New law requires 3 IDs for Ga. driver license, renewals

Monday, July 2, 2012 11:03 AM
Last updated 11:06 AM

As many as 750,000 Georgians whose licenses and state identification are up for renewal this year will find themselves trekking to the a state driver’s license office before Dec. 31 with potentially long waits. A new rule requires them to bring documents proving they are who they say they are, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

Susan Sports, spokewoman of the state Department of Driver Services, said the federal government required states to develop a more secure identification in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack. The state has been implementing various changes to licenses and identification cards at different phases. The state has until 2017 to get license holders over age 50 in compliance.

“The majority of customers we have spoken with think it is a small incovenience to do something to increase homeland security,” Sports said. “But there is always a group that doesn’t appreciate the extra trouble.”

Drivers, whether they have lived in Georgia five years or 50 years, will have to bring an original or certified birth certificate, social security card and proof of where they live.

An unexpired passport can substitute for a birth certificate. Power bills or bank statements can be used to prove residency at an address. For a complete list acceptable documents, go to the DDS website at http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/index.aspx

museofsatie
museofsatie 07/02/12 - 11:47 am
Texas requires you to bring a

Texas requires you to bring a birth certificate, social security card, and proof of address, as well. It was quite surprising (and inconvenient) for me to find that out after I'd moved last year. Luckily, I was able to order a copy of my birth certificate from Richmond County online.

Edward1968
Edward1968 07/02/12 - 11:57 am
Not Required if.....

The three IDs are not required if you're an illegal, right??

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 07/02/12 - 12:22 pm
If they can't provide a photo

If they can't provide a photo ID for voting, how are they going to produce three documents proving their identity. This is the stupidity at it's finest, and the people it most affects are the honest people. An illegal alien driving a car is the least of my worries. Of course there are othe ramifications to worry about, such as driving without insurance, among other things. But I don't see how this law will stop that.

cheapster505
cheapster505 07/02/12 - 12:38 pm
drivers

for all the yelling about immigation Illegal this is an example of sTATES RIGHTS the Federal gov't should stay out of STATES driver lic
just as the STATES should stay out of the Feds ILLEGAL debate Driver Lic where are the REPUBLICANS on this issue? where are the DEMS ?
awful quiet while another RIGHT is taken away The federal Gov't the biggest extortionist and this July $ remember your RIGHTS are like and Iceberg and global warming slowly melting away next time someone says fighting dying for your freedoms ask which ones?

cheapster505
cheapster505 07/02/12 - 12:44 pm
Stay off my rights

so the federal Gov't can tell a State what to require for a drivers lic
But a State can't take measusures to make sure your a Legal immigrant? I think that fence is meant to keep US in not them out

allhans
allhans 07/02/12 - 04:03 pm
A driver's test would be more

A driver's test would be more in order.
I don't mind showing the documents if they are required. I have everything listed including a passport, BUT I sure don't want to stand in line.

allhans
allhans 07/02/12 - 04:15 pm
How many will be driving with

How many will be driving with no license now? If they can't come up with proper ID to vote, then they are in deep..do..with this law.

This should stop the FEDs from harassing Florida and other states about the voter ID..why hasn't it been used?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/02/12 - 04:36 pm
How Often?

Surely you would only have to bring these three proofs one time and not every time you renew?!

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 07/02/12 - 05:51 pm
At first when I read this I

At first when I read this I was upset and thinking it was ridiculous, especially for those of us over 50 who have been driving for 40 years. Then I realized this will be a great way to weed out the illegals and other undesirables from both driving and VOTING. I guess we know that Obama won't be retiring to Georgia and applying for a drivers license! LOL

draksig
draksig 07/02/12 - 06:27 pm
With it now harder to get a

With it now harder to get a license issued or renewed, won't that be enough for the justice department to get Georgia's voter ID law thrown out? If my memory serves me, the main reason it was upheld was it was so easy to get ID.

KSL
KSL 07/02/12 - 08:25 pm
All that to get a driver's

All that to get a driver's license. So why do the dems fear voter ID?

KSL
KSL 07/02/12 - 08:29 pm
Why not the same complaint

Why not the same complaint that it is making it to hard for people to get driver's licenses? After all, they might need to drive to get to their job, where they could earn money and hopefully pay taxes like the rest of us.

happychimer
happychimer 07/02/12 - 08:39 pm
Many voters in Florida were

Many voters in Florida were purged fron the voting lists because when they got their drivers license they were not US citizens. They got their citizenship and then were taken off voter lists. Going by drivers license is not reliable. Some are removed just because they have a Latino surname.My sister-in-law was purged from voter list in California. she raised such a fuss that they allowed her to register again and vote right there. They ask her where she was born. she flipped. she was born in Savannah,GA, and her married surname is a Latino name.

happychimer
happychimer 07/02/12 - 08:45 pm
The new law requires those 3

The new law requires those 3 documents to renew license.I think that means everytime you renew

KSL
KSL 07/02/12 - 08:53 pm
No problem. She got to vote.

No problem. She got to vote. Strange that it happened in that state.

allhans
allhans 07/02/12 - 10:19 pm
Purging is necessary. All of

Purging is necessary. All of us have computers and I have no doubt that we all purge files fairly often. The whole thing is making a mountain out of a molehill. Every voting precinct has a means of voting if you are eligible...The poll manager will make sure everybody has a chance.

KSL
KSL 07/02/12 - 11:15 pm
And that begs the question as

And that begs the question as to why the Feds would object. But I think we know the answer.

madgerman
madgerman 07/03/12 - 06:50 am
Don't you just love it when

Don't you just love it when government agencys have no real excuse for the ridiculous changes, affecting all of us, and simply revert to statement like “The majority of customers we have spoken with think it is a small incovenience to do something to increase homeland security". I am waiting for the same lame excuse when they start the new ID program for entry to Fort Gordon which should cause the largest traffic jam in CSRA history. But, don't get mad, it will all be in the name of "homeland Security".

madgerman
madgerman 07/03/12 - 06:55 am
I almost forgot. Why did

I almost forgot. Why did they come up with three and not five or seven or twenty? If I was aterrorist and wanted to make an fake ID then it really dosen't matter what or how many documents are required, I would make them all. Just how important is possesion of a Georgia Drivers License in the master plan of terrorism?

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 07/03/12 - 06:56 am
Not to be used for identification purposes

My SSN card clearly states that it is not to be used for identification purposes. So, why am I required to use it for identification purposes?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/03/12 - 07:53 am
Try Again?

Draksig posted:

Try as I might, I cannot discern the logic or the point of this post.

allmostgone
allmostgone 07/03/12 - 09:53 am
Just one more step to

Just one more step to Communism, Is everyone forgetting that they have your picture in their files already? Watch the price go up. Government should be more worried about our Southern Boarders instead of Harassing American Tax Payers. It's the systems Greed and Stupidity that they give Licenses to illegals not us. Only in Americana,THIS COUNTRY HAS GONE TO H!!L IN A HAND BASKET.

allmostgone
allmostgone 07/03/12 - 10:05 am
The Government don't have a

The Government don't have a clue of what they are doing,They changed the Law a few years back to stamp out fraud with a price increase claiming it is full proof and look now!Watch and you will see another full proof increase and on top of that get ready to give up your bang bangs to. Only illegals in this country will be carrying bang bangs. AGAIN FOOLS NEED TO WAKE UP OR GET READY FOR A ALL OUT REVOLUTIONARY WAR BETWEEN AMERICANS AND THE GOVERNMENT IT'S COMING FASTER THAN WE REALIZE.

allmostgone
allmostgone 07/03/12 - 10:18 am
Looks like the utility

Looks like the utility company's and the Government is pulling together just like SC to boost the utilities businesses. Big Corporates and the Greedy Politicians win again LMAO

allhans
allhans 07/03/12 - 10:45 am
For those of us over 50, SS

For those of us over 50, SS numbers are on file. Several years ago drivers license # was the SS#..that was changed and a new number issued but I hear that the bar code on the back contains the old number (?).