Based on suggestions in website comments, Facebook comments, petitions and online polls, we've created a list of the 10 most recommended names for the combined Augusta State and Georgia Health Sciences universities. Scroll down to find out how the voting from the Augusta Chronicle Facebook page turned out as of Wednesday morning
The choices were:
--George Walton University
--Georgia Arts & Medicine University (Georgia A&M)
--Georgia Arts & Sciences University (or a variation)
--Georgia Southeastern University
--University of Augusta
--University of Georgia – Augusta
--William Few University
A few notes on the poll:
1) The list was arranged alphabetically because many commenters expressed concern the order was chosen to favor certain names over others.
2) Facebook polls only allow 10 options, so we had to make some tough choices.
3) Southeastern University was a popular choice, but it already exists in Lakeland, Florida.
4) Sorry to the many fans of James Brown Downtown College of Good Knowledge, but we did not think administrators would give it serious consideration.
5) There were many supporters of variations of Georgia Arts & Sciences University (GSAU, GUAS, GUSA), but we chose one to represent the four since we could only list 10 names.
6) We trimmed Augusta Arsenal University and Nobel University from the list because they received far less support than the other four committee-submitted choices in our original poll.