New law causes Ga. driver license delays

Friday, July 6, 2012 7:12 AM
Last updated 7:15 AM

ATLANTA — A new requirement for those seeking to get or renew a Georgia driver’s license is causing long lines in some places.

WSB-TV reports that some people waited more than six hours Thursday to renew their licenses in Norcross. WXIA-TV reports that some waited more than five hours at a Department of Driver Services office in Sandy Springs Tuesday.

The new requirements took effect this week. Customers applying for or renewing a driver’s license must go to a Department of Driver Services customer service center in person and present their original identification documents. They have to prove their identity, Social Security number and residential address.

That requirement was already in place for people applying for their first license or ID card. The new rules extend that requirement to renewals and reinstatements.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 07/06/12 - 07:48 am
HAHAHA

And you want the government to take care of your healthcare? What a nightmare!!

bclicious
bclicious 07/06/12 - 07:58 am
This is great news!!!

For several reasons I support this:

1. Right off the bat, this will prevent people from using P.O. Boxes which only deter law enforcement from locating them.

2. I believe this further deters those who might be illegal from renewing their license.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/06/12 - 08:11 am
To "prove one's identity"

To "prove one's identity" what do you do? I heard before it was a birth certificate. Yes? I keep hearing different things are required from various news organizations.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/06/12 - 08:23 am
All Vets need to go get their

All Vets need to go get their free Veterans license that's good until you reach 65 years old. It's unbelievable how many Vets don't know about this.

Frank I
Frank I 07/06/12 - 08:35 am
I agree

Augusta Resident is right.. It only takes a few minutes of your time at the Blue Goose with your 214 and then a quick trip to your DMV and it's good "forever"..

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 07/06/12 - 09:14 am
Verification requirements:

If you go to http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/index.aspx you can see the requirements.

To get a first or first renewal license you have to prove:

- that you are a citizen or a legal resident. That is where the US birth certificate, unexpired passport, green card, etc. comes in.

- you have to prove your Social Security Number, and

- you have to prove that the address you are using is really yours.

If you have all this your new license will have a gold star on it to prove that you are "verified."

If you get your paperwork together and go prepared it will make it much easier.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 07/06/12 - 09:17 am
Good forever, NOT

If you are 64 or older, I think you will find that the new law requires license renewal IN PERSON every 5 years because of the eye test requirement.

allhans
allhans 07/06/12 - 09:18 am
3 ID's to take.

Social Security card, birth certifcate or current passport, utility bill showing your residence.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/06/12 - 09:46 am
Waiting 5 or 6 hours, why?

Waiting 5 or 6 hours, why? If you come prepared shouldn't take but a few minutes. If you aren't prepared, then the attendant should say "NEXT". Keep the line moving.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/06/12 - 10:32 am
The problem with residence requirement

is that many people who live in a home or apartment or hotel or whatever aren't listed on any of the utility bills. How does a person prove they live there unless they have something that has their name associated with their address?

My kids' school IDs don't have their address on it and neither do their birth certificates. They're over 18 but don't yet pay any bills. Do all the credit card solicitations they get count as address verification?

Cestlavie
Cestlavie 07/06/12 - 10:37 am
This is why I renewed mine

This is why I renewed mine before the new law came into effect. I just showed my old license, paid my money,took a picture and went on my way. I'll deal with this five years from now.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/06/12 - 11:05 am
People who rent, etc.

They have to provide a signed and dated Lease Agreement showing that they reside at said address. It is the same thing when you register your child for school and you have to provide evidence that you reside in that school zone.

I know some years back my wallet got stolen and it was a nightmare. I went to DMV and they told me that I had to have a birth certificate to prove that I am who I say I am, and my marriage license to show why my last name is no longer the same as it was on my birth certificate. Marriage license was a piece of cake. Birth Certificate ... not so much!

I went to Vital Statistics and they told me that I had to have a drivers license to prove who I was to be able to get a certified Birth Certificate! WHAT? Catch-22!

It was an amazing thing that took place ... the people at Vital Statistics let me pay my $10.00 fee and gave me a certified Birth Certificate just to SHUT ME UP and GET ME OUT OF THEIR OFFICE!!! lol. Problem solved.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 07/06/12 - 11:56 am
FL:

Proof of Residential Address (You must present 2 of the following):

Utility bill issued within the last sixty (60) days

Bank statement issued within the last sixty (60) days

Currently valid rental contracts and/or receipts for rent payments made within the last sixty (60) days

Employer verification, including, but not limited to, one of the following:
•Paycheck or paycheck stub
•Letter from your employer
•W-2 for current or preceding calendar year

Non-expired Georgia driver's license, permit, or identification card issued to your parent, guardian, spouse or child

Health insurance statement or explanation of benefits for claim

State of Georgia or Federal income tax return for current or preceding calendar year

Annual social security statement for current or preceding calendar year

Medicare or Medicaid statement

School record or transcript for current or preceding calendar year

Homeowners insurance policy or bill for current or preceding calendar year

Mortgage, payment coupon, deed, or property tax bill for current or preceding calendar year

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/06/12 - 01:09 pm
I was just letting vets know

I was just letting vets know about the license. There are hundreds if not thousands of very young vets in Georgia. Many are around 21 or 22. Maybe younger. I assume they want to see you for an eye test at age 65 seeing as how it expires then. Anyway, I don't have to renew for quite a few years from now and it's free. Also, you can renew a motorcycle permit for free and that's due every 6 months.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/06/12 - 01:56 pm
N_L_A,

There are a lot of options, for sure, but they don't really provide two options for some dependents living at home and not in school. If they don't have a job, a bank account or pay any taxes, the only thing on that list, if they managed to let their license expire, is a parent's valid id.

It pretty much forces them to get a bank account or have some verifiable entity send something to them through the mail.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/06/12 - 02:55 pm
it would seem that if a child

it would seem that if a child is living at home, not in school, not working, and needed a renewed driver's license, then wouldn't the parent's income tax return that has an address and listing of child as a dependant work along with the child's social security card?

All this talk, made me check my DL to see when it expires.....still have a couple of years before I need to deal with this.