2 morning wrecks disrupt Columbia County commute

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:25 AM
Last updated 5:03 PM

Two wrecks occurred within minutes of each other Wednesday morning in the Greenbrier area of Evans. The second wreck temporarily closed Washington Road.

The first took place about 8:30 a.m. at Washington Road and William Few Parkway, according to emergency radio traffic.

Just before 9 a.m., a second wreck occurred on Washington Road at Tubman Road. Martin Alan Dowden, 21, of Mill Creek Drive in Clark’s Hill, S.C., was driving his Pontiac east when he tried to avoid two cars merging into traffic, Columbia County sheriff’s Deputy Keith Warner said.

Dowden locked up the brakes on his car, lost control and spun into oncoming traffic. Dowden’s car was hit on the passenger side by a Chevrolet Cavalier driven by Larry Kevin Fields, 43, of Lakeview Drive in Grovetown, Warner said. Firefighters extricated Fields from his car.

Dowden and Fields were taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, Warner said. Dowden was not cited but was found at fault for the wreck for failing to maintain lane.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/06/12 - 10:52 am
Soapy????

How about cell phones, GPS systems, screaming kids????? There are so many things that distract drivers now days, the list is almost endless. As far as the signs, I don't think they will ever do away with those but I do agree they are distracting, don't know what caused these wrecks though.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/06/12 - 11:38 am
Got that right!

Still Amazed, re: cell phones. People seem to forget they are even driving when they get on the phone. They don't stay in their own lanes, they don't drive with traffic and they generally don't seem aware of anything but their conversation.

I loathe drivers on cell phones, even if they're doctors! Pull the heck over and stop endangering everybody around you!

(Ok, ok. No more ranting.)

whyme
whyme 06/06/12 - 12:20 pm
???

Those were some random comments about the above article-nothing was said about distractions of the kind mentioned. I realize that people use this forum as a socialization site so perhaps you all were just making your thoughts known about driving in general...

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/06/12 - 01:17 pm
So what?

I believe I adequately acknowledged that my comment was a rant. But, again, with emphasis, this forum is just the place for idle and non-malignant speculation, such as the above.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/06/12 - 03:43 pm
@whyme

I was responding to soapys comment but I also stated that I did not know what caused the accidents this morning. @Fiat_lux, I do agree with you about cell phones, some, not all people cannot drive and talk on a phone. I have had people pull out in front of me talking on phones, I was rear ended by someone on a phone, people driving all over the line while on a phone, it is out of control here, so all of these distractions do cause accidents. I don't know if any of that was the case this morning the rain and wet roads could have been a factor. Who knows, just glad everyone was ok. By the way, Ft Gordon has a no cell phone policy while drving on base and people ignore the crap out of it......