Government

More News | | | Editor

Obama tugs open peach state pocketbooks

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 12:00 PM
Last updated 7:41 PM

ATLANTA -- President Obama used a fundraiser in a swanky, downtown hotel Tuesday as an opportunity to blast Republican challenger Mitt Romney for moving jobs overseas when he headed Bain Capital.

Back | Next
  AP
AP

Noting a recent Washington Post story highlighting Romney's firm's outsourcing of jobs, the president said, "We don't need someone in the White House who is a pioneer in offshoring."

He said Romney's plan included tax cuts for the rich and cuts in regulatory protections for polluters and cuts in vital government services.

On the other hand, the Obama approach, he said, includes having the rich "do more," increased spending on infrastructure and education and replacing oil-company incentives with ones for renewable-energy firms.

"I've got a vision that says the way we're going to grow our economy is to put people back to work," he said.

Obama might not be targeting Georgia as a potential vote source in November, but he has no hesitation tapping it as a cash source to fund ads in the states he could win. His campaign has acknowledged it plans to focus voter-persuasion efforts on other states like Ohio, Iowa and Virginia that began airing Tuesday.

Still, the president shows he values the state for what political donors can do for him. He pulled at least $250,000 from the 500 or so people attending.

With only one statewide candidate on the ballot and a record low number of contenders in down-ballot races, Georgia Democrats have few places to put their campaign donations this election.

The Democrats here aren't giving much to their state party so far this year. Disclosures filed with the state show expenses are more than income, and Georgia Republicans brought in three times as much with roughly the same outgo.

None of what Obama raised Tuesday for his own campaign goes to the state party, according to Eric Gray, spokesman for the Democratic Party of Georgia.

While he isn't enriching the local party, he did indulge his personal interests. He made a visit to the filming of a biography of Jackie Robinson, "42," on location in downtown Atlanta. The man who broke the political color barrier was curious about the man who broke the baseball -- and in many senses, the cultural color barrier.

Georgia Republicans said the side trip showed the president is out of touch with Georgians.

"Instead of focusing on his role as President of the United States of America, the campaigner-in-chief has opted time after time to rub elbows with Hollywood celebrities and deep-pocketed donors," said GOP Chairwoman Sue Everhart.

Romney's campaign pointed out that Obama's Atlanta sojourn came on the release of the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price index that identified the city as the only one with a double-digit decline. "While President Obama promised to solve the housing crisis, his policies simply have not worked, and that is why Georgians are looking for a new vision and a new direction," said Chris Walker, spokesman for the Romney campaign.

cheapster505
cheapster505 06/26/12 - 12:12 pm
fundraiser

and they say the economy isn't doing so hot ???? where does this come from???? no wonder no one is hiring all the wages are going to Fundraisers "You can save on wages taxes health care cost overtime just send US the check you'd give to some employee and you get to write the WHOLE thing off and save on YOUR taxes"

cheapster505
cheapster505 06/26/12 - 12:12 pm
fundraiser

cheapster505
cheapster505 06/26/12 - 12:18 pm
fund raiser

raise 3 million yet the cost is borne by re election committee
Plane ? security? Hotel FOOD etc not paid for by Taxpayers no wonder always on fundraisers both parties no matter who wins election

Insider Information
Insider Information 06/26/12 - 12:43 pm
What does the average person

What does the average person pay in federal taxes?

And, how many taxpayers does it take to fund the president's "four-state campaign trip"?

Couldn't the president at least pretend to be in Atlanta on official presidential business?

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/26/12 - 01:19 pm
Tip

Do you suppose he left a tip for the hard working staff at The Varsity?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 06/26/12 - 01:29 pm
I guess he didn't take

I guess he didn't take Michelle to the Varsity? Her campaign for nutrition and better food selection wouldn't play well there. Love to see her order a fried peach pie.....

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/26/12 - 01:51 pm
Oh I hope not HCWK. One

Oh I hope not HCWK. One order of those onion rings and they might want to shut the place down. Greasy but soooo good!

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 06/26/12 - 01:58 pm
Retract This Article

Or rewrite it so that there is no mention of the Varsity. I'm on a diet and I'm about to throw it all away, fill the tank, and drive my tail to Midtown and get me a Varsity meal!

I'll send the receipts to the AC.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/26/12 - 02:12 pm
DMPerry.....let the stench of

DMPerry.....let the stench of socialism wear off before you go.....then maybe the craving will be gone.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 06/26/12 - 02:30 pm
Leslie

That was pretty funny!

resident
resident 06/26/12 - 05:23 pm
Twisted situation

I do not like outsourcing at all but here is a thought.....SHUT UP ALREADY!!!! Did they ever think that perhaps if this is what your competition is doing you kind of have to follow suite liking it or not because the american people will not take pay or benefit reductions....just look at the FED gov't and how much waste in pensions for employess that did not even contribute to it or do not want to pay a little more due to extra costs....

Insider Information
Insider Information 06/26/12 - 05:45 pm
Hmmm... outsource a few jobs

Hmmm... outsource a few jobs to save the entire company or outsource no jobs and lose the entire company.

Tough choice.

KSL
KSL 06/26/12 - 06:35 pm
How much of Obama's stimulus

How much of Obama's stimulus money has been outsourced? He has a lot of nerve complaining about Romney. I despise what that man is doing and saying.

Jake
Jake 06/26/12 - 06:39 pm
Suckers

There are suckers born every minute and most of them are Democrats and Republicans.

KSL
KSL 06/26/12 - 09:02 pm
How much of GM is outsourced

How much of GM is outsourced to China? Loan guarantees to Brazil to drill offshore, while denying our companies permits? Investments in green energy conerns that are no longer in business several years later? I could spend the rest of the night pointing out the failings to the American people of the foreigner in the WH. I say that even if he was born in Hawaii. All you have to do is look at the various people who reared him and mentored him.

KSL
KSL 06/26/12 - 10:10 pm
What is the thumbs down for.

What is the thumbs down for. You don't agree with my outing your precious o for dissing Romney when he has done the same thing, but with taxpayers money. You do pay taxes? Or was it that I qestioned those who influenced him. No matter. Both are well known and provable. Your TD is welcomed.

And believe it or not, I have empathy for you when the day comes that you are counting on help from zero's policies and it won't be there. At least I know it is coming.

allhans
allhans 06/26/12 - 10:18 pm
KSL..Well stated!

KSL..Well stated!

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/26/12 - 10:22 pm
and those of us outside the

and those of us outside the red-blue left-right this way or that way paradigm... well. i need a drink. ya'll make me nervous.

KSL
KSL 06/26/12 - 10:24 pm
The low of the lowest. Our

The low of the lowest. Our chief joker incharge was not even on the vote collecting trail at taxpayer expense. It was fund raising at taxpayer expense. Hey dems, if he can do it without a peep out of you, you don't deserve to be able to complain about a member of the other party doing it. But then, for now we still have that free speechy thing. Who knows what will be in the next executive order?

KSL
KSL 06/26/12 - 10:40 pm
omnom

My father was a liberal but Constitutional attorney. He influenced me to think for myself. He is twirling in his grave over the occupant in the WH. A democrat, he had no use for Jimmy Carter, probably because he was in a position to be so well versed in high end GA politics.

He meaning my father.

What is the latest on Carter critcizing Obama? I read a lot and heard a lot today. That was one item.

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/26/12 - 10:45 pm
I'm not counting on Obama or

I'm not counting on Obama or Romney to pull America back on course to greatness. I count on myself, my family, my friends, and my faith.

They're both bought and owned by the bankers.

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/26/12 - 10:47 pm
I can dig ya KSL. Independent

I can dig ya KSL. Independent thinkers are a rare breed. And our country is direly lacking in them.

KSL
KSL 06/26/12 - 11:26 pm
Omnomnon

Thank you, Om. Counting on yourself is what I have always been taught. Could have bought a new car every year for the last 15 years we paid for our health insurance. I don't think I will ever get over a landed left winger (inherited) poster here who no longer needed to work claiming that I was "sickenly self-sufficient" as if taking care of your needs was some sort of misdeed. It was posted here.

KSL
KSL 06/26/12 - 11:17 pm
Oh, that health insurance

Oh, that health insurance payment may well have been higher than our Fed income taxes.

allhans
allhans 06/27/12 - 09:29 am
He will probably visit

He will probably visit Atlanta again in the near future. He bounds onto the stage, a big grin on his mouth, not his eyes, and the adoring crowd goes wild.
NO mstter how dire things are....

It does make me wonder how so many can be welfare in GA.

twolane
twolane 06/27/12 - 01:07 pm
like the billions of dollars chevy r&r plant in china eh

just like Government motors is building a state of the art research and developement plant in CHINA.....