Aimee Copeland gets free wing to home

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:58 AM
Last updated 8:00 AM

ATLANTA — A Michigan-based builder will construct a wing onto the home of Aimee Copeland, the Georgia woman recently treated in Augusta’s Joseph M. Still Burn Center.

Executives with Pulte Homes of Bloomfield Hills, Mich., say its workers and partners are volunteering to construct the two-story 1,956-square-feet addition to Copeland’s Snellville, Ga., home at no charge to the family. Company officials say the addition, expected to be completed within 40 days, will include a new bedroom, a fitness room for rehabilitation and a study area.

The 24-year-old suffered a deep cut May 1 when she fell from a broken zip-line over a west Georgia river. She then contracted a rare infection called necrotizing fasciitis.

Doctors amputated her leg, foot and both hands. She’s now recovering at a Georgia rehabilitation center.

chascushman
chascushman 07/11/12 - 07:04 am
'A Michigan-based builder

'A Michigan-based builder will construct a wing onto the home of Aimee Copeland'
This is what America is all about.

jasper1
jasper1 07/11/12 - 08:01 am
Curious

Nothing against Aimee or her family but I wonder if this was a poor, black girl who did not come from a prominent family, would there be the same enthusiasm and outpouring of donations and charity. Just asking.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/11/12 - 08:03 am
I think chascushman said all

I think chascushman said all there needs to be said.

David Parker
David Parker 07/11/12 - 08:19 am
jrbfromga
jrbfromga 07/11/12 - 09:07 am
to Jasper1

First, why do you have to inject race into the issue? Second, yes, I am sure there would be the same outpouring of consideration, and probably even more. Shut up!

jasper1
jasper1 07/11/12 - 10:12 am
I would hope so David.

I would hope so David.

jmb578
jmb578 07/11/12 - 11:12 am
In response to Jasper1

Jasper1, really? You have to bring race into this? The Copelands are not a prominent family. Her dad works for Edward Jones Investments. He's not a celebrity or a politician. And to answer your question about a poor black girl...yes she would get help too. Rest assured that Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, the NAACP, the United Negro College Fund and BET would all help. Plus, Barack Obama would pay her mortgage.

texsmoke
texsmoke 07/11/12 - 11:41 am
Great news

I think this is amazing news. But let us be realistic. I know many people at Doctor's Hospital and they said her dad parades her around. They said he waits to make sure as much media is around as possible and gives out private information without Aimee knowing anything about it. Like her nightmares and such. From what I've heard he has been going around saying how much money he will make off book and movie deals. Regardless of that, I'm still thankful Aimee made it and wish her the best in recovery.

All I said above were from people who were around them...I wasn't so I'm just saying what I heard.

texsmoke
texsmoke 07/11/12 - 11:43 am
double

double post

my.voice
my.voice 07/11/12 - 12:02 pm
@texsmoke - Hearsay brother.

@texsmoke - Hearsay brother. Sounds a little like someone's jealous.

I'd parade my kid around too if she had pulled off what shes done. And IF they get a book deal, Im quite sure they have piled up a small mountain of medical bills. This was a nightmare.

Shes a fighter. If you could bottle her will to live you would be a ba-gillionairre.

You go girl.

jasper1
jasper1 07/11/12 - 12:40 pm
jmb578

Sounds like to me, your last comment was a little racist. And no, I am not black. I am sure that is what you were thinking. I am a white, middle class woman. So much for stereotyping right?

David Parker
David Parker 07/11/12 - 02:13 pm
40 days is pretty zippy. I

40 days is pretty zippy. I hope Aimee's Pop is documenting it on film. Like daily film diary of the progress.