. The people who didn't want him to be sheriff, will need to get use to the fact that he will be sheriff.
Tree is going to be a great sheriff and the crime in Richmond County will decrease immensely.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 08/31/12 - 03:01 pm
The run-off vs. the general.

During the run-off Roundtree was able to mobilize voters. The question is, will he able to achieve the same result in the general election....It depends on the numbers of people who are motivated on both sides of the aisle...Remember many people who voted for Scott were actually Republicans who took a Democratic ballot.That won't be happening in November.....Republicans are chomping at the bit to rid ourselves and the country of the failure known as Obama, so the turnout on that side should be huge. But remember, Richmond County is majority black, so the question is will more Democrats than Republicans turn up to vote..My gut tells me no. It seems Democrats are not nearly as energized this time around for the general....In my view Sanders stands a pretty good chance of pulling out an upset....But this IS Richmond County, and I'm sure there will be lots of "walking around money" spread out in some of the poorer precincts so it should be interesting....

grinder48
2054
grinder48 08/31/12 - 03:01 pm
Lewis Blanchard

I keep seeeing references to Lewis Blanchard. Who is he and what's the connection being discussed?

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 08/31/12 - 03:38 pm
An Official Connection with the car dealer for votes

If it is true, that Jerry L. Jordan promised a women a car for votes.
The official GA. Campaign Records show a campaign donation from:
Cushena Jordan, DBA Uwanna Ride
Used Cars
PO Box 276
Stapleton, Georgia 30823
Who donated on 08/09/2012, $500.00 to Roundtree campaign.

According to Jordan's MYSPACE Page, he owns the use car lot.
So there is a previous official connection between Jordan and Roundtree, and $$$.

If you want to view the donor lists for Roundtree yourself use:

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/31/12 - 03:44 pm
Not Roundtree...

I've lived here most of my life. I supported Peebles, but I can not in good conscience ever vote for Roundtree. He has a pleasant personality; but it takes more than that. I will be voting for Sanders. Sanders can do the job and do it well.

allhans
allhans 08/31/12 - 03:45 pm
I LOVE this place!!

I LOVE this place!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/12 - 03:51 pm
Waynesboro Group Endorsement

I wonder if Peebles will now get the Waynesboro "Noble" Chapter of officers to back Roundtree?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/12 - 05:14 pm
Roaches in the Raid Factory

Have some people been wrong as a roach in the Raid factory? I heard Chief Sanders really wasn't a candidate and would do what Peebles wanted. I heard Roundtree was the scourge of Augusta who should have been locked up. Now I hear Tree is a pretty good guy. When I had a good idea what Peebles was going to do and kept asking about his endorsement many said I was picking on Peebles. Ha.

If I were Tree I'd watch my back carefully with Peebles, Blanchard and Nicholson. Heck, lie to Peebles and tell him all kinds of stuff for his endorsement. It looks to me like Peebles is lying to you now by giving another one of those "winking that I'm a Democrat" endorsements. This "endorsement" was backhanded. You can't trust him and you know it, Tree.

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/31/12 - 04:36 pm
peebles supporters would not

peebles supporters would not line up behind the man who's platform is more or less a mirror image???

if they weren't behind his platform and ideas for reforming the way the sheriff's dept operated why did they jump parties?

as far as Tree's history... all the skeletons haunting the Augusta politicalsphere would give Bruce Campbell a run for his money (shop smart, shop x-mart)

the sheriff's dept spends a lot of money locking people up for nonviolent victimless crimes.

i look forward to a hearty debate, and will let the muckraking attend to itself (real or fabricated)

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 08/31/12 - 05:23 pm
River(tree)man1

I noticed you bring up Blanchard and Nicholson and Heck a lot.

So would you care to discuss why a criminal trial lawyer is one of the largest Roundtree campaign donors? The same trial lawyer whose own website clearly boasts "The Law Office of _____ primarily practices in the area of criminal defense... " & "We are here to provide vigorous criminal defenses..." It would seem a person running for sheriff would avoid a close financial association with any person whose career is built on doing just the opposite and getting crooks off the hook so to speak.

I also wonder how MADD would feel knowing that a major Campaign Donor/Backer advertises "...the _______ Law Firm has been highly successful representing individuals charged with driving under the influence offenses in both Georgia and South Carolina."

So I guess your complaints about Peebles are some what duplicated now for Roundtree also.

Whatever the case now, the final election we are voting on is between only between Sanders and Roundtree.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/12 - 05:44 pm
Open Curtain, A Strange Post

I'm not sure about your post getting off into criminal lawyers, DUI's and what have you. This article is about Peebles giving his support to Roundtree for the election against Chief Sanders. You think I'M a Tree supporter? Hardly. I would tell Tree not to trust Peebles and this endorsement, however.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 08/31/12 - 05:50 pm
Apologies Riverman1

These posts should never become 1 on 1.
My River(tree)man1 dig was inappropriate.

The point is just like Peebles, Roundtree has major backers that any one would question at face value.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/12 - 06:00 pm
Freddie the gentleman that he is said...

What more can you ask of him.......

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/12 - 06:14 pm
Will November hurry up & get

Will November hurry up & get here..

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/12 - 06:27 pm
One more thingy

I would think the crossover Rep. vote will come back home ......:)

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/31/12 - 07:17 pm
I'm glad to see Peebles

I'm glad to see Peebles support Roundtree. I think with both of their views and input on how to tackle crime and the issues facing youth in Augusta, it might well be a very good thing.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 08/31/12 - 07:17 pm
For the record

The earlier story version initially placed online AC website differed from the Last update @ 4:54 PM.

Therefore I have also updated my own comments to reflect the update.

I cannot and will not support Roundtree for Sheriff.

Ref: the good grass roots story of moving signs around...
I guess Roundtree couldn't find a Georgia Printer, so he outsourced the work.

Campaign Expense Report
=======================
50 ea. 48"x96" signs
Danwal, Inc.
12404 Hwy 155 South
Tyler, TX 75703
For an $2,560.38 Expenditure

allhans
allhans 08/31/12 - 07:43 pm
Sanders, is he the candidate

Sanders, is he the candidate that said the answer to First Friday problems was for the deputies to wear plain clothes?

rebellious
rebellious 08/31/12 - 07:58 pm
I have been out

of town and out of reach of the AC pages.

Scott Peebles sat in front of me......In person.... and said "Roundtree as Sheriff would be devastating to Augusta" And now he endorses him? And the rumor mill says Scott will get a promotion and Lewis Blanchard will be on the RCSD. Folks, your integrity is all you have. You can lose your health, your wealth but integrity lasts. It is what you do when no one is looking. It is how you act out of town, or when the lights are low, or you think no one will find out. This endorsement, lukewarm or not speaks volumes.

And what of the rule that an active employee should not endorse any candidate? Not sure if that is a policy or understanding, but clearly it has been violated. Silas held true to it. Ivey held true to it. SO Scott Peebles is immune to repurcussions?

I am disappointed in him. Not surprised, cause the whispers in the wind alerted me, but just flat out disappointed. This fortifies what I have been told about this man from some zealots, who I heard, but wondered the source of thier Zeal. KSM, I humbly apologize.

I close by admitting I have not read all of the previous 52 posts, but felt impelled to login to this discussion.

SemperParatus
SemperParatus 08/31/12 - 08:10 pm
Quick off topic question

I have a quick off topic question only because my email inquiries to the newspaper have gone unanswered. I am relatively new to posting comments online. What is the significance of the point earning here? I have no clue as to what the "points program" is all about. When I registered my online ID, I don't recall there being any mention of earning points online. Thanks in advance to anyone that can bail me out on this.

Census: Augusta young adults struggling

A new report shows that young adults in the area today are better educated and on average, earn more money than 30 years ago, but are far more likely to be unemployed, unmarried and living with ...