Scott Peebles endorses Richard Roundtree for Richmond County sheriff

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 9:32 AM
Last updated 4:54 PM

Former Richmond County sheriff’s candidate Capt. Scott Peebles has declared his support for the man who defeated him in the Democratic primary runoff.

Back | Next
Scott Peebles declared his support for Richard Roundtree on Friday. Roundtree defeated Peebles by 447 votes in the Democratic primary runoff for Richmond County sheriff.  ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/FILE
ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/FILE

In a statement issued Friday morning, Peebles said he would be casting his vote for school public safety Lt. Richard Roundtree because the two have similar ideas and philosophies about what the next sheriff needs to do.

“By comparing our campaign platforms, it’s easy to see why I’ve chosen to support Richard Roundtree,” Peebles’ statement said. “Our fundamental ideas regarding the direction of law enforcement are nearly identical. From Community Oriented Policing to a Citizens Advisory Board, Richard and I have a very similar vision, and I look forward to seeing that vision realized.”

Peebles said that since the Aug. 21 runoff, in which Roundtree defeated him by 447 votes, he has been “inundated with calls from supporters who have asked who I’m now supporting in the race for Richmond County Sheriff.”

Peebles said he encouraged other voters to do their own research and decide for themselves whom they should support.

“This is all I will have to say publicly about the race for Sheriff,” the statement said. “No further statements or interviews will be conducted and no further comment will be made.”

Roundtree issued his own statement thanking his former opponent.

“Although the campaign was tough, Scott and I have always worked well together,” the statement said. “As your Sheriff, he and I will continue our efforts to keep our city safe and engage in proactive law enforcement strategies.”

Roundtree said the endorsement was a “step towards healing this community” and urged his supporters to offer their thanks to Peebles and to work toward building a safer community.

When reached by phone, Sheriff Ronnie Strength said he had “nothing to say” about Peebles’ endorsement. Republican candidate Freddie Sanders, who has been endorsed by Strength, said he didn’t expect Peebles’ endorsement to have any effect on the election.

“I just find it strange that they fought with (Roundtree) tooth and nail and tried to get all the Republicans to cross over and vote, and now he has endorsed him,” he said.

Sanders said he had reached out to Peebles after the runoff to encourage him to stay with the sheriff’s office, but he did not make any promises nor did he ask for an endorsement from Peebles.

He said it’s just another example of the adage “politics makes strange bedfellows,” and he holds no ill will toward anyone.

“If Richard wins, good for them, and if he doesn’t then Scott’s fine with me,” he said.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/12 - 10:02 am
Heh heh

He said...

Don't think any other comment will be necessary....

Go Freddie Sanders.....right man at the right time!

judgeandjury
judgeandjury 08/31/12 - 10:11 am
Hmmm?

Heck of an endorsement!

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/31/12 - 10:11 am
Just my observation but it

Just my observation but it appears that he's not too enthused about his endorsement. Said what he had to say and then leaves it at that.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 08/31/12 - 10:12 am
Shocked

I must say that I didn't see this coming. This won't make things easier for Freddie Sanders but I still think he can win this thing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/12 - 10:18 am
All I can say is...

If I ever run for any office in the csra ...I hope HE never endorses me .......warm spit ---lackluster---
I would rather have Clint giving his rambling speech...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/12 - 10:23 am
Expect this

You will now see a lot of comments saying...

"I have nothing to say about this endorsement."

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/31/12 - 10:48 am
Maybe Scott is Playing it Smart!

He is trying to keep his job. If Roundtree wins then his "endorsement" couldn't hurt his employment status. If Sanders wins they might have arrangements that we won't ever know about.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/31/12 - 10:49 am
Four horses in a five horse race (-:

Which shell is the pea under, you guess? We would have expected no less from SP. An Obamanite shows his true colors? Now you see why he would not have been an "honest public servant". Politics is a dirty game. And that is a clean way of putting same. And then there are two. And as if it were not inevitable in River City, it is Black vs. White. November is the Demogog's to win and carry the locals with them to victory and a New America. A New America where we talk issues to death and take no responsible action.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/31/12 - 10:50 am
The future of River City will lie in the

Record Department at Roundtree's residents. This will be some victory partee'.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 08/31/12 - 10:52 am
This is just weird. This is

This is just weird. This is the closest thing to a "non endorsement" endorsement, I've ever seen. @Seenit - yes, warm spit...

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 08/31/12 - 11:01 am
Can we say...."I need to keep

Can we say...."I need to keep my job?"

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/12 - 11:01 am
I'll guess Lewis Blanchard

I'll guess Lewis Blanchard will support Tree, too. He will also end up at the RCSO somehow, come heck or high water.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/31/12 - 11:01 am
Job Security

Sweet Son got it right. Peebles likes his salary and obviously would like to keep his job.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/12 - 11:05 am
Deal's Off If This is the Endorsement

If I were Tree and had promised Peebles that he could keep his old job and maybe hire Blanchard, too, if they endorsed me, I'm not sure I'd keep the deal with THIS lukewarm endorsement and refusal to say more.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/12 - 11:05 am
Yep...scratch the ole head

Can't help but wonder......wondering ...wondering if you are wondering too.....like webb pierce sings........
Where will the money backups go now.....wondering-wondering...what cha gonna do.....
Well sylvia will have a good time with this...:)

my.voice
my.voice 08/31/12 - 11:05 am
These comments are completely

These comments are completely without merit. Peebles goes into great detail why he will cast his vote for Roundtree. Peebles neednt worry about a job; he is quality people. His closing statement, which you all seem to be focused on is just his professional way of saying he wont be party to the politics going forward.

Great endorsement Captain Peebles! Your exemplary character shines bright.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/12 - 11:06 am
Remember Peebles comes with

Remember Peebles comes with Blanchard and his money.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/12 - 11:11 am
MyVoice, I don't mind the man

MyVoice, I don't mind the man protecting his job, but it just shows you Roundtree wasn't as bad as some said. I'll also predict Lewis Blanchard will now head a new Reserve Program for Roundtree. But does anyone think Chief Sanders would have fired Peebles? Hardly.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/12 - 11:11 am
Tree needs to be FREE

I just don't see this as helping RTree......he probably will keep most on there anyway.......

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/31/12 - 11:11 am
Heh heh.....kind of hard to

Heh heh.....kind of hard to tell folks to not vote for the guy that, more than likely might be your next boss.

Doesn't exactly sound like very strong endorsement.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we pander to deceive.

There's one man still in the race that is not afraid to be a real sheriff. I think I will disregard Scott Peeble's less than enthusiastic endorsement and instead cast an enthusiastic vote for Freddie Sanders.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/31/12 - 11:16 am
Peebles and Roundtree...

Peebles and Roundtree sitting in a tree,
I like you and you like me;
Two is good, lets make it three,
What can we make this county be?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/12 - 11:18 am
Chief Freddie Sanders against

Chief Freddie Sanders against them ALL now. Blanchard, Nicholson, Peebles and Roundtree v. Chief Freddie Sanders. Sanders' ONLY bigname supporter is now Ronnie Strength. Deke, who are you endorsing? Commissioners? Let's hear it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/12 - 11:22 am
signs

River...I guess sp folks can take his many signs & paint over them & put Rtree on them....save a few bucks.......& I might have to send FS some more $$$ to buy biiig signs to put ALL OVER RICHMOND COUNTY>

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/31/12 - 11:23 am
Downside

There is absolutely no upside for the mayor or the commissioners to endorse a candidate.

greggarn
greggarn 08/31/12 - 11:24 am
Sylvia Cooper please !

Who gives a rat... about what she has to say... as far as I am concerned she can go kick rocks. She tried and tried to hurt his campaign in the beginning and look where it got him.... I'll tell it got him on the ticket in Nov.
She can kick those rocks right of Augusta...who cares !

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/12 - 11:26 am
LL, but Deke and some

LL, but Deke and some Commissioners did endorse previously.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/12 - 11:36 am
Everyone stood up for SP

Why run away now.....btw sylvia sure didn't promote Freddie in any way.....she said more or less he wasn't really a true candidate...but as usual this just goes to show
YOU CAN'T BELIEVE everything you read...

People THINK they know ....but don't know squatt.

countyman
20153
countyman 08/31/12 - 11:56 am
I said this was going to

I said this was going to happen, and it eventually came to past..

rational thought trumps emotion
rational thought trumps emotion 08/31/12 - 12:24 pm
Captain Peebles has clearly

Captain Peebles has clearly stated where his vote will go. With his credentials, he could go anywhere but instead he continues to serve the people of this community and either new Sheriff would want him to stay. If you believe in community policing, accreditation, a citizen’s advisory board and other progressive ideas for moving the agency forward then you can easily see that Richard’s vision and Scott’s vision are very similar in nature. I happen to like both of the men now running for office and want to hear directly what each has to say.

fishman960
fishman960 08/31/12 - 12:24 pm
Stand up

I stood up for Scott and I am still here. Just got done standing on Austin's FB page and will continue to stand up for what I feel is right.
Peebles was my #1 choice, now Sanders is my choice.
It boils down to how many voters will show up to the polls. Freddie has an uphill road, but he can make it if enough people believe in him.