Two killed in afternoon crash on Bobby Jones Expressway

Thursday, June 28, 2012 2:25 PM
Last updated 10:06 PM

Two people were killed and one was in critical condition after a crash Thursday afternoon on Bobby Jones Expressway.

Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Randy Prickett said two vehicles, a 1998 Dodge Neon and a 1995 Mazda pickup, had pulled into the emergency lane of eastbound Bobby Jones near Gordon Highway.

The vehicles’ three male occupants were standing at the rear of the pickup adjusting furniture in the truck bed when the crash took place at 1:19 p.m.

Witnesses told deputies an eastbound 2012 Nissan Sentra drifted out of its lane and hit all three men as they stood at the rear of the pickup.

Richmond County Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen said two of the men were pronounced dead at the scene.

Their names were not being released Thursday night.

Deputy Coroner Johnny McDonald said both men’s fathers, who were notified, needed additional time to notify extended-family members.

The names could be released today.

The bodies were sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s crime lab in Atlanta for autopsies, McDonald said.

The third man, identified as 48-year-old Matt Taylor, was at Medical College of Georgia Hospital in critical but stable condition Thursday night.

The Sentra’s driver, Lydia Martin, 61, of Washington, D.C.,
was treated for injuries that were not considered life-threatening.

Prickett said Martin might have been asleep at the wheel when the crash occurred.

Martin is facing charges of failure to maintain lane and two counts of second-degree homicide by vehicle.

specialist
specialist 06/28/12 - 02:40 pm
Bobby Jones Expressway

Augustas own speedway. Not even safe enough for the RC Sheriffs department to patrol and make stops without putting their life in jeopardy. Too bad we cant do like the Germans and have cameras monitoring the traffic. My condolences to the victims families.

tanbaby
tanbaby 06/28/12 - 03:57 pm
i was out there in all that

i was out there in all that mess. i quickly moved over into the right lane to get off at gordon hwy...there were cars coming up in the emergency lane trying to get ahead of everyone...it makes me ill to think that people do stupid "stuff" like that..and there were cops everywhere too.....idiots...

allhans
allhans 06/28/12 - 04:19 pm
Really...The emergency

Really...The emergency lane?
...Didn't the driver of the third car realize that the cars were stopped. Didn't he see the three people standing by the side of the road? Probably not concentrating.
Another unnecessary tragedy.

pommom38
pommom38 06/28/12 - 04:40 pm
Every road is a *speedway*

Bobby Jones, Riverwatch, Hwy 56, list goes on and on around here.
Everyone (well almost everyone) rushing like the place they're going to won't be there when they arrive. Makes me downright SICK at how rude and careless some drivers are.
Prayers going out to the families of those involved.

Jake
Jake 06/28/12 - 06:49 pm
You're right pommom

Rude drivers who always have the "me first" attitude by zigging in and out and doing more idiotic things are the real problem. I am all for keeping traffic moving but some folks are just downright idiots.

happychimer
happychimer 06/28/12 - 06:59 pm
Another news source gives a

Another news source gives a little different story, but 2 died and 1 in critical condirtion.

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 06/28/12 - 07:13 pm
I agree also that everyone

I agree also that everyone these days are always in a hurry and think they are professional race car drivers.Idiots driving slow in the fast lane and seems only the older crowd uses blinkers anymore , by God please don't let that red light get you! Speed up like everyone else does. Its really a shame police dont write tickets anymore for these violations. I agree, sounds like a cell phone was involved.When will Ga. make it illegal to use a cell phone while driving? New Jersey has a $200.00 fine for using a cell phone while driving and you never see anyone talking while driving. No one is so important they can't wait and chat later about nothing and you all know I am probably talking about you.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/28/12 - 07:25 pm
Hometown in Kansas taps cell

Hometown in Kansas taps cell phone users for $500.00! Life should be worth more. Kick it up to $1000.00 for talking, and $3000.00 for texting! That would slow it down a bit!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/28/12 - 08:13 pm
Got that right Sargebaby!

And if their cell record shows they were on their phone in any capacity during or immediately prior to a fatal accident they cause, then charge them with manslaughter because of reckless endangerment (if Georgia has that kind of statute).

The worst people on the road, right up there with drunk drivers, are drivers using cell phones.

(How ya' doin', buddy?)

griff6035
griff6035 06/28/12 - 08:40 pm
Just came down I-20 from Conyers,

It seems to happen up there every thirty minutes. Sorry someone had to Die.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/28/12 - 09:49 pm
My condolences, first, to all

My condolences, first, to all of the families of these men and also to the driver of the other vehicle and her family.

cozzster
cozzster 06/29/12 - 04:30 am
lol just another day driving

lol just another day driving in the south where no one knows how to drive...

GaStang22
GaStang22 06/29/12 - 05:42 am
Condolences to the families

Condolences to the families of the victims and prayers for Mr. Taylor's recovery.

GaStang22
GaStang22 06/29/12 - 05:51 am
Honestly, do you guys really

Honestly, do you guys really think fines will stop or even slow cell usage while driving? Look at the thousands dui's cost.... the money doesn't bother these people. Not enough to keep them from getting multiple dui's. Rarely does one learn their lesson or learn to care about people other than themselves. Hurting and killing people doesn't stop most of them. High speeding tickets don't stop speeders, losing your license stops none of the criminals. You know the old saying "locks only keep honest people honest" Thats what it will boil down to with any inconsiderate selfish jerk driver actions.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/29/12 - 06:00 am
It appears this article has

It appears this article has been updated since all these previous post and it appears that neither speed or a cell phone was the cause but lack of sleep may have been. My condolences to these families and I pray that God will also be with this elderly woman. I do not think mentally I could handle taking the life of two possibly three young men. My prayer is that this young man that is still in critical condition, improves and another family does not have to suffer the lost of a child.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/29/12 - 07:30 am
To many speeders!

This wreck may not have been caused by speeding or a cell phone but there are way to many many speeders and cell phone users around this area and they must know that not alot of patroling happens. Every morning on Jimmy Dyess the traffic is problably clicking between 70-75mph, some faster it angers me because I am transporting my 2 year old twin grand children, trying to be careful and others are not. It is the same on Bobby Jones and Gordon HWY. They need to start enforcing traffic laws in RC and CC. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the families who lost thier loved ones and to the gentleman who is in the hospital.

wsm141
wsm141 06/29/12 - 07:56 am
This is gona tick people off but I don't care

I have driven all over the US from Northeast to the southwest, southeast to the Northwest and several countries in Europe! The one common denominator in all places are the "I am the only person on the road attitudes" of drivers who consistently travel in the passing lanes! Furthermore these same jackasses will not "
speed up" to pass someone then move over, god forbid! No they will ride along either just ahead directly beside or just behind someone in the travel lane thus blocking traffic flow which in turn creates rage drivers and the so called zig zaggers! These are the people who should receive the 1000 to 3000 dollar fines! I can't tell you how many times I've been on the road travelling along and come up on someone of which I move over to pass only to have them move over also and just sit and ride never passing anyone. There is a tactic Fighter Pilots use called Situational Awareness which means know your surroundings. I practice this daily while driving. Which coincendentally is taught by drivers ed to frequently scan your mirrors. By doing this simple task traffic flow can be easily managed without all of these problems. Oh another thing that burns me up is you watch someone in your mirror for miles that chase you down rather quickly only to sit in your blind spot and not pass until you have to slow down to keep from hitting the person in front that you could have passed easily but waited to let this one pass so "the flow" is not interupted! Ok off my soap box !

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/29/12 - 08:04 am
We are not responsible for

We are not responsible for another's rage, they are.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/29/12 - 08:13 am
Whattaya Gonna Do?

Here's my recent experience about cell phones. I was travelling on Stevens Creek Rd. and was going to turn right into the ugly medical building at Riverwatch. They have a deceleration right turn only lane for turning right. It was dusk and as I entered the deceleration lane I had to slam on brakes for a car completely stopped in the lane. As I carefully merged left back into the traffic lane to get around the car I found the driver talking on a cell phone. After my quick stop at the medical building I came back out and the car and driver were gone (i.e., no mechanical brakedown).

So what's a driver to do? Sure, she pulled over and stopped to make her cell phone call. But she pulled over into an actual lane, not an emergency lane. Which is worse?

allhans
allhans 06/29/12 - 10:10 am
I am assuming that the police

I am assuming that the police confiscated her cell phone? .
It was 1;19 PM, not the middle of the night.

belle
belle 06/29/12 - 11:56 am
61 is "elderly"?

Boy, am I in trouble!!

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 06/29/12 - 09:50 pm
Why does RCSO and CCSO do something?

I see a bunch of people complaining about the continuous speeding... and I AGREE with everyone of them. My question is 'Why' do we not crack down on speeding? Just put motorcycle cops on i-2o between Belair Road and Riverwatch Parkway exits and you will collect in fines enough to keep at least four officers out there all day long. I see the speeding every day ... seven days per week!!!

Equaltreatmentforall
Equaltreatmentforall 06/29/12 - 10:48 pm
What a sad, needless tragedy.

What a sad, needless tragedy. My heart and prayers goes out to the families of the men who lost their lives and also to the driver of the car.

GaStang22
GaStang22 07/03/12 - 07:37 am
"We are not responsible for another's rage, they are."

True... but when you are the contributing factor, knowingly trying to set off a jerk with rage issues and an innocent person or maybe even a child is hurt or killed because of it.... would one still be as bullheaded and proud of trying to "police" the streets when you didn't bother to go get a badge and training?? So both parties are dangerous and immature drivers.

GaStang22
GaStang22 07/03/12 - 07:58 am
They have done studies and

They have done studies and say sleep deprived driving is about the same a drunk driving at certain levels of each. From there to here, your talking 10 hours. Intentions may have been good but the outcome was deadly. Yes some causes are worse than others, but with anything other than an unpreventable mechanical malfunction, act of God, or unpreventable medical emergency, one has to expect people to be upset. Prayers to all the suffering families.