Road debris blamed in Ga. child's death

Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:01 AM
Last updated 12:43 PM

ATLANTA — Authorities now say an 8-year-old boy was killed and his mother lost part of an arm when engine parts fell off an oncoming semitrailer and crashed through the windshield of their SUV near downtown Atlanta.

Georgia State Patrol spokesman Gordy Wright said the truck was headed east when parts of its transmission came off and went across the median, striking the west-bound Chevrolet Blazer on Wednesday night.

Wright tells The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that the debris went through the windshield, striking driver Jameka French of Decatur and her son, Cameron Mcilwain, who was in the back seat.

Authorities say French was able to bring her vehicle to a stop near the median wall. The 29-year-old French was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital, where her arm was amputated below the elbow.

Initials reports from the accident mistakenly identified the child as a girl.

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/12/12 - 06:25 am
How horrible......

Prayers to this family, if this was a commercial truck then I would think this company will be in big trouble for not keeping their trucks safe to be on the roads. I have had a close call with something similar to this myself and it was terrifying but in my situation, barrells on the back of the truck came lose and headed straight for me and across the road toward other vehicles, luckily I was able to swerve and miss it and some others were not so lucky.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/12/12 - 08:01 am
It doesn't get any worse that

It doesn't get any worse that this. Just purely wrong place, wrong time. God bless the family, and ease the anguish of the truck driver.

Jane18
Jane18 07/12/12 - 08:23 am
This accident

I agree, anotherday. LORD help everyone involved...............

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/12/12 - 08:24 am
I'm thinking

that this kind of thing happens a lot more often than we hear about. One acquaintance and one longtime friend both died on interstates when a tire flew off an oncoming semi and nailed them through their windshields.

It's perfectly awful that it happened to a child riding exactly where she would be the safest.

GaStang22
GaStang22 07/12/12 - 08:26 am
Horrible Tragedy!

Condolence to the family and Prayers to aide them in their healing.

faithson
faithson 07/12/12 - 12:18 pm
fiat

also knew those of whom you speak... tragic

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/12/12 - 12:43 pm
Really, Faithson?

My friend was killed on I-10 in Florida at least 5 years ago, and my acquaintance died on I-24 in Tennessee more than 25 years ago. That covers a lot of years, but they sure aren't the only two who had that happen to them.

Are these those that you know about?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/12/12 - 01:48 pm
Fiat

A couple, whom my wife knew the husband through work, were killed on I-20 around Lexington. A westbound TT lost an entire wheel and it bounced over the median right into their windshield. It was night, so they never saw it coming.

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.