Texts, e-mails to alert Ga. food stamp recipients

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:25 AM
Last updated 7:16 AM

ATLANTA -- Grocery shoppers frustrated by long lines and empty shelves on days when Food Stamps are issued could be getting some relief as the state changes its benefit-payout schedule.

The Department of Human Resources announced Wednesday that, starting next month, it will distribute benefits in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program over a 19-day period each month instead of the current 10 days. Since many Food Stamp beneficiaries rush to the stores shortly after getting their vouchers, spreading the payouts over an extra nine days will reduce the number of people getting their benefits on any given day.

Recipients no longer get actual stamps. Instead, the money is deposited in bank accounts so they can use a check card at stores that accept them.

“Over $250 million per month is distributed in 10 days often leading to store inventory shortages and empty shelves,” said department spokeswoman Ravae Graham.

The new schedule will also help the Food Stamp users.

“Clients often need to re-visit stores in order to purchase needed food items,” she said. “Clients experience long checkout lines due to staffing issues that arise as a result of the 10-day surge in business to stores.”

During the transition, recipients will get their benefits in two parts, half on their traditional date and half on the new one. The total, monthly benefit won’t change.

To help recipients adjust to the new schedule, the department will send text messages to their smartphones or e-mails each time benefits are deposited in their account.

The members of the Georgia Food Industry Association are helping educate Food Stamp recipients who shop in their grocery stores.

“Almost 900,000 Georgians’ receiving SNAP benefits concentrate their sales in a 10 day period causes operational challenges for the grocery industry,” said Kathy Kuzava, president of the association. “Spreading out the benefits will allow grocers to reduce ‘out of stocks’ and provide better service for all of our customers.”

WhatNow
WhatNow 07/12/12 - 06:06 am
You're on food stamps but

You're on food stamps but have a smartphone? Priorities, priorities...

belle
belle 07/12/12 - 06:28 am
Yes Whatnow, there is a Santa Claus

all welfare recipients in Georgia and many other states receive free cell phones and, they are looking to upgrade to smartphones. I know a young woman who as received a Few and shared them with her non-eligible family members.

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/12/12 - 07:13 am
Cutting bills

How about cutting your bills by not having a cell phone and internet! If you can afford those luxuries then you can afford to buy food! By the way, Mr. Jones, shouldn't that read rush to the "stores" and not rush to the "stories"? Just saying:)

scoobynews
scoobynews 07/12/12 - 07:18 am
Thank Goodness! No more long

Thank Goodness! No more long lines with buggies filled to the rim on the first of the month!

fatboyhog
1902
fatboyhog 07/12/12 - 08:09 am
What whatnow said! But, what

What whatnow said! But, what about the reciepients that don't have access to the Internet or text messages? Is the government going to extend those services as a "benefit"?

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 07/12/12 - 08:20 am
Anyone can have a free email

Anyone can have a free email account and access it at your local library.

bdouglas
bdouglas 07/12/12 - 08:20 am
@stillamazed: "Mr. Jones,

@stillamazed: "Mr. Jones, shouldn't that read rush to the "stores" and not rush to the "stories"?"

Such irony, right?!

@fatboyhog: Forgive me if my sarcasm detector wasn't working, but the gov't already DOES subsidize cell phones and internet for 'low income' folks. Comcast: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/comcast-launch-10-internet-l... and LifeLine for phones: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kimkomando/story/2012-06-01/low-i...

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 07/12/12 - 08:20 am
And yes...if you are on food

And yes...if you are on food stamps, you can already get a free cellphone.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 07/12/12 - 08:22 am
rushing to the store to buy

rushing to the store to buy all the shrimp, steak, and crablegs...there's a problem when you get food stamps and have a "smartphone"....oh wait they are not welfare recipiants ainy more they are "CLIENTS" hmmmm beginning to she the transformation the president was talking about transforming welfare queens, parasites, moochers, and leeches on society to "clients" to be served by the working people...basically making life easier for those waiting on a government check and harder for those working to fund those checks///what the state should be doing is eliminating the welfare only for those who are truly in need as well as putting a limit on the time those who are taking can remain on the public dole....hey state and welfare officials you want to make it easy on your "clients" how about going after all of the "babbies-daddies" who make these kids with no intentions on supporting them!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/12/12 - 08:25 am
Cell Phone

If that's true, then I'm really sad, Leslie.

David Parker
David Parker 07/12/12 - 10:39 am
I can't afford a smartphone

I can't afford a smartphone and the po-dunk prepay cell phone I have for emergencies is bleeding me nonetheless.

Why is it the taxpayers' burden to provide cell phones? Food, Shelter, and Clothing and now we're adding Angry Birds?!?!

whatever, we're all going somewhere in a hand-basket.

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/12/12 - 09:30 am
@David parker, I agree, a

@David parker, I agree, a cell phone nor the internet is nessesary for anyone, let alone people who are already getting assistance from tax payers. I agree that everyone needs to be able to call 911 but as far as texting and web searching that is not a nessesity and tax payers should not be burdened with the expense. Like I have said before, the working class bears the burden way to much for these folks that don't want to work and never have worked. I am not heartless, and I know that many people hit on hard times and they shouold be helped to get through, I am talking about the ones who have never tried to work or do better.

beboisme
beboisme 07/12/12 - 09:36 am
I hate to be the one to say

I hate to be the one to say it but everyone here is missing the truth of the matter. The truth is if Martha gets say 1500.00 or more per month in EBT allowance and sells 500.00 of it to Rose for 250.00 cash then Rose has to hurry up and get her 500.00 worth of groceries and get the EBT card back to Martha so Martha can sell another 500.00 worth to Francis. She will have 500.00 left to feed herself and her kids for a month. The prize here is now she can make that new car payment and buy what she wants.That 9 times out of 10 is why grocery stores are out of food and the lines are so long. I worked as an overnight store manager for years and was told by a patron that this was the reason for such big purchases. During that time I first hand saw huge purchases being made and at the end of the transactions the EBT card being handed over to the rightful receipiant of the card. As of yet there is no way to track what is being done to stop this type of abuse because just showing I.D. to prove it's your card doesn't work because the kids often have to go to Subway and grocery stores to feed themselves. Shrimp, steaks,roasts.ribs and other expensive items can also be sold for half of the retail price. Dividing dates of electronic payments are a ridiculous way of covering up the real reason for the long lines with sometimes 2 buggies full of food, at least enough to run a small restuarant. There are even those who have never had a job, who are "looking" for work receive at least 200.00 a month in food allowance. Shocking but true. With all of that being said how can the States fix this Nationwide problem? There has to be a solution to this vast problem.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 07/12/12 - 09:51 am
“Clients experience long

“Clients experience long checkout lines due to staffing issues that arise as a result of the 10-day surge in business to stores"
Who cares if these food stamp recipients have to stand in long lines? They all drive nicer cars and eat a lot better than my family does. If it wasn't for the working families, these people would not stand a chance. They all have Obama Cell phones, drive Obama Motors automobiles, and pretty soon will have Obamacare at our expense.

TheBigBonk
TheBigBonk 07/12/12 - 10:02 am
Why not just have the

Why not just have the "clients" (haha I love that euphemism) go online to order their groceries and then have a representative from the state personally deliver the order to their front door?

happychimer
happychimer 07/12/12 - 10:14 am
Many already have free

Many already have free healthcare at your expense. Obama did not do it.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 07/12/12 - 10:19 am
No...but foodstamp use has

No...but foodstamp use has skyrocketed under Obama. And he attempted to force the states to increase Medicaid...but the SCOTUS slapped him down.

happychimer
happychimer 07/12/12 - 10:55 am
I agree that foodstamp

I agree that foodstamp program is abused and should be fixed to where the ones who need it get it, and those who can work should work and buy their own food. I would much rather feed the needy than to pay for illegal wars that kill our soldiers and innocent people. Get out of all the wars. I am tired of our taxes going to fight wars that we have no business fighting.

David Parker
David Parker 07/12/12 - 11:04 am
answering beboisme: Get off

answering beboisme:

Get off the grid. That's what I'm looking to do. That's the answer for it. If there are no funds to payout the dole, then the dolees get zilch, nada. If we can remove ourselves from the system in a large enough portion, then something will give.

Grow your own food
Own your own piece of land
Work your piece of land
Raise your own livestock
Barter, don't buy

Scrape out a life in what's left of the rural lands and be happy doing it. Let the government and the entitlement gen figure out how to float a boat with no hull. It's not the ideal answer for everyone, just happens to be for me. I don't need Yahoo.com and android apps. I don't need the latest reality series updates. I certainly don't need a Big Mac and fries. Cars and junk are just traps to throw money in.

I'm done

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 07/12/12 - 11:23 am
Happychimer....it's a good

Happychimer....it's a good thing we aren't fighting any illegal wars.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 07/12/12 - 11:25 am
Parker....only problem is

Parker....only problem is that you can't own your own land....you effectivly rent it from the county, because if you don't pay your property tax you can't keep it. Also....if the entitlement people can't get their free stuff by normal means....look for that property tax to go up.

BamaMan
BamaMan 07/12/12 - 12:53 pm
Freeloaders

I have had JUST about all I can stand. I am sick-to-death of paying to feed, clothe, provide every single necessity and non necessity to freeloaders. I am just about ready to STOP paying for it through working and paying taxes. I am ready to QUIT work and let someone take care of MY healthcare, MY food, MY housing, MY cellphone, you name it for a change. That's what it's coming to anyway. Not about color? Hogwash. I'm not going to say what I would really like to...I'd be banned forever. Truth just does not matter. One thing I have learned, just because you're intelligent, does NOT mean you're smart.

Boudreaux
Boudreaux 07/12/12 - 01:18 pm
The real problem is a

The real problem is a $7-$12/hr job would be a cut in pay for a lot of these people. I have a friend, single, 3 kids, who worked as much as possible and by the time insurance, grocerys, day care,clothing, etc., etc. was taken out he had zero, or was in the hole. Now, on several gov't programs and working a few hrs a week, everything is paid for and there's a few bucks left over at the end of the month. What would you do? Things are bad outta whack.

jack2006
jack2006 07/12/12 - 01:18 pm
It's Your Baby too!

Can you explain the trillions of dollars of FOOD AIDE that have gone to other countries for the need or for the natural disaster that have occurred?

Can you tell me that they have the same stipulations as your neighbor of being the recipient?

Can you tell me if that government is actually distributing that FOOD AIDE?

Can you tell me if that government is actually selling it back to the people that are in need?

Can you tell me what house or car they drive or possess?

Can you tell me what nationality they are?

Can you break it down to what their incomes are?

Can you break down how they spent each dime of that FOOD AIDE?

Can you really tell me how they spent that FOOD AIDE that your tax dollars are paying for too?

Why should we feed the WORLD to make them healthy so that they can do whatever they want in return to us?

When you come up with those answers, then you can complain about your neighbors or family members receiving FOOD AIDE.

Yes, you do have a choice. Either you help with solutions to uplift, shut up with the complaining, or get out of the way because HUNGER has no boundaries!

When you have box people into cages, block any tools of them ever getting out, continue to throw freight trains in their path of recovering, refuse to educate, and block mobility, now that you have found yourself with the need to feed, to clothe, and to shelter them and for the nerve of you, you want to grow a wild hair up your REAR about what you have to pay to maintain that Monster that you have created.

Feed Them and Educate Them and let Them go merry on their way in LIFE but when you want to cut, to restrain, and to suppress Them, that’s your Baby for LIFE.

Stop the complaining and Deal with IT and Live with IT!

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 07/12/12 - 01:20 pm
That is why the benefits

That is why the benefits should be cut to no greater than what a minimum wage job would be. It should ALWAYS be better to work. And please don't say that the mininum wage should be raised.....unless you want the unemployment to go even higher.

beboisme
beboisme 07/12/12 - 01:25 pm
David I'd love to get off the

David I'd love to get off the grid as well, but I am trapped like everyone else wanting to be soley dependant on my own livelyhood. In the meanwhile, 'I will gladly pay you tomorrow for a burger today", is the stigma alot of us face today. We're bombarded with credit and scams that drive people further and further into a never ending pool of debt. I agree with you that we think we need all of those things in our lives and we don't. The simpler the better! I wish we could have seen all of this coming at a younger age and have better prepared our lives for the impact that was destin to happen to our economy. The people in the day knew how to barter, knew how to grow vegtables and can them and put away to live off for the next year. They knew how to hunt for and smoke their meat without so much as a spark of electricity. My ex- husbands elderly aunt told me long ago people would eventually suffer from their lack of survival knowledge that begins in a garden. She was right on. I understand exactly where she was coming from now. Now then are you the David Parker who treats my house? If so then I have to say your the best in the biz! I've used your services for 25 years. I haven't seen you in a long time, but I have always had the best techs sent to my house. Hope you can get where you want to be and somehow find room in your pocket for me. I can grow some tomato's!

jack2006
jack2006 07/12/12 - 01:26 pm
Forward Thinking!

What are your plans for the Next Baby Boom Era?

Plans have been placed in motion.

Minimum wages aren’t going to TAME that BEAST!

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/12/12 - 01:43 pm
We are there.

"whatever, we're all going somewhere in a hand-basket"

I'm already in welfare hell. I'm the host and the leeches are sucking me dry. I am buy them smartphones and my wife and I are carrying 7 year old flip phones because I can't afford to upgrade and pay for the data plan. I am eating hamburger than they are using SNAP cards to carry out the steaks, shrimp, and chops. And OUR government is worrying about THEM having to stand in line too long. ARE YOUR KIDDING ME???? And the entitlement crowd just can't understand why I resent them so much. Our government is out of control and this country is upside down in it's thinking. The people who eat the food we buy them, live in the (nice) houses we rent for them, spend the cash we give them, and talk on the phones we buy them are laughing at our stupidity. They are not thanking us for our generosity because they know that we are FORCED to pay for their existence. They are LAUGHING at our stupidity for not seeing what is going on and not doing something about it.

beboisme
beboisme 07/12/12 - 02:04 pm
Dear jack2006. Just who is

Dear jack2006. Just who is being held back from an education,or job? I could point a finger at alot of folks that abuse the system because they were raised to know how to work it. It's not a nationality you speak of it's a race or two, there is a big differance between the two. What is your point? To say one race is denied an education then I am floored at your comment. Everybody in this country is given an education at least through High School and past that there is an unlimited amount of resources available through scholarships and grants. No one is refused and education these days because of color, in fact just the opposite. It's the mindset of who wants to further their education and who doesn't. Why do you think Oprah built a muti-million dollar School in Africa? I'll tell you why, those people desperately want an education where in that country they are denied an education. Without money to pay for elementary school those young people won't get an education.You cannot blame anyone but the people who choose not to get an education in this country. Those day's of a long ago denial of an education are way past conversation. No one is being held captive boxed up in a cage or being denied anything! You can take this to the bank jack," It aint my baby"! I'd also like to add to this by saying there are some countries like Germany who will feed and house the homeless. But it's my understanding that in Germany if you have no housing the Gov. will give you housing and food. But each day the homeless have to go out and earn their right to free housing and food by working to keep the cities clean of trash. Working, what a novel idea. Might work here in the U.S. if the Gov weren't afraid of offending some folks. I'm sorry jack 2006 but your off track with your comments. Re-evaluate your thinking and express your own positive and uplifting ideas for all American citizens to understand. The only thing I got out of your comments is the feeling that you have been denied a number of things, it comes over loud and clear. It's a new day my friend and maybe it's time you fight for yourself to achieve the best of the best, it's all in your desire for self improvement.Good Luck.