Construction worker dies at Richmond County Career Technical Magnet School site

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:00 PM
Last updated Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Follow Latest News

A 33-year-old man working at the construction site for the Richmond County Career Technical Magnet School was electrocuted Wednesday afternoon.

Jevon Maloy, of Bonaire, Ga., was pronounced dead at 3:27 p.m. at Medical College of Georgia Hospital, said Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen.

Co-workers attempted to resuscitate Maloy at the scene before emergency workers arrived, Bowen said.

According to Richmond County dispatch, an ambulance and the fire department responded to the site behind Augusta Tech Drive at 2:49 p.m.

Maloy was a temporary electrical worker who worked at the site for three days, Bowen said. He was standing on a ladder performing work in the ceiling when he was electrocuted and fell to the ground.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration will investigate, said Richmond County School System spokeswoman Carol Rountree. The school system plans to release a statement.

An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday morning in Augusta, Bowen said.

The magnet school is being built on the Augusta Technical College campus and is scheduled for completion in August, although some school board members have raised concerns that the opening could be delayed.

Comments (11) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
crackertroy
540
Points
crackertroy 06/13/12 - 07:40 pm
6
0
Very tragic. Electricians are
Unpublished

Very tragic. Electricians are some of the bravest souls on earth. Like a police officer, a soldier, a firefighter, they face deadly dangers every day. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family

Craig Spinks
817
Points
Craig Spinks 06/13/12 - 07:58 pm
6
0
RIP, Mr. Maloy.

Condolences to his family.

InChristLove
22481
Points
InChristLove 06/13/12 - 08:21 pm
4
0
So sad. One of the first

So sad. One of the first things that hit me is that this man could be a father or some father's son and with Father Day approaching, it's not going to be a happy one. My prayers are with this man's family.

itsanotherday1
45610
Points
itsanotherday1 06/13/12 - 08:37 pm
4
0
Sad indeed; there but for the

Sad indeed; there but for the grace of God go I. I was an apprentice in mid '73 when I got on 277 V in the ceiling due to sloppy work of the guy who made up the box. I fell off the ladder and away from the live wire, else I would have met the same fate. Fortunately I landed on my feet and fell down from there.

Heartfelt condolences to his family.

faithson
5275
Points
faithson 06/13/12 - 09:16 pm
2
2
power on

Working 'hot' wires is a no-no... interesting to see who missed that one.

scgator
1042
Points
scgator 06/13/12 - 09:25 pm
4
0
This is so tragic; however,

This is so tragic; however, please take my post as a warning, not a criticism of the incident or the worker. As a retired electrical contractor in South Carolina......way too many times have I witnessed, even experienced workers "assuming" that a wire or connection was not "live", or attempting to save time, or simply do not want to go all the way back to the electrical panel to double check if a breaker is off. There is NEVER any excuse valid enough for not verifying that a circuit is off. Everyone that I ever trained, was told to check the connection with a meter at the work point, because even though the breaker is off, someone may have wired the circuit wrong and it may not really be off. Again, this is such a tragedy, my heart simply wants to reaffirm to others...NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING WITH ELECTRICAL WORK. The price you might have to pay is way to high. YOU are worth a lot more than a short cut, or an assumption.

Robert martin
55
Points
Robert martin 06/13/12 - 09:29 pm
2
0
worker dies

SO SAD AND VERY TRAGIC MY

Prayers are with his family

itsanotherday1
45610
Points
itsanotherday1 06/13/12 - 10:12 pm
4
0
For the record gator, the

For the record gator, the circuit I was connecting was dead. Whomever tied in another circuit in that junction box had used a wire nut on solid wire instead of a scotch-lok. As I was making up the dead junction, the wire nut fell off of the live junction and I touched it with the heel of my had. It went though my hand and out my belly to the steel grid the ceiling tile was in. Lucky enough I fell, ripping out that corner of ceiling.
I did learn my lesson however when I smoked a perfectly good pair of Klein's pliers when I took the word of my journeyman that a 220 line was dead. Ball of fire, and a gaping hole in the cutting blade. After that I took no man's word for a dead line.

scgator
1042
Points
scgator 06/13/12 - 10:18 pm
2
0
I understand; what I am

I understand; what I am alluding to is that today, there are many homeowner's and DIY'ers who will purchase a "How To" book or ask a few questions and as a result, put themselves and others in harms way. You are very right, I too, have been victim of previous poor quality work; as I said before, I am not picking on anybody, just reminding everyone that electricity is nothing to side step safety or common sense on...............

HighSociety
1840
Points
HighSociety 06/13/12 - 11:54 pm
3
0
Very tragic. Condolence to

Very tragic. Condolence to the family.

I will attempt just about any DIY project around the house, but wouldn't even consider fooling with electric work. That's the time to call someone who knows what their doing.

curly123053
4995
Points
curly123053 06/14/12 - 08:01 am
0
0
My prayers are with the

My prayers are with the family and coworkers of this man. I know it was traumatic to have to administer CPR and try to save their coworker. I also pray that they find out exactly how and why this happened as a learning tool to keep it from happening again.

itsanotherday1
45610
Points
itsanotherday1 06/14/12 - 12:23 pm
1
0
Indeed Curly

Since the good ol days when I was doing some of this work, a ton of safety regulations have been imposed to guard against this type of tragic accident. I too hope they pinpoint where the system broke down and correct it if it was a procedural failure.

Back to Top

Search Augusta jobs