Washington Road pedestrian killed this morning

Sunday, June 3, 2012 6:50 AM
Last updated 6:31 PM
  • Follow Metro

A 42-year-old Augusta man has been identified as the pedestrian killed this morning on Washington Road near Interstate 20.

Michael Egan Goetz, of Hephzibah, died of blunt force trauma and was pronounced dead at the scene at 1:50 a.m., according to a news statement from Kenneth Boose, deputy coroner. The death took place in the 2900 block of Washington Road.

The pedestrian was found at fault for the accident, authorities said.

He stepped in front of a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado traveling east on the 2900 block of Washington Road. The driver, Alan Hopwood, 44, of Augusta, did not have time to react, said Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Scott Gay.

Comments (3) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
itsanotherday1 06/03/12 - 09:40 am
Condolences to his family and

Condolences to his family and friends. The teevee says he ran across the road and was hit by a pickup truck, dying instantly from blunt force trauma. It really makes you wonder about the circumstances given it was almost 2am and likely little to no traffic.

Preacherman64 06/03/12 - 01:19 pm
So Sorry to All involved

I know this must be devastating to all concerned both the family and Mr. Alan Hopwood. May the Lord give His grace and comfort to all.

Tots 06/03/12 - 07:00 pm

Nope,didn't make me wonder about them itsanotherday..I'll wait till more details come out..

Prayers to both familes...

Back to Top
Search Augusta jobs
Top headlines
19 plea not guilty in Irish Traveler case
COLUMBIA -- Nineteen of 22 people indicted in the federal case involving Irish Travelers and Murphy Village entered not guilty pleas Tuesday and received $25,000 unsecured bonds.