Health Care

More | | | Editor

Third person with flesh-eating bacteria undergoing treatment in Augusta

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:39 AM
Last updated Monday, June 25, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Follow Health

A Cartersville man is facing his sixth surgery Tuesday after contracting the same flesh-decaying bacterial infection as Aimee Copeland.

Bobby Vaughn, 33, is the third person whose infection has come to light in recent weeks in the region.

Vaughn is being treated for necrotizing fasciitis at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center - the same hospital as Copeland.

Vaughn, a landscaper, has been in the hospital since May 4. He said he fell ill after getting a "very small cut on his leg" near his groin area while trimming weeds.

Comments (6)

Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
cozzster
50
Points
cozzster 05/22/12 - 02:54 am
0
0

It's the dirty water down

Unpublished

It's the dirty water down there..

seenitB4
72625
Points
seenitB4 05/22/12 - 07:17 am
0
0

I'm getting concerned

Another case....how many now.....N Ga waters....ok anotherday come on here & explain this to me cause I'm around N Ga waters...& area a lot.

Fundamental_Arminian
1725
Points
Fundamental_Arminian 05/22/12 - 07:50 am
2
0

Landscaper's Infection Troubling

The landscaper's infection is troubling because it resulted from yardwork. Years ago I talked to a doctor who said we ought to wear gloves, long pants, and long sleeves while gardening. He said it was surprising that more people weren't getting nasty infections. I know it's tempting to dress lightly for outdoors work in hot weather. We should rethink our ways.

curly123053
3199
Points
curly123053 05/22/12 - 08:01 am
0
0

I contracted Rocky Mountain

I contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever 2 years ago working in my yard. That was rough, but this flesh decaying bacteria is another thing. I agree with Fundamental Arminian about wearing appropiate clothing when doing certain work in the yard. I always wear pants when moving because you never know what can knick you. I pray for these 2 fighting this nasty infection.

itsanotherday1
34648
Points
itsanotherday1 05/22/12 - 08:49 am
0
0

I wager the latest victims

I wager the latest victims are infected with strep, very commonly found in the soil. The woman giving birth to the babies could have been infected during childbirth, as tissue tearing is common, and a variety of bacteria, including strep, can live in the vagina. (not to mention the really nasties that live in the colon, close by).

Follow the AJC link and you will see this condition is not uncommon, just uncommon to see cases like Copeland's.

itsanotherday1
34648
Points
itsanotherday1 05/22/12 - 08:57 am
1
0

I don't think

People should not overreact to these cases. Just practice normal hygiene when you get a cut; wash it out good, and cover it with dressing of OTC antibiotic. If it seems more sore than you normally expect, see a doctor right away, don't wait for it to turn into a crisis. We're all adults who've been beat up and banged up over the years, we know what is normal and what is not.

pommom38
1496
Points
pommom38 05/22/12 - 09:56 am
0
0

Not that uncommon

Due to all the media based on Aimee's case, it is brought to our attention more. Just recently, a male was at MUSC in SC with the same thing.
We didn't hear much (if anything at all) about it.
With all the surgeries and such that the young lady is enduring, she obviously got a major case of it and hope that somewhere in the world, a doctor knows how to knock it out!!
My parents taught me to be vigilant and take precautions anytime we got hurt, doesn't seem that all the precautions in the world can prevent this.

Back to Top

Top headlines

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...
Loading...