City employee dies Tuesday while working outside

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 12:49 PM
Last updated 8:04 PM

A city maintenance employee died this morning while working outside the Richmond County sheriff’s office, Coroner Grover Tuten said.

Cedric Singletary was found lying unresponsive on the ground at 401 Walton Way just after 8 a.m., Tuten said. The 34-year-old had been doing lawn work when he collapsed. An ambulance took Singletary to University Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 9:33 a.m., he said.

A city groundskeeper since 2008, Singletary’s survivors include his wife and a 4-month-old child.

His body was sent to Newberry, S.C., where an autopsy has been scheduled.

Comments (14)

Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 07/03/12 - 12:54 pm

I am so sorry to read about

I am so sorry to read about this. My condolences to his family.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/03/12 - 12:56 pm

Deepest sympathy

to the family of our county worker Mr. Cedric Singletary. What a terrible tragedy. May God give comfort to his family and let him rest in peace.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 07/03/12 - 01:01 pm

Condolences

to the family and friends of Mr. Singletary.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/03/12 - 02:10 pm

Just awful. A friend of mine

Just awful. A friend of mine lost an employee the same way a few years back; just collapsed while working outside. It is a brutal day for it; I went out early this morning to talk to someone I had working in the yard and my shirt was soaked in 5 minutes.

bdouglas
bdouglas 07/03/12 - 02:15 pm

Condolences to the family. 34

Condolences to the family. 34 is way too young.

The headline is baiting you to think the heat is to blame, but it was only 80 degrees around 8 am today. Thinking there are underlying issues with this one.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/03/12 - 02:46 pm

bdouglas

The humidity was overwhelming when I was out (0900) even though the actual temps were moderate. One will overheat very quickly in those conditions if they are exerting themselves. No doubt this poor fellow had some underlying medical condition; but dollars to donuts the conditions stressed him.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 07/03/12 - 04:09 pm

It was probably a heart

It was probably a heart condition that he may not have known he had. This is a terrible tragedy, and with a four month old child, that makes it even worse. My condolences go out to his wife and child and his entire family.

KSL
KSL 07/03/12 - 04:10 pm

Very sad.

Very sad.

KSL
KSL 07/03/12 - 08:13 pm

Both of my sons had

Both of my sons had construction jobs the summer after their senior years in high school. They had to get up early, work in the heat doing physical labor. When they got off, their evening challenge was either practice or American Legion baseball games, a lot of times out of town. We didn't make them do it. They wanted to do it. It certainly built character and work ethic. But I did worry about them and the heat, just as I had worried about them during August 2 a day football practices when they were in high school and one while on a college football team. College baseball, the other one, not so much.

OhWell
OhWell 07/03/12 - 09:56 pm

I am praying for Mr.

I am praying for Mr. Singletary's family this is so sad. WRDW is reporting he had a wife and several children and had been working for the city for 2 months and this article says he has been working for the city since 2008 and has a wife and a 4 month old. Which is correct?

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 07/03/12 - 10:34 pm

As I understand it,, Mr.

As I understand it,, Mr. Singletary has worked for Augusta since 2008, but was only in the current position for a couple months.

KSL
KSL 07/03/12 - 11:02 pm

Still want to know why a

Still want to know why a thread with only 11 comments is at thr top of the most discussed list.

allmostgone
allmostgone 07/04/12 - 12:26 pm

Prayers go out to the Family

Prayers go out to the Family and may God be with you.

lady82
lady82 07/30/12 - 09:16 pm

grateful

I am grateful to have known him for the little time I got. I pray that the family will stay strong through this time.God has a purpose on the other side for him and I believe he is and always will be looking down on all of his kids and other family members. You will always be in our hearts

Jaailyn44
Jaailyn44 07/05/12 - 05:23 pm

Bless his heart

Condolences go out to Ced's family and friends! He was a a former co-worker of mine and it's so hard to believe that this young, talented man passed away! He was a great person to know and always had something to say and a smile to give. He was an AWESOME artist too!! He could really draw. Bless his heart. Prayers going up for his kids!!! Woow. Still in amazement!!

Mom arrested after daughter beating

A mother is facing charges after police said she hit her daughter with an extension cord and then made her wear a sweater to hide the injuries.