Runoff appears likely between Roundtree, Peebles for sheriff

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:12 PM
Last updated 10:48 PM

It appears that Scott Peebles and Richard Roundtree are heading to a runoff for the Democratic nomination for Richmond County sheriff.

With all 77 precincts reporting, Peebles had 13,932 votes (46.63 percent), while Roundtree had 11,725 votes (39.24 percent).

A runoff is scheduled for Aug. 21 if neither gets more than 50 percent of the vote.

On the Republican side, Augusta attorney Freddie Sanders trounced opponent Mike Godowns, getting 76 percent of the vote.

Bacon Grease
Bacon Grease 07/31/12 - 10:24 pm
Thanks for nothing Silas.

Thanks for nothing Silas.

I'm Back Again
I'm Back Again 07/31/12 - 10:31 pm
Dang, somebody got their butt

Dang, somebody got their butt handed to them. lol

crackertroy
crackertroy 07/31/12 - 10:51 pm
Silas

Someone stole his campaign signs. Real intimidating Sheriff, real intimidating. Could you imagine him as sheriff? ......

"Our top local story tonight -- Richmond County Sheriff Robbie Silas is looking for vandals who pooped on his lawn. If you have any information please contact the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at 706-821-1000"

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/31/12 - 10:54 pm
Insensitive folks in the

Insensitive folks in the CSRA.

The1Justice
The1Justice 07/31/12 - 10:56 pm
I thought

I thought Silas was supposed to be a top contender lol silly folks silly should have stayed home as well as Ivey and not split the vote up. So let's hear all of your complaints and excuses from the HUGE Silas fan base now

fishman960
fishman960 07/31/12 - 11:02 pm
Round tree

I personally cannot believe Tree garnered that many votes! Wonder who the political machine behind him was or is.

tealilly
tealilly 07/31/12 - 11:19 pm
Roundtree

FISHMAN : I don't know why you're are trying to figure out who's behind Roundtree. It was expected all along that Roundtree and Peebles would be the top two in the Democratic Run-Off. You just didn't expect Roundtree to get as many votes as he did. I will tell you that the "MAN" behind Roundtree, in front of Roundtree , beside Roundtree, and the"MAN" that keeps Roundtree is a man that some may or may not know depending on how much faith they have. That man is "JESUS" and even you should know him!! Way to go Roundtree!!!

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/31/12 - 11:19 pm
Not complaining nor making

Not complaining nor making excuses at all. Looking forward to August 21 & November as well.

It just got REAL interesting. Lol

fishman960
fishman960 07/31/12 - 11:24 pm
Tree

I did not mean my comment in a derogatory manner. Simply meant that I thought it would be between Peebles and Silas. I do not intend to flame here like some others.

greggarn
greggarn 07/31/12 - 11:26 pm
Way To Go Roundtree

Watch Strength stands up and support Peoples now... what a joke, I guess his wife will let him now.

I am sure Scott is wondering how in the hell Richard stayed in the race the way he did.

The1Justice
The1Justice 07/31/12 - 11:32 pm
Lol

No seriously . People on here said Silas would win. I laughed at his numbers,. Silas should have never ran in the first place.

The1Justice
The1Justice 07/31/12 - 11:35 pm
I maybe wrong

I maybe wrong or maybe right I don't think Strength will throw Support yet . Too much controversy will be going around. Hhe will throw support after the primar runoff.

greggarn
greggarn 07/31/12 - 11:38 pm
Ivey Who

Why did Ivey Run, he never had a chance and I am sure the people that pushed him to run knew that... he was there simply to get in the way of Roundtree but in reality did he ?

The1Justice
The1Justice 07/31/12 - 11:45 pm
The same

The same reason Silas did for publicity and someone randomly telling them they should run. It went to their head from that 1 person telling them that and they thought they could win . It was a waste of screen space when casting your vote if you ask me.

greggarn
greggarn 07/31/12 - 11:48 pm
Justice

I really think people thought Silas could win, however when Ivey spoke I thought what the h.... why would anyone vote for him sorry. But as I said before, he was PUT there to get in Roudtree's way (split the black vote)

augustarookie
augustarookie 07/31/12 - 11:59 pm
Andy for Sheriff

Couldn't we get Sheriff Andy Taylor?

The1Justice
The1Justice 08/01/12 - 12:00 am
Lol

No I don't think he ran to split the votes up. Simply just thought he would gain roundtrees votes because Roundtree had excess bagge that was publicly known. Besides that. Where are all of Silas' 9% of the voters at on here. I thought Silas was going to win, from what all his supporters on here were saying.

Walden
Walden 08/01/12 - 12:02 am
Ivey has long talked of

Ivey has long talked of running for the Sheriff's Office. This was just his first chance. You cant blame anyone for standing up and taking a chance at something he wanted to do. Same with Silas. Peebles and Roundtree put on a good show tonight. Silas and Ivey, they were both in the fight, they just did not have the support. Fortunately people listened to the candidates and not some of the vile stuff that has been put on here.

rebellious
20896
rebellious 08/01/12 - 12:16 am
Newbie Night

Against my better judgement....
On the brghter side, The AC just got 10 or so new users signed up to the comments section. Welcome aboard, don't worry about the low points, they will come if you stay on here. If...

This is the American way. If you think you have support and think you are the best person for a job, then run. It is not an easy thing and should not be entered into lightly. You become open game for criticism, much of which comes from citizens too lazy to vote, much less run for or work behind someone running.

So all you new users slice and dice on this until the wee hours, I'll sit this rookie parade out.

allhans
allhans 08/01/12 - 12:26 am
Why would anyone act

Why would anyone act surprised. from the beginning it was Peebles - with a chance of a runoff against, yep..Roundtree.

And as said before, the winner of this run-off will be our next sheriff.

highorder
highorder 08/01/12 - 12:30 am
Basically this is a no

Basically this is a no brainer. It's long been time for a change...time to break up the "glory boy's" and the Gay micro management tradition and bring forth a real Policeman and not a yes man... God willing. If the right Man wins, there"s gonna be a pile of unemployed two faced yes boy's....A PILE. May the best Man win!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/12 - 12:48 am
I wouldn't be talking bad to

I wouldn't be talking bad to Silas supporters. Add Silas, Ivey and Roundtree votes together and they equal 15974. Peebles is going to have a very difficult time tapping into the other candidates' votes. By the way, remember what I told you would happen with the congressional race and Lee Anderson because of the crossovers? It did.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 08/01/12 - 01:00 am
Wanna BET RM ?

As usual, there is a good bit of political history you seem to be short on. But that is okay...this race should have never happened.

Had Strength told Silas to stay out of it, he would have. He KNEW what was going to happen...and yet...crickets. So...put your money where your mouth is Old Man River...and this time...pay up when you lose.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 08/01/12 - 01:02 am
I mean...

...really.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/12 - 01:07 am
Oh, so you want to make up a

Oh, so you want to make up a bet and say I just lost? Heh.

Did you not like my math counting up the votes or what? I'm hoping for a monumental fed-up-with-Obama turnout happens in November and Freddie Sanders takes it.

Y'all are spending LOTS of money, but that's okay, the Snake Lady crowd has plenty.

HighSociety
HighSociety 08/01/12 - 01:07 am
"Micro-manage", You can

"Micro-manage", You can always spot the ex employee that was ran off for not being able to keep up or handle the high stress job. It's always easier to point blame on others.

Laughingatchu007
Laughingatchu007 08/01/12 - 01:15 am
Your forgetting

River your forgetting that everyone will have a choice between a democratic or republican sheriff in November. I think Peebles will take it in November if he beats Roundtree in few weeks. Did you see the number of votes the republicans got. It didn't compare to the dems. Yes Richmond County is still a majority of democratic voters.

Willow Bailey
20592
Willow Bailey 08/01/12 - 01:20 am
Congrats to Freddie and

Congrats to Freddie and Scott Peebles. Here's to the next round producing a win/win .

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/12 - 01:25 am
Well, the odds are the

Well, the odds are the Democratic candidate will take it in November. Afterall this crazy county votes for every tax there is. But I'm hoping Republicans will turn out in historic numbers to beat Obama and make Freddie sheriff. By the way, Austin, you said Freddie wasn't really going to run. Wrong.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/12 - 01:43 am
I just saw the video where

I just saw the video where Peebles thanked Sam Nicholson and Lewis Blanchard. Nicholson has contributed lots to John Barrow. Getting Lee Anderson to be the candidate due to the crossover votes may be part of his strategy to help Barrow.

Fire closes Broad Street

An early morning fire is closing parts of downtown Broad Street and motorists are advised to avoid the area around Ninth Street.