UGA's Crowell dismissed from team

Friday, June 29, 2012 10:29 AM
Last updated 10:18 PM

ATHENS, Ga. — Georgia sophomore tailback Isaiah Crowell has been dismissed from the team, according to a news release late this afternoon from the school.

“We have a dedicated and committed group of men who are working hard to prepare for the coming season,” Georgia head coach Mark Richt said. “Our total focus will be directed toward the team and this effort.”

Crowell started seven games in 2011 and rushed for 850 yards on 185 carries.

Authorities arrested Crowell early this morning on weapons charges at a police checkpoint near the University of Georgia campus.

Police booked the 19-year-old into jail at 3:37 a.m. on two felony charges — possession of a weapon in a school zone and possession of a firearm with an altered identification — and the misdemeanor charge of carrying a concealed firearm, according to a Clarke County Jail booking report.

Athens-Clarke police said Crowell was arrested at about 2:20 a.m. at the vehicle checkpoint, when an officer smelled an odor of marijuana inside his car.

The officer found a 9mm Luger pistol under the driver’s seat with an altered serial number, according to police

An Athens-Clarke County Magistrate Court judge granted Crowell a $6,000 bond this morning and placed him on a 10 p.m. curfew.

Crowell was ranked the country’s No. 1 running back and No. 4 prospect overall by ESPN Recruiting in 2011, but he had a rocky first season with the Bulldogs last year.

The sophomore ran 195 times for 850 yards with five touchdowns as a freshman, but was dogged by disciplinary problems throughout the summer.

He was benched for the first quarter of the Vanderbilt matchup in October, and sat out the entire game against New Mexico State the following month after reportedly failing a drug test.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/29/12 - 09:37 am
Trouble

He just needs to go. Total distraction from the start.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/29/12 - 09:50 am
Yes, he has been trouble and

Yes, he has been trouble and has showed a bad attitude since he got there. The next time we hear about him he'll be playing for a small black school.

obkad
obkad 06/29/12 - 10:01 am
too bad

I think college football should follow the three strikes and your out rule. This is the third offense, he should go, but Georgia won't let him go as he is the only thing Georgia has going for it.....this kid is trouble and setting an example of what should be done will make all the other "thugs" realize it's time to get their act together. I can see one mistake and possibly two, depending on issues, but repeated stupid mistakes must be rewarded with repeated releases.........

billcass
billcass 06/29/12 - 10:12 am
Wow.

This is indeed very sad. I am not a UGA fan, but I hate to see this happen to the school and to this young man. But the racist comment above is clearly uncalled for. You have no idea of this kid's upbringing. Unless you can see the plank in your own eye, don't remove the speck from your neighbor's.

raul
raul 06/29/12 - 10:25 am
@billcass. Gee bill, you are

@billcass. Gee bill, you are right. He could have been raised in a lovely gated community and gone to the best prep schools. However, possession of a weapon in a school zone and possession of a firearm with an altered identification — and the misdemeanor charge of carrying a concealed firearm is thug behavior. Sorry if I'm not PC. I'm sure Sean will send me an abuse warning if he deems my comments out of bounds.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/29/12 - 10:28 am
Pick a first-half

of any "gimme" game, crowell will be suspended. As an "athlete", a judge will turn all charges into misdemeanors. Georgia will re-instate him to full athletic scholarship and beg him not to get them into anymore trouble. It's not only Georgia but Arkansas, Auburn, Oregon, Southern Cal, Michigan, Ohio State et al. Lawyers and judges continue to coddle Criminals disguised as "student-athletes". Always has been, always will be.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 06/29/12 - 10:29 am
Hammer time!

Hooo-eeeee! This boy's in trouble!

I see Richt handing out a two game suspension for this........minimum!!

He'll be on the bench for the Buffalo and Florida Atlantic games.

Yes sireee! That'll learn him!

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/29/12 - 10:31 am
Hey raul

Are you under the impression that UGA was the only school recruiting Crowell? How are schools suppose to predict how kids will respond to the new found freedon that comes with the college environment? Get real. This problem isn't unique to UGA.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/29/12 - 10:33 am
June

Do they start football practice this early? Or is he perhaps strenghening his academic record by taking a summer calculus class?

raul
raul 06/29/12 - 10:43 am
@JTF. True. Not unique to

@JTF. True. Not unique to UGA, but they do seem to have more than their share of disciplinary problems with players. I'm a UGA fan. To me, behavior like this just cheapens the image of the school. As you said, time for him to go.

David Parker
David Parker 06/29/12 - 10:47 am
If he is convicted, he'll

If he is convicted, he'll never step on Sanford soil again. If he's acquitted or charges dismissed, it's anybody's call.

billcass
billcass 06/29/12 - 10:47 am
Not PC

Just racist. If you can't see that, its sad.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/29/12 - 10:48 am
raul

We'll just have to disagree. We hear about the UGA players. It happens everywhere. The most important thing is opportunity that Crowell has apparently thrown away.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/29/12 - 10:57 am
Anybody remember

o.j. "the slasher" simpson? He ran with a cut here and a slash there. All-American I believe.

raul
raul 06/29/12 - 11:01 am
@JTF. Not sure what we

@JTF. Not sure what we disagree about? I agreed, it's not unique to UGA. And you are right again, it is disappointing that these kids throw away an educational opportunity woth 100K or more. Anywho, have a good day.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/29/12 - 11:09 am
If a

white male "commits" a felony, as a student-athlete or else, it appears to be quite "normal" to berate him for any "misdeeds". If a black male "commits" a felony, as a student-athlete or else, he must be handled with "kid" gloves or some offended ethnic group or groups will use the "secret sauce" of racism to display their outrage. Rarely have I witnessed self-condemnation by the offended groups for misdeeds perpetrated by their own ethnicity. By virtue of having stated that, I'm certain Black groups will call me a racist and bigot. This is a two bladed sword.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/29/12 - 11:34 am
Send Him Packing!!!

Not only should this rogue be convicted of the criminal activity the University should end their relationship and give the "free ride" scholarship to a deserving young man who wants to excel in academics and football! He has already proven last season that he is not good at the college level! Bye, bye Crowell!!

wise ole man
wise ole man 06/29/12 - 11:51 am
He should have to pay back

He should have to pay back his scholarship money he wasted last year. He is not worthy of wearing any jersey from any school. Watched him last year- get hit and then sit on the sidelines! I hopeno other announcer ever compares him to Hershel Walker again. He doesn't deserve to be in the same locker room Hershel was in. It takes more to be an athlete than running ability and Crow-ell doesn't and has never had it!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/29/12 - 11:55 am
"He just needs to go"

TO JAIL! Where little ______ like him belong.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/29/12 - 12:00 pm
"Just racist." Sorry my

"Just racist."

Sorry my friend, clearly you do not understand the definition of racist.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/29/12 - 12:02 pm
BillCass, I don't know if

BillCass, I don't know if you are referring to my post as being racist, but it's certainly not. In reality many players who get in trouble at big schools go play for smaller black schools because they don't have to sit out and so on. Just reality. I'm sure white trouble makers at big schools end up in small schools too.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/29/12 - 12:42 pm
Sanford Stadium

I was reading David Parker's post and thinking about the trial date. Crowell's attorneys could use stalling tactics and the trial on these felonies would take place well after the 2012 season and the bowl games are over. I'm sure he'll be on the field this season.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/29/12 - 01:21 pm
Think so LL?

I bet you your favorite adult beverage he won't. I would like to believe that Mark Richt, the University, and the Bulldog Nation won't stand for it.

I will be deeply disappointed if I am wrong.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/29/12 - 01:49 pm
Nope, he won't play again for UGA

He won't play for UGA.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/29/12 - 02:13 pm
College athletics is not much

College athletics is not much more than total hypocrisy anyway. The academic standards for college athletes is non-existent. It's is a total joke that they are actually posed to us as college students. I'm not saying all of them, just many of them. And when they hand this guy his gimmee degree I am sure some of you staunch team supporters proudly point to him as a felon alumnus...err...fellow alumnus.

David Parker
David Parker 06/29/12 - 02:32 pm
walking and quackin like a duck

Had he not had such troubles last year, CMR may have given him a pass until the trial. Now, I don't think they want to guess wrong and look like idgits, so I'm betting he applies at a smaller Florida or Alabama School soon.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/29/12 - 03:01 pm
First off, I have to say that

First off, I have to say that I am impressed that we're not reading a bunch of "UGA = Thug U" type of comments here! This could truly have happened at any school...and it does. I hate that this has happened to Crowell, but he did it himself...it was his car, so he's responsible, even though he's denying that the gun was his and that he knew it was there (he apparently waived his Miranda Rights and spoke openly with the police at the scene). One of the boys that was in the car with him has a grandfather who is a bail bondsman, so he certainly should know not to be involved with some criminal..yet there he was, in the car. I have no idea if Crowell is guilty or not...we just have to wait and see. Looks like it to me, though. Somebody earlier mentioned something that was VERY true...this guy was so highly rated coming out of high school that he had dozens of schools offering him scholarships. Richt HAD to land him to help make the recruiting class stellar. Did Richt know he was like this and recruited him any way?? If he knew (I doubt it) and didn't go after him full tilt, Richt would've still been criticized, right? If another school got him, does anyone really think Crowell wouldn't have been in a mess there also? I really, really want to believe that Crowell will somehow get out of this and be proven innocent. I just won't hold my breath on it.

billcass
billcass 06/29/12 - 03:15 pm
My comment

Was not directed at Riverman. It was directed at Raul's initial comment, which appears to have been removed, probably because it was racist.

HighSociety
HighSociety 06/29/12 - 04:32 pm
Crowell has been trouble

Crowell has been trouble since he showed up. The thug life he has decided to live has caught up with him. This doesn't surprise me at all. He never had enough heart to make it in the SEC.
Alot of football programs go through this, but we don't hear about it in our area.
UGA fans don't worry there are many RB's waiting in line that will be much better. GO DAWGS!

userone
userone 06/29/12 - 04:46 pm
NOT A UGA FAn

UGA is sorry anyway. They have not done anything in a long time. The only news the football team gets is when a player is arrested.

Kettle donations rise in 2014