Man fatally shot in hospital parking deck near Atlanta

Friday, June 8, 2012 7:25 AM
Last updated 6:56 PM

SANDY SPRINGS, Ga. — Police are seeking the gunman of a 19-year-old man who was fatally wounded outside Northside Hospital.

Melvin Vernell III was shot multiple times in a car parked on the second level of a parking deck near the hospital on Thursday. Vernell was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead a short time later.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports a motive for the shooting was not known. Witnesses told investigators they saw at least one suspect running from the parking deck toward a nearby street.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/08/12 - 08:09 am
Shootings

Some were shot at a funeral near Stone Mountain yesterday....the killings never stop......crazy world.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/08/12 - 08:28 am
Those Bad Bad Guns, they will

Those Bad Bad Guns, they will never stop shooting!

Jane18
Jane18 06/08/12 - 09:48 am
Sandy Springs, Northside

Sandy Springs, Northside Hospital...once two very safe and nice places. Sometime I think that, just like Wash.,DC, the city of Atlanta and surrounding areas should disappear into a deep, dark hole! Every day something bad happens, and will continue to do so. It will never change, too many hoodlums(of every sort).................

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/09/12 - 03:57 pm
AutumnLeaves

Bantana: I used to live not far from Highland Avenue in Augusta and ALWAYS locked my doors even when I was still in my own yard as well as in the house. If I were you, and there had been one stolen car, half a dozen stolen lawn mowers and/or leaf blowers and twice a year car break-ins in my neighborhood in Atlanta, despite a neighborhood watch program, I would be very concerned about my and my family's security, because in Augusta those crimes were precursors of more theft, more people with uncouth, foul-mouthed and obscenity-laced language, harassment and vandals, home invasions, blatant drug-trafficking, substance abuse problems etc. No, I would be locking my doors, putting up fences with locking gates, and any other safety measures I could think of, including locking my doors, or MOVING, if I were living in your Atlanta neighborhood. It only takes one of those "angry cretins" you described to cause permanent damage. Don't make it easy for criminals to access your home.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 06/08/12 - 12:23 pm
lil phat the "famous rapper"

lil phat the "famous rapper" DEAD.....culture, culture, culture of violence....nuff said

Robert martin
Robert martin 06/14/12 - 06:24 pm
shot in a hospital

Hope he is okay and doing well

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.