Motorcyclist dies in Columbia Road crash

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:11 AM
Last updated 8:13 AM

A 52-year-old north Georgia man was killed Thursday when his motorcycle collided with another vehicle on Columbia Road.

According to a statement from Columbia County Sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris, John Paul Heilig, of Jasper, Ga., was riding on Columbia Road about 6:15 p.m. when he turned into the path of an oncoming Chevrolet Tahoe at William Few Parkway.

He was pronounced dead at the scene and there are no charges against the Tahoe driver, Morris said.

fishman960
fishman960 07/27/12 - 07:29 am
no charges

I ride a motorbike. I am very careful to notice the 100 ft ahead of me and anticipate collisions, thereby giving myself an escape route. I have had many near misses.
Having said that, I have noticed a lack of discipline from others when it comes to driving. Running red lights are the biggest risk from other drivers. And texting. There is no reason for drivers not to have their full attention on the road. Inexcusable.
In '87, I was involved in a head on collision with another motorcycle and the other driver died. To this day, I ponder if I did anything wrong and what i could have done to avoid the wreck.
It only takes a second to avoid something that will carry with you the rest of your life.

KSL
KSL 07/27/12 - 09:44 am
Nice to see you, fishman.

Nice to see you, fishman.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/27/12 - 09:48 am
fishman

you are on the wrong page.

May God let the poor man rest in peace and give his family the strength to endure this terrible tragedy.

fishman960
fishman960 07/27/12 - 11:26 am
Insensitivity

I realize that my remarks may have been a little insensitive to this man's life, and I am truly apologetic to his family members. The point I was trying to make is that it could have been me and it only takes a second to have devastation happen to you.
I hope my remarks have not offended anyone and if I have I do apologize to you.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/27/12 - 09:57 pm
My condolences to the family

My condolences to the family and friends.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/28/12 - 01:03 am
RIP, Mr. Heilig.

CONDOLENCES to the Heilig family.

cinder56
cinder56 07/28/12 - 10:12 am
I worked with John at

I worked with John at piedmont and consided him a good friend, He will be missed by family and friends. Rest in peace.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 07/29/12 - 08:21 am
That intersection

is fairly dangerous, as it is. The speed limit is 55MPH and people generally go faster. They need to have a reduced speed limit to 45MPH for the area east and west of the light because there is so much heavy truck traffic during the day. In this case, Mr. Heilig may not have realized how fast the oncoming traffic was going. I make that same left turn every day going home from work and I make myself wait for traffic to clear all the way up to the horizon of the intersection. My condolences to Mr. Heilig's family and friends. Such a tragedy for all involved.