Bulldog Club honors ex-QB Greene tonight

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 10:54 AM
Last updated 1:16 PM

The Greater Augusta Bulldog Club will hold its season kickoff meeting tonight at Julian Smith Casino.

It will feature a tribute to former Bulldogs quarterback David Greene and special guest Loran Smith.

The dinner and reception will begin at 5:30 p.m. The program will start at 6.

Tickets are $25 for adults and $10 for children 12 and under.

They are available at Rick’s Paint and Body, Somewhere In Augusta, Tudor’s Cleaners, Queens­borough Bank locations, Surrey Center Pharmacy or from Bulldog board members.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/23/12 - 04:14 pm
I'd like to take this

I'd like to take this oppurtunity to tell the fine folks at the Greater Augusta Bulldog Club a couple of things....I can't seem to find any other way of contacting them.
................EDITED.........................

I went ahead and deleted most of my post because, after having my questions answered by LemonJello...very clearly, I might add...I didn't want to have any negativety remaining toward Georgia or the local chapter of the Bulldog Club.
Thanks for the explanation and I hope y'all have a great time tonight! My family and I met David at the "Countdown to Kickoff" event in July and he seems like a great guy.
GO DAWGS!!

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/23/12 - 12:53 pm
Greene was great

But, I sure would have liked to see Shockley get one more year.

thomastrish1
thomastrish1 08/23/12 - 02:14 pm
Children 12 and under are

Children 12 and under are $10.00....

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/23/12 - 02:19 pm
Greene was a mediocre

Greene was a mediocre journeyman.

Which is why, in his three seasons on NFL rosters before retiring, he never threw a pass.

LemonJello
LemonJello 08/23/12 - 03:24 pm
"Just My Opinion" - There are

"Just My Opinion" - There are significant overhead expenses that must be met to cover these events. Dinner is included in the price of the ticket, and as thomastrish pointed out, children under 12 get in for $10. The club actually does well to break even on these events and when profits are made, monies are donated to the athletic associations summer camp programs and local children's charities.

Your second issue had nothing to do with the Greater Augusta Bulldog Club. That was a for-profit event by a separate entity. There is no way the Augusta Bulldog Club could inter-mingle with that event. Why? Members of the club are sternly warned by the university athletic association to not put themselves in a situation where prospective student athletes under recruitment could receive contact from boosters. The GABC is an organization of boosters, many of them heavy donors to the program. If contact is made with prospective student athletes, the university can be subjected to hefty fines and possible player suspensions, coaching fines, or probationary periods where the actual team would be limited in scholarships and banned from post-season bowl play. Over the years, these rules and regulations have tightened significantly, and our club is not going to subject itself to harming the team or the athletic association in any way. This also plays into contacting the club itself. Board members must be well versed in how to address and handle these situations as they arise. Membership to the club is granted at the time a person buys a ticket and enters our events. Board members are chosen very carefully.

I hope this answers your questions and concerns.

Board Member....GABC.