Free summer lunches for Ga. children

Thursday, June 28, 2012 7:07 AM
Last updated 7:18 AM

ATLANTA — The U.S. Department of Agriculture is offering Georgia parents free summer lunches for their children.

Parents should text the word “FoodGA” to 877-877 and enter their address when prompted. The system will send information on the three nearest locations. Parents can also call 2-1-1, the United Way’s helpline, for site locations.

Many summer meals sites also offer fun learning and recreational activities. Meals are free to children ages 18 and younger, and food served follows USDA nutrition guidelines. Sites include schools, churches, community centers and other places safe for children.

Officials say nearly 60 percent of children enrolled in Georgia public schools are eligible for free or reduced lunch, but only 15 percent of them participate in summer meal programs, meaning many often go hungry during the season.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/28/12 - 07:02 am
Wrong

This program is just wrong on so many levels. Our young people will never get ahead as long as they are being taxed to feed other people's children. I ache for the lives of misery facing our next generation who have to pay for these boneheaded government programs run amok.

janfmy9
janfmy9 06/28/12 - 07:43 am
Children

Lamb you must not have children. I remember when my children were younger there were programs that fed the kids at lunch time and they also had other activities my children enjoyed them and looked forward to it each day. If I had to pay taxes for my children to enjoy themselves that's ok and I don't see anything wrong with supporting the children because we do it for other people that don't deserve our tax dollars. And by the way I worked everyday and still do and also did other activities with my children so it wasn't because they were deprived of having other enjoyments at home they just enjoyed something different.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/28/12 - 08:11 am
janfmy9

Your post speaks for your self only!

fiscallyresponsible
fiscallyresponsible 06/28/12 - 08:17 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but

No one wants to deny food to children, but this program is redundant. And its aimed at doing exactly what Little Lamb pointed out in so many words - enslaving our nation to the government - both the welfare users AND the taxpayers who are working to take care of every one else's lifestyle choices.

Any parent who accepts this food should receive less in food stamp money each month because their kids are getting fed elsewhere.

Between the free obamaphones, energy bill pay programs, free housing, free medical care, free food, welfare/spending money and Lord only knows what else, eventually these folks will make $70,000 per year just sitting on butt every single day. Why work?!!!!!

Their only job is to go vote about once a year for people who keep shoving goodies their way.

This must stop. If you pay taxes, you should have no vote. That would slow this nonsense down or just about stop it in its tracks.

This nation needs serious reform of government AND of our citizens.

iLove
iLove 06/28/12 - 08:37 am
Wrong

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these parents already get food stamps to feed their kids?"

60% of the GA public school population on food stamps???

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/28/12 - 08:35 am
Wrong--iLove

How are you so sure?

iLove
iLove 06/28/12 - 08:40 am
Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/28/12 - 08:48 am
iLove

I don't know. Two things, don't answer a question with a question and don't post a web site to prove your point. I don't read them.

ralphinga
ralphinga 06/28/12 - 09:52 am
....for those who don't do theirown research...:-)

Categorically eligible children are those children automatically eligible for free meal benefits because they, or any household member, receive benefits under Assistance Programs or those children who are designated as members of Other Source Categorically Eligible Programs. An individual child’s eligibility under any of the Other Source Categorically Eligible Programs does not convey to other children in the household.

iLove
iLove 06/28/12 - 10:11 am
How do you know?

That's the name of my subject. It was not DIRECTED towards you...like I am saying..."well, how do you know then?" Moreso to answer your question of "How do you know?"

iLove
iLove 06/28/12 - 10:17 am
We shall perish for the lack of knowledge...

"...and don't post a web site to prove your point. I don't read them."

It is actually a manual which happens to be POSTED online....get with the times dude! :)

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/28/12 - 10:32 am
iLove

Thanks for clearing that up. My mistake, or my bad. I am outta hear. I can't keep up with you, dude.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/28/12 - 10:36 am
Hell, it is our money. Just give it away!

Tax dollars wasted!!! No one will perish if they miss one meal a day. I am like some of the others in wondering what happens to the food stamp money. You know that the children who are elidgeble for the free lunch already have access to food stamps. I guess the stamps are being changed for cash in the underground bank so that the parents can buy drugs, alcohol and you know they have to have smokes. It would seem that the food stamps could be used to buy lunch making materials at home but free lunch and free childcare and free transportation just are too good to pass up!

fiscallyresponsible
fiscallyresponsible 06/28/12 - 10:38 am
ilove & food stamps

If 60% of GA children get free or reduced lunch, yes, then they are on food stamps.

Instead of defending this statistic you should be stunned & shocked that there are so many people mooching off the taxpayers.

corgimom
corgimom 06/28/12 - 11:17 am
Here's the way food stamps

Here's the way food stamps work.

Once a child turns 5, the amount of food stamps a parent or guardian receives is based upon the premise that they will receive free or reduced lunch at school. Food stamps never cover the entire cost of feeding a child. And I am surprised at the number of people that think that it does.

Children who are malnourished get sick. They get very sick. And sick children grow up to be sick adults.

So what's better- feed them now, or pay out thousands and thousands for the rest of their life? What's cheaper? What's better for everybody?

It amazes me that people could be so callous, not to mention so short-sighted, that they would want children to go hungry.

Speaking as someone who has gone hungry- it's terrible. I'm not talking missing a meal here and there, I'm talking about long-term.

And it is very obvious that many on here have never experienced that. Once you do, you feel very differently about it.

gmt
gmt 06/28/12 - 02:51 pm
All children qualify

There is no requirements to get the free meals other than being 18 or younger and going to the location where the meals are served.

Summer Meals Programs Details:

Meals are FREE to children and teens ages 18 and younger who come to a summer meals sites

Free summer meals will help families save money and stretch their already tight food budgets

Food served at summer meal sites follows USDA nutrition guidelines and are paid for by the USDA

Summer meals sites are at safe places for kids to go such as schools, churches, community centers and other places that are safe for kids and teens to go to

May sites offer educational and recreational activities that kids of all ages can participate in so they can eat, hang out with friends and take part in activities offered

Parents don’t need to apply to the program to get a free summer meal for their kids. They can simply bring their child to a summer meals site in their community and their kids can enjoy it without the hassle of having to fill out an application.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/28/12 - 07:24 pm
Question?

Who is paying for all the food that is given out Free.....

There is something real familiar with that question.

raul
raul 06/28/12 - 08:40 pm
@CobaltGeorge. Ha. Ha. I

@CobaltGeorge. Ha. Ha. I think we know the answer to that question. Nothing is free.

Hey folks, if you can't afford to feed your youngin's, quit cranking them out. Birth control is free too! (But I don't mind paying as a taxpayer)